Thread: Is tuning a 4L60E the same no matter what vehicle it's in??

Advanced Tuner

Is tuning a 4L60E the same no matter what vehicle it's in??

Are all 4L60E's the same tuning wise? I'd think that tuning one in a Trail/'Voy/9-7x would be the same as in an F-body.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist
    Are all 4L60E's the same tuning wise? I'd think that tuning one in a Trail/'Voy/9-7x would be the same as in an F-body.

Yes.

I assume you are less than impressed with the spongy shift in the Trail/'Voy/9-7x? Not to mention it takes forever to go from 1st to second gear at wide open throttle....

i can 2nd that, the less impressed part ...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Ill 3rd it, man it lags horribly with the pedal to the floor, like 2ish seconds!! Talk about forever, sheesh GM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    Ill 3rd it, man it lags horribly with the pedal to the floor, like 2ish seconds!! Talk about forever, sheesh GM.
    1->2 is a big gear ratio change. GM does not want you to spill your coffee latte during that morning commute

are there any parameters that could be added..so we can spill our coffee

or at a minimum cause others to spill their coffe as they get scared by the quick response and sudden loud volume of our performance machine..LOL
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    As you can see in my signature, I daily drive a 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 5 speed automatic and if I keep it at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle, it bangs shifts smoothly at 3000 rpm and the tach just sits there. Every time I drive my wife's 9-7x, the 1-2 shift takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r and I find myself modulating the gas peddle to try and get smoother acceleration but it doesn't help.

What I have also found to be annoying is the damn electric throttle body. It's like 1-2 second delay after I push on the gas before it actually responds and accelerates, can HP Tuners change that? I'm guessing it's similar to the 'vettes with their electric throttle bodies.

I'm going to be purchasing HP Tuners in the upcoming weeks/month and just want to get up to speed on what I can and can't do with it.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hey Brian, I was actually toying a bit with your tune last night to see whats up...those I6's are confusing as hell, they have no maf, multiple VE tables, multiple timing tables + add in the variable valve timing tables...it all gets confusing to even me to be honest. As far as your shifting goes there are probably 10-15 tq managment tables at your finger tips...I can only assume thats a large part of it...if you want to stop by one day I can get a tune partially put together that we can try out if you'd like...Im currently out of work with the state shut down so maybe tomorrow if the weathers clear if you wanted to come down to trenton I could throw something in. Give me a hollar & I'll give you my address.

lata
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Bill,

Give me a call, either at work or on the cell phone. I'll PM them to you.

Potential Tuner
    I find if you smooth and play with the Shift Speed vs. TPS vs. Shift tables (NORMAL, PERFORMANCE, CRUISE and HOT) you can get better shifting.

...but remember, on the shift speed, dont go below 0.150, because the pcm will get confused.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    ...but remember, on the shift speed, dont go below 0.150, because the pcm will get confused.

I wonder if thats the same with a 4T40E and a 4cyl....
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!