Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e with tap shift no BCM

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddah View Post
    Tried that but then all you get is manual shifts not automatic shifts at all.

I ordered a BCM, I will go that way and see if I can getr cruise control and a few other advantages also.

Looking for the connectors for the BCM now.
    Try these setting
    TUTD.jpg

TUTD UpDown Enable Req: Enable/disable the requirement for an up/down request and a mode request to enable TUTD
    TUTD Hold Shift Enable: Enable/disable a shift to occur if the driver is holding down the TUTD switch

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddah View Post
    OK so I figured out they have combined all the tables into one in the newer HPT versions. I have it configured and burned in I am still working on understanding the whole TUTD operations. I found where I could add monitoring the Trans shift lever functions like Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive but as expected with my G8GT shifter when I go to the notch below D which I assume is Sport mode I see D6 displayed.
    I am still a bit fuzzy on the setting to limit when TU/TD is available, in some of the instructions I saw they had selected D4 as the prerequisite for TU/TD to work and I cant get that to show up in my Car nothing below D6.
    Can anyone help me understand this setting?
    had this exact problem on a car, flashed in a corvette os. it then showed the D5 option. nothing i did on the original holden cal would make it change

Tuner in Training
    Great info in this thread...I tried to put it all together the best I can on tis video. https://youtu.be/34u5nH06x6Y Thanks for the help getting TUTD working.

Potential Tuner
    Hello, is there any help? I have a LS3 engine and a 6l80 TCM and I would like to connect tap up/ tap down, as I connected pin7 on Transmition and B+ with a correct resistors, and I modified the software pcm via hp tuner. but the option does not work.what do I do?

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys. I need a little help with some resistor math.

The basic question is this... Is it possible to use the OE column shifter (fixed resistance values) without running the signal through a BCM?
    (without cracking open shifter to rewire it... not sure I can without destroying it)

I've looked at resistance values in this writeup that correspond to the Vette's resistance values without a BCM.
    However, a key difference between the two configurations is that the Vette switch resistors are essentially in parallel, which provides a secondary flow of power whenever either switch is activated (power runs through 8.25K resistor plus either the 4.42K or the 1.5K).

The resulting readings are in the table below:
    Code:
    Resistor Values	Action	 Wire Reading	Notes
    8.25k ohm	Open	 8.25k	 	thru 8.25k only
    4.42k ohm	Tap Down 2.88k	  	thru both 8.25k & 4.42K
    1.5k ohm	Tap up	 1.27k	  	thru both 8.25k & 1.5k

However, the OE Column shifter works a little differently.
    The resistors are wired in SERIES. In open circuit mode (no switch activated) the power would run through all 3 resistors sequentially. The resistance values being 1.87K, 2.1K & 2.87K.
    When the switch is activated, power still runs through all 3 resistors but also runs off a separate branch through only 1 or 2 of the other resistors, so now it's part series and part parallel.
    I can find an online calulator when the circuit is all series or all parallel, but this one boggles my mind a little bit...
    My goal is still to wire up the column shifter directly to the trans connector (no BCM), but I am wondering if I can do this by supplementing the column shifter with an additional resistor (on either input or output line) to hit the same target values?

Code:
    Resistor Values	Action	 Wire Reading	Notes
    2.87k ohm	Open	 6.84k	 	in series thru all 3 resistors
    2.1k ohm	Tap Down 3.97k	  	Series thru all 3? plus the 2.87 and 1.87+2.1 are parallel?
    1.87k ohm	Tap up	 1.87k	  	Series thru all 3? plus the 2.87 and 1.87 are parallel
    The at wire readings seem to indicate that the 3rd resister cuts out whenever the button is pushed, because the reading value is only the sum of the 2 (TU) or the 1 (TD). But open circuit is the sum of all 3. Unless the math just happens to work out that way...

Not even sure I'm explaining this 100% accurately, but one of you electrical gurus will probably look at the 2 diagrams and know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Is there a way to wire up the column shifter directly to the trans by adding something to the wiring, without having to crack open the shifter itself?
    It would seem the open circuit reading needs to be higher, but the Tu7TD reading would need to be lower...

vette shift.png
    Col shift.png
    Last edited by testa_rossa; 04-25-2022 at 08:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Will this work with a Camaro 2013 tune?

Im swapping a LS3 + 6l80e into a C10. I want to use the stock column shifter to operate P N R D L

Thinking of just adding a flip switch on the steering to activate sport mode than buttons to TU/TD

Could it work like that, or do I need to move the shifter column to L, one step after D to make it work?

Potential Tuner
    I am unable to get my TUTD working on my transmission I have it hardwired and I see the signal to TU and TD using other software but I there is no response for the transmission. I am in D4 and am unsure what I am missing or if I have an incorrect OS. below is a link to the cal and a log going down the road

https://technicalsercicesin-my.share...2GP6Q?e=HDZfNO

I just wanted to let anyone know who is checking this post that you can use a factory tap shifter from a GM truck that came with a 6l80 or 6l90. The factory resistance values are incorrect and won't trigger any shifts but it's possible to replace the factory resistors. You'll need to take apart the switch by popping off the cover, then releasing the retaining tab holding down the micro switch in the shifter. Once it's out you'll need to open it totally up, I did this by cutting off the plastic tabs holding it closed. Once it's open you'll need to carefully pry the board off of the two contact pins, then flip the board over to see three small resistors on it, these are what you need to replace. You'll need to order 1206 series surface mount resistors for it. The three values you'll need are 5.36k, 1.27k, and 1.62k. If you're looking at the board with resistors facing you orientate it so you have one resistor on the top half and two on the bottom half. Then starting from top down the needed values are 5.36k at the top, 1.27k in the middle, and 1.62k at the bottom. Once you've done that put the switch back in the shifter and assuming you have your tune correct everything should work.

