Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert Diablo CMR Tune to HP Tuner

Potential Tuner

CMR to HPT update

Quote Originally Posted by Jan@xms View Post
    This is the best and most trouble free way to convert to HPT. Pull the Diablo file and save. Return to Stock with handheld, sell that junk. Update with Witech if you have it. Read and Save stock Calibration file. Open stock file, open Diablo file as compare. Go to compare tab and Select View comparison log, right click on top item in list and copy over all differences. Presto you now have Diablo Tune in HP format on latest Calibration save with a new file name and flash computer. Tune away on the transmission tables that you could not access in Diablo and enjoy all the time you saved from the crappy Diablo handheld and buggy software.
    I realize that this is a seriously old thread but, there is nothing newer out there and I wanted to check if anything has changed. Just got a DS i3 to play around and compare tunes. The DS folks say that I cannot read Diablo tunes to HPT and reload to ECU without "rendering useless" the intune. Maybe I misunderstood but, it sounded like they have a lock out key of some sort to prevent pirating of their tunes. Is this new and or just the same old lockout that requires always returning to stock tune before loading a new one?

Hi SilverBullett.

DiabloSport's licensing is very different -- and most would say, more complex -- than HP Tuners. HP Tuners is pretty straightforward: credits pay for VINs. Once you burn credits for a particular VIN, you can read and write tunes on that vehicle forever. DiabloSport "marries" a tuner to a particular VIN once any DS or custom tune is loaded into the ECU. The only way to unmarry the tuner is to restore the ECU back to the factory tune with the DS tuner.

This is all boring backstory that you probably already know. What it sounds like DiabloSport is saying is, if you load a DS tune with a DS tuner, then read/modify/write the tune with the HP Tuners VCM Suite, that DS tuner (i3) is useless until you use it to return the vehicle back to the factory tune (unmarry it). However, there's no reason why you couldn't:

1) Start with a factory tune
    2) Load the DS canned or custom tune with the DS tuner
    3) Copy the tune from the ECU with HP Tuners VCM Editor
    4) Restore the factory tune with the DS tuner
    5) Reload the copied tune back into the ECU with the VCM Editor

You'll then have a DS-sourced tune in VCM format loaded into your ECU, and an unmarried DS tuner ready to give/sell to a friend.

- Dave

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeek View Post
    Hi SilverBullett.

DiabloSport's licensing is very different -- and most would say, more complex -- than HP Tuners. HP Tuners is pretty straightforward: credits pay for VINs. Once you burn credits for a particular VIN, you can read and write tunes on that vehicle forever. DiabloSport "marries" a tuner to a particular VIN once any DS or custom tune is loaded into the ECU. The only way to unmarry the tuner is to restore the ECU back to the factory tune with the DS tuner.

This is all boring backstory that you probably already know. What it sounds like DiabloSport is saying is, if you load a DS tune with a DS tuner, then read/modify/write the tune with the HP Tuners VCM Suite, that DS tuner (i3) is useless until you use it to return the vehicle back to the factory tune (unmarry it). However, there's no reason why you couldn't:

1) Start with a factory tune
    2) Load the DS canned or custom tune with the DS tuner
    3) Copy the tune from the ECU with HP Tuners VCM Editor
    4) Restore the factory tune with the DS tuner
    5) Reload the copied tune back into the ECU with the VCM Editor

You'll then have a DS-sourced tune in VCM format loaded into your ECU, and an unmarried DS tuner ready to give/sell to a friend.

- Dave
    And that is exactly how it's done! Just ordered my MPVI2, I will copy my current tune from the ECU with HP/VCM. Restore stock with my Trinity 2 and package it up for resale!

Then I have all of my current set points within VCM Editor and can build so much more from there! Just sucks I need 4 credits alone for TCM tuning on HP.

Oh well..

Anyone have any cheap credits sites?!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by QABDJ View Post
    And that is exactly how it's done! Just ordered my MPVI2, I will copy my current tune from the ECU with HP/VCM. Restore stock with my Trinity 2 and package it up for resale!

Then I have all of my current set points within VCM Editor and can build so much more from there! Just sucks I need 4 credits alone for TCM tuning on HP.

Oh well..

Anyone have any cheap credits sites?!
    The Tuning School sells credits for a couple of bucks cheaper.
    https://thetuningschool.com/products...versal-credits

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    The Tuning School sells credits for a couple of bucks cheaper.
    https://thetuningschool.com/products...versal-credits
    Thanks for sharing homer! 4 for TCM though?! Whoa..