Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e with tap shift no BCM

Tuner in Training
    Congrats on getting it to work! Apparently I am the only one who cant get this to work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ntilley52 View Post
    Success! i got it working, just some settings in the NORMAL TUTD SPEED charts. Works like i want now. Thanks for the help guys, especially 87skier. I guess i just need more hands on time with the software to learn the order of operations
    Great info!!

Is the last file you posted the working file?

Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Congrats on getting it to work! Apparently I am the only one who cant get this to work.
    Let's start from square 1.

What engine and transmission are you using?
    What OS for engine/transmission?
    What vehicle did it go in?
    BCM?
    What shifter are you using?
    What shift quadrants do you have? PRND, PRND,D4,3,2,1 etc...
    Did you make your own switch wiring or buy a setup?
    What is the switch wired to?
    Pulling the connector on the transmission, is TUTD wire in pin 7? Is it fully seated?
    What does it do?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 87skier View Post
    Let's start from square 1.

What engine and transmission are you using?
    What OS for engine/transmission?
    What vehicle did it go in?
    BCM?
    What shifter are you using?
    What shift quadrants do you have? PRND, PRND,D4,3,2,1 etc...
    Did you make your own switch wiring or buy a setup?
    What is the switch wired to?
    Pulling the connector on the transmission, is TUTD wire in pin 7? Is it fully seated?
    What does it do?
    The engine is a Gen IV 6.0 LY6 from a 2010 2500, The transmission is a 6l80 from a 2013 Camaro SS.
    The ECM OS is 12653249, The Trans OS is 24261871
    The Swap is in a 77 FJ40 land cruiser
    I am not running a BCM
    I am using a RAD Design Winters shifter
    I have PRND321
    I purchased the shifter setup and wiring from RAD Design. It uses momentary switches and a centering spring on the winters shifter so that in position 3 you can bump left or right for the shift command
    The switch is wired to 12v and to the TUTD wire in the harness which goes to Pin 7 on the trans connector.
    I pulled the connector and get the signal to the pin at the connector, it appears seated on the harness side of the connector and I am not sure what happens with that wire on the trans side except that it must go into the TCM.

Even when copying the tune from this thread that used the same OS in the trans the shift mode never changes from normal in the scanner. I have it set to activate in D5 and confirmed that in position 3 on the shifter the scanner shows D5. My current tune is attached.

Thanks again for the continued help!6-3 Land Cruiser Trans Test.hpt

Are there any DTC's?
    Do you have any issues other than TUTD not working (bad shift flares, slow shifts, harsh shifts, slipping)?
    Can you post a log with "PRNDL status", "Trans shift mode", "Trans current gear" when attempting to use it?
    What happens when you attempt to use it when driving? Stopped?

Potential Tuner
    Hi all, been reading all the info and setting up a Patrol L98/6L80e combo without BCM for TUTD. I will run down whats happening and see if anyone can shed more light, set up parameters in ecu for tutd to work, ran wire from shifter to pin 7, everything looks ok. On the scan tool it wont recognise active shift and therefore no tutd, however it does tell me that its in downshift with shifter in the middle, push forward and hold and it says none, pull back and hold and it says upshift, release back to centre and it goes back to downshift. Checked voltages at shifter when in neutral and drive and its about battery, move across to active mode and voltage drops to around 10.5, move forward to downshift and voltage will rise to about 11.8, pull back to upshift and its about 11.3. I dont know what it should read as I have no specs but its changing according to movement. I have tried several OS combos as it came with an ecu setup from an Escalade. Trans and ecu are matched and engine is an Australian L98. My question is should I look at hardware, software, wiring or all of the above. I have done the setup in the past with the bcm but this one was giving so much trouble I decided to search for another method and came up with this from the forum. Yes I have 12v on the other side of the shifter, I have activated the tutd and set to hardwired, messed around with a multitude of ecu settings with no result, so I may be looking in the wrong spot, any light on the subject would be appreciated. It has a stock Holden Commodore shifter to suit.
    Last edited by efid; 07-05-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Tuner in Training

confirm?

OK, awesome info. Please help me be sure here. So it looks to me like pin 7 of the TCM is GMLAN (or CANBUS). Are you saying we send the output voltage from resister tree right into canbus? Thanks in Advance...Dalton

Quote Originally Posted by 87skier View Post
    Attachment 76727

It looks at two things. First, "Range Active". You can display the PRNDL status in the scanner and set this to whatever gear position you like. For mine, the second position between 1 and D6, shows up as D4, so I set it that I need to manually shift to D4 to enable TUTD.

Next it looks at "Up/Down Req". I have this enabled meaning I need to command a shift before TUTD enables. From here, it shifts with the switch.

The resistors can always be powered up or switched with the key. Giving no power then power to the transmission won't do anything. If you want it to work in your usual Drive selection, change "Range Active" to D6, then simply press the button to activate TUTD. To get out of TUTD mode, you need to shift to N, or another gear then back to drive. This is why I set it up to use a different gear.

Tuner in Training
    Hi all, I have still been unable to get this to work.

As lots of time has passed, any new developments on getting this to work?