Quote Originally Posted by CapsizedVeteran View Post
    I just wanted to let anyone know who is checking this post that you can use a factory tap shifter from a GM truck that came with a 6l80 or 6l90. The factory resistance values are incorrect and won't trigger any shifts but it's possible to replace the factory resistors. You'll need to take apart the switch by popping off the cover, then releasing the retaining tab holding down the micro switch in the shifter. Once it's out you'll need to open it totally up, I did this by cutting off the plastic tabs holding it closed. Once it's open you'll need to carefully pry the board off of the two contact pins, then flip the board over to see three small resistors on it, these are what you need to replace. You'll need to order 1206 series surface mount resistors for it. The three values you'll need are 5.36k, 1.27k, and 1.62k. If you're looking at the board with resistors facing you orientate it so you have one resistor on the top half and two on the bottom half. Then starting from top down the needed values are 5.36k at the top, 1.27k in the middle, and 1.62k at the bottom. Once you've done that put the switch back in the shifter and assuming you have your tune correct everything should work.
    Nice. Got pictures? No pictures then it didn't happen.

Here's the board with the new resistors soldered in place. That's all I've got though ��

IMG_20230123_105857832.jpg

LS3 6L80E Tap shifter not working

Hello, I am currently having a problem with the TUTD and it sound familiar to some of the problems you guys are having. I have a LS3 with a 6L80E with a lokar shifter. I believe i have everything correct, resistance is good, TUTD settings are correct with Range Active at D6, when i put into drive it reads D6, but when I put it into sport mode the TUTD setting will not pop up in the PRND column. Below I have posted the Tune if you guys could look at it and see if there is maybe something im missing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    @veee8 @87skier

Hi guys, Been reading this thread over and over and trying to get my TUTD to work..

I have an LT L83 2017+ 5.3 out of a truck with a 6L80 transmission with a BP automotive standalone harness which is wired with a 12V+ and the other wire pinned at PIN 7 at the Tranny.. but unable to get my TUTD to work.. BP are saying to have it flashed with a Corvette OS which i tried but its not shifting into TUTD when put into D4.. its using a Malibu ground shifter with has the exact OHMs in the buttons as you guys have stated..

If you guys or anyone else is able to help please lemme know i can send my tune file across for modifications if necessary..

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hello, I am currently having a problem with the TUTD and it sound familiar to some of the problems you guys are having. I have a LS3 with a 6L80E with a lokar shifter. I believe i have everything correct, resistance is good, TUTD settings are correct with Range Active at D6, when i put into drive it reads D6, but when I put it into sport mode the TUTD setting will not pop up in the PRND column. Below I have posted the Tune if you guys could look at it and see if there is maybe something im missing.
    Do you have the Lokar shifter that has the sport shift position after drive or to the side of drive?
    -Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Potential Tuner
    Someone mentioned a rock crawler on here. I have a question regarding the capability of this for crawling. I have an H3 with a 6.2L, just pulled the 4l60e and going with a 6l80e. Behind it is a Np205 doubler on 1 ton axles and 43in tires. In certain scenarios starting in 2nd or 3rd may be nice to get wheel speed in sloppy conditions. In TUTD mode can you shift it to 2nd or 3rd and have it start in that gear or does it always start in 1st?

Tuner in Training
    I do a lot of these stand alone tu/td. I had one that would not work no matter what. All the values and voltages were correct. Made a box to rule out the paddles and shifter and still nothing. Talked to a really smart guy at Speartech. Under trans diag, set U0121 to do not report and set U0140 to do not report. Depending on the OS it is looking for a bcm and/or abs control module. If it doesn't see them, no tu/td. Shut them off and everything works like it's supposed to.

Potential Tuner
    https://youtu.be/1CcLKwIArgk

I still need to test drive it but I think I got it to work

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by V8R View Post
    I do a lot of these stand alone tu/td. I had one that would not work no matter what. All the values and voltages were correct. Made a box to rule out the paddles and shifter and still nothing. Talked to a really smart guy at Speartech. Under trans diag, set U0121 to do not report and set U0140 to do not report. Depending on the OS it is looking for a bcm and/or abs control module. If it doesn't see them, no tu/td. Shut them off and everything works like it's supposed to.
    @V8R I struggled with mine for two months, re wiring, flashing and re flashing etc. Everything was right. This post saved me, those DTCs would have taken ages to find. Thanks!!! TUTD is now working, just need to get torque management to rev match, it's chirping the tires on downshift.

Potential Tuner
    did you ever finish this

Tuner in Training
    I used a lot of the information in this thread to set this up on a car I am working on, Thanks for this.
    I have a question, with the 2 switch (Up/down) wiring we see here, and how activating one of the switches puts it into TUTD mode, what makes it leave TUTD and go back to normal ? Is there a time out parameter somewhere ?

turn on sport mode to activate TUTD.
    Some have a shifter with an (M) on it that activated TUTD