Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spark dwell time

Tuner in Training
    I am currently running drifter coils in my car at the moment and as best as I can determine they work exactly the same as the ford ones despite apparently having slightly more windings and better insulation. The supplier of these coils can not tell me the ideal dwell time per volt.

Supplier --> http://www.autotradqualityparts.com....ncluded/268245

I think I will have to set up an oscilliscope to measure the current in one of these coils while the car is idling. I should then be able to increase the dwell time until the coil charging slope shown on the oscilliscope flattens out indicating that the coil is fully charged.

Then I can compare this coil with custom dwell time to the stock ford coil and the stock dwell times

Advanced Tuner
    1mm preload doesn't really mean much. Unless you have tested is with an air supply and gauge you won't have and indication of cracking pressure or pressure to fully open.

You can test and adjust this on the car but it won't help a bad port job.

Advanced Tuner
    Get yourself a mityvac kit. Awesome for setting/testing actuators.

Use hole eclipse as reference benny

Half a hole preload is normally a good start with plenty of D/C to play with but if the case requires it as far down to a 1/4 preload can work well but again a bad port job just makes everything crap to work with because u just cant tune out bad hardware issues

Also benny 22 psi in hard is a huge wack and i assume u know what your doing but there is alot to be said about timing power vs boost power and keeping an engine in one piece, but other than this u may find a lower desired may help with the total duration boost level
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Guys for the feedback.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Wait 10 minutes and update.
    Eric, I am currently trying to create a spark cut launch control. I have read that setting a dwell time of 0 is essentially that. If that is correct then wouldn't a dwell time vs rpm with a trigger of clutch depression or wheel speed do what I'm trying to accomplish? And if so how would I go about getting such table?