Thread: SKIM Disable?

Tuner in Training

SKIM Disable?

I got my 2.25 beta working. I went to disable my skim and write the disable into my srt4. It didn't disable. Do I need to unplug my skim and then write the pcm. Could it be seeing skim still connected and go back to activating skim?

Quote Originally Posted by mopar2 View Post
    I got my 2.25 beta working. I went to disable my skim and write the disable into my srt4. It didn't disable. Do I need to unplug my skim and then write the pcm. Could it be seeing skim still connected and go back to activating skim?
    What is your OS ID? Should be listed in Edit->Calibration Details.

Tuner in Training
    A lil update. Last night I unplugged my skim module. Wrote the computer with the skim disabled. Still skim is working, car wouldn't run with it unplugged and a disable written in. Plugged it back in and walked away lol.

Advanced Tuner
    I can confirm the same experience as mopar2. Unplugged the SKIM module, wrote the tune to the PCM using the "Write Entire" function with SKIM disabled in the tune, fired the car up and it shut itself off within seconds. Plugged the SKIM back in, and it continues running just fine.

For the record, my OS ID is: 05029415AF

Further research has revealed that the SKIM function is something that supposedly cannot be disabled once enabled (at least not by a dealer's DRB III scan tool). Supposedly, if you send the PCM into the actual PCM manufacturer (or a few other specialized shops that deal with computer reprogramming - Perhaps Flight Systems is the actual manufacturer of the PCM [http://fseg.net/turnkey/contact/]), they can reset it with their equipment. From there, if you install the PCM into a vehicle with a SKIM module attached, it will automatically re-enable the SKIM module, and you are up the creek, again. However, if you get it back in an "as-new" state (meaning the SKIM hasn't been activated) or reset by the manufacturer and install it into a vehicle that does NOT have the SKIM module connected, it will never require the security protocols tied to the SKIS in order to run the vehicle it is installed to.

Not sure if HPTuners will be able to replicate the ability to actually reset/disable SKIM, but I wouldn't put it past them getting it figured out, given enough time working on it. Whether or not they'll commit the time to it is another story. I'm sure they have plenty enough on their plate, already. But a guy can hope!

I'm looking for a SKIM resolution as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Just by way of an update on this matter, in the last month or so, HPTuners made an update to the "Security" tab in the interface to include a "SKIM capable" Enable/Disable function, on top of the already existing "SKIM" Enable/Disable function. I thought this might be the golden ticket to getting past the SKIM system, so I just gave it a shot on my personal car.

1) I unplugged the fuse to the PCM to clear any stored memory in the PCM.
    2) While the PCM fuse was unplugged, I disconnected the harness from the SKIM module.
    3) I plugged the PCM fuse back in.
    4) I opened the VCM Suite, disabled both the "SKIM capable" and "SKIM" functions.
    5) I wrote the calibration to the car using the "Write Entire" function.
    6) After finishing the flash, I attempted to start the car, and... NOTHING. LOL! No power was sent to the starter, the engine won't even crank. I even tried plugging the SKIM back in to see if it was keeping things from starting, but still nothing.

So, after reconnecting the SKIM module, I re-enabled both the "SKIM Capable" and "SKIM" functions in the calibration, rewrote the calibration (again, using the "Write Entire" function), and the car was back to normal. Starts fine, continues to run.

So, while I truly appreciate HPTuners effort in helping us bypass the SKIM system, I still don't think they quite have it figured out. Either that, or there is a particular procedure involving an order in which to Enable/Disable both of the functions under the Security tab.

Hoping that someone can get this figured out, as it will be an immense help to those who have a car that has been pieced back together using multiple vehicles, or for anyone that wants to do a swap using the factory PCM, but not wanting to use the SKIM system.

What HPTuners doesnt give you guys access to is the RAM memory and thats where you have to shut the skim off at.

Tuner
    Did you try unplugging the skim module with the car running ?

It Won't work. Trust me I disable skim modules all the time for customers. You can't do it from teh config switches. It has to be done else where. And the HP software doesn't give access

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparking View Post
    It Won't work. Trust me I disable skim modules all the time for customers. You can't do it from teh config switches. It has to be done else where. And the HP software doesn't give access
    don't leave us hanging??????????

SKIM diable

i have a 6.1 gen 3 out of an 07 300c SRT in an Aussie valiant charger and have successfully disabled SKIM, it starts and runs with the SKIM module disconnected
    Last edited by wogboy; 04-05-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wogboy View Post
    i have a 6.1 gen 3 out of an 07 300c SRT in an Aussie valiant charger and have successfully disabled SKIM, it starts and runs with the SKIM module disconnected
    let us know how

i'm no guru at this. just using hp editor, under the system tab, in general is SKIM able and disable, click on disable in both boxes, make sure if you have a SKIM module it's unplugged, the flash the ECM, done

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wogboy View Post
    i'm no guru at this. just using hp editor, under the system tab, in general is SKIM able and disable, click on disable in both boxes, make sure if you have a SKIM module it's unplugged, the flash the ECM, done

This seems logical. Anybody else have success doing this?
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We do not offer skim disable on ANY dodge other than 08+ viper ecm's.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

Did not get option for "SKIM disable for retrofit"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I wrote the calibration and did not get the option for "SKIM disable for retrofit" in the drop down after. Any idea what to try next?