Thread: Anyone mind checking over a tune?

Potential Tuner

Anyone mind checking over a tune?

Hi guys,
    Hoping someone would be kind enough to check over a tune for me as we only really have HP Tuners for resetting the VATS and a few other output functions on LS engines fitted into conversions. Anyway work is a little slow at the moment so we thought we would have a look at the tune in the work ute, it is a BA XR6T totally standard. It had a re-flash done by PowerChip about 5 years ago and has ran fine. It has never been on a dyno, but it really doesn't feel much of a power upgrade over standard. Any suggestions? I had a bit of a look and compared it to a standard tune, it seemed as if they had done a few unusual things.
    Any input greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like it's running excessively rich up top and too lean on partial acceleration IMO. Also, the MTB lambda correction mostly zeroed which I don't think is a good idea as it will allow more timing than you theoretically need on a standard engine. Other than that, on boost timing is mostly stock so the extra fuel is just going to make it slower.

PS: I'm not pro

Advanced Tuner
    I'm no pro either, but agree with above^^^

It seems weird they've changed some trans functions when I believe it's a manual?

Looks like they've tuned it for open loop boost control which can make it less responsive!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Guys, yes correct it is a manual. I'm definitely no pro either, but for a so called tuning company I thought the tune might look a little better/consistent than what it is! Wondering if I might be better flashing a BA F6 calibration?

I understand the cooler on a standard turbo is a little smaller, but is their any other differences that might be a problem like injector flow rate, fuel pressure, cam profile, etc?

Tuner
    the oil warning will come up on your dash

Potential Tuner
    Excellent, good advice thanks Huddo. Care to elaborate, can it be over come? reasons why?

Advanced Tuner
    A lot has changed in the last 5yrs in terms of the approach tuning and the tools available. To me it just looks like a 5yr old tune.

You cannot run an FPV strategy in a non FPV pcm

There's slight differences in the architecture of the pcm that will cause you issues.

Your far better off looking at the changes FPV made, understanding them and applying them to your own strategy.

Tuner in Training
    "The Powerchip will tap into your Ford’s ‘hidden
    reserves’, to give you an immediately noticeable improvement
    from your vehicle – we guarantee it!"

Its ok he got his on performance forums back in the day

Also think he got a "gearboxing" for his efforts
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    It was nothing personal, just the fact that we're discussing how 'average' the powerchip tune is.

Get a ppwerchip chip and see how crap they were lol
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day