Thread: problems with writing

problems with writing

A few times when I have got to flash my car it has done the pcm erase then failed in the write, then it hasn't been able to write because can't find file to start. Luckly I still have a old capa box so just flash a file back on then start over. Just wondering if same thing happened and didn't have the capa box to reflash would I be stuck?

Cheers Josh

Advanced Tuner
    Josh,
    For years mine worked perfectly then one day I had a similar issue and was not able to write the pcm successfully at all and got strange errors after (cant remember if it is the same error you were getting). Turned out I had put in the garage a radio and was listening to it when I tried to flash. Disconnected the radio and no problems since so you might want to check for signal noise where you are flashing the car. It does not seem to matter if the car radio is on when flashing (was listening to both radios when this problem occurred).

Darryl.

I don't think it was that because even happened once in the middle of nowhere luckily I had the capa box has happened on 2 different cars, I just fear if I was to flash a mates and they don't have a capa box and it clears then I can't flash with hp would be stuck. When I has happened I havnt really tried to much to redo with hp because had the capa box there so just quickly reflashed with capa box then tried again with hp.

When you start the flash it checks the pcm for the file then starts by erasing it, so if it starts erases it then stops and you try to start again it starts by looking for the file on the pcm and can't find it so won't start. Where as the capa box doesn't really care it will start either way

Advanced Tuner
    Battery voltage is the #1 cause of failed flashes. Turn off everything in the car that isn't required for the flash process.

If it fails, don't stress. Turn off the key, unplug the mvpi (from the car and lsptop) shut down the software and restart the process. The software will detect the failed flash and start the recovery process.

I once left my ba for ten days after a failed flash and it recovered fine. The ford pcms are pretty robust.

We got in the habbit of using a c-tek charger throughout any tuning process as we found battery voltage to be an issue with crappy batterys and it just kept a constant base with the heavy loading of start stop
    Ull see in nearly any of our dyno vids the c-tek hiding in there up front

FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

It's not a major issue the failed flashes it doesn't happen that often, I make sure I run the car for 5mins before I flash if had been sitting over night and is ok. If it happens again I'll have to give it a go with hp again to see what happens instead of just going straight to the capa box. Cheers guys