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    6speed TapupTapdown No BCM Truck Tune.doc
    Here's a tutorial I put together in Word format.
    It worked for me; 2016 L96/6L90e/No BCM/NOT using Corvette tune.

Tuner in Training
    I tried this last night and it still did not work. I do have a p0315 permanent code showing but it is not activating the CEL. I did try a crank relearn and it did not change anything.

In order to run the crank relearn with a Tech2 you need to be at running temperature, you need an e-brake signal and a brake signal then you can run the process.

With HPTuners I am not sure what all is needed.

It will affect how the motor runs but I don't know that it affects TUTD.

Tuner in Training
    HP Tuners gives the same procedure. However I am not sure about the Ebrake signal. I do not have an Ebrake and I don't see where the ECM would receive an EBrake signal.

Tuner in Training
    Hey all,
    Looking for a little help here.
    I have a project using a 2008 Pontiac G8GT 6.0 with the 6L80E in a 1966 Chevelle Malibu. I have a modified harness that connects the output from the Factory G8GT dual mode shifter connected to Pin #7 on the trans. I have Dalton Edwards write up on shifting the 6L80 without using the Body Control Module.
    I also have HP Tuners software and am comfortable with modding the software configurations.
    I would like to know if the output from the shifter is a measurable voltage output going to the trans or if its a load of some sort pulling the lines low when the UP / DOWN is shifted?
    Just looking to check the shifter for correct operation before attaching the transmission wires to the shifter.

Car is together and running / drivable I am going to dive into the tap shift aspect and am just looking to get on stable footing before I start programming I want to be sure everything up to the shifter output is operating correctly.

Tuner in Training
    I know nothing about the G8 shifter but I did try using the tapshift buttons from the van donor that supplied the motor and transmission for my swap. It was just a resistor tree powered by 12V but it wouldn't work. The way I understand it, the BCM translates the various voltages to CANBUS language and sends to transmission on the CANBUS data lines. Once you remove the BCM you will have to send a specific voltage signal to pin 7 and that voltage differs from what the tapshift buttons put out. For that reason, I suspect your factory G8GT shifter won't work unless you can make it produce the same voltages (by having the same resistance) as the resistor tree in my tutorial. Note also the connection type is changed to "hardwired" via HPTuners.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah, throw g8 shifter away. just run a wire to pin8 on the tcm connector to cabin.

run a shifter with at least 5 detents. PRNDL for instance

in the tune set the following tabs like the pictures
    6l80e-hardwire.PNG

6l80e-hardwire-diagnostics.PNG

The only thing you need to check is the range active mode. You can just log the trans PRNDL Status pid that will show what drive mode your in.

For example in most cars D6 is the normal drive mode, pull shifter back once more and you either get D5, D4 or D3. That's the range you set for Active.

You could technically set D6 too if you want tapshift enabled before normal drive mode & D5 becomes normal.

now as for the wiring of your momentary switches, this is the wiring diagram for the clockspring for a steering wheel with tapshift controls from a holden commodore, this is how i have wired up multiple cars, even my own (the resistance levels have already been mentioned in this thread.

vz-clockspring.png

you essentially feed 12v to a wire that runs through your resister-ed buttons then into the tapshift signal wire. just think of the tapshift wire as the GND.

Tuner in Training
    OK I am working the TUTD today and referencing Dalton Edwards 11/18.2019 sheet.
    I can follow along until it tells me to $B1 go to click the "UPSHIFT" button but in my HPT Ver 4.6.3 version I see the following choices
    HPTcapture1JPG.JPGHPTcapture1JPG.JPGHPTcapture1JPG.JPG

Did I go astray or am I in a different menu or version of HPT?

I can see the upshift and downshift tables and can sort of correlate between them, Just want to be sure before committing to an edit.
    Last edited by Toddah; 05-06-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm using version 4.4.4. When you click on the "Normal" button do you get the chart for "Upshift Speed vs. TPS vs. Shift - TUTD"? If not, dig around til you find it. It might look like the chart that follows step 4B1 in my tutorial.

Tuner in Training
    OK so I figured out they have combined all the tables into one in the newer HPT versions. I have it configured and burned in I am still working on understanding the whole TUTD operations. I found where I could add monitoring the Trans shift lever functions like Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive but as expected with my G8GT shifter when I go to the notch below D which I assume is Sport mode I see D6 displayed.
    I am still a bit fuzzy on the setting to limit when TU/TD is available, in some of the instructions I saw they had selected D4 as the prerequisite for TU/TD to work and I cant get that to show up in my Car nothing below D6.
    Can anyone help me understand this setting?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddah View Post
    OK so I figured out they have combined all the tables into one in the newer HPT versions. I have it configured and burned in I am still working on understanding the whole TUTD operations. I found where I could add monitoring the Trans shift lever functions like Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive but as expected with my G8GT shifter when I go to the notch below D which I assume is Sport mode I see D6 displayed.
    I am still a bit fuzzy on the setting to limit when TU/TD is available, in some of the instructions I saw they had selected D4 as the prerequisite for TU/TD to work and I cant get that to show up in my Car nothing below D6.
    Can anyone help me understand this setting?
    Simply replace D4 with D6 then

Tuner in Training

tried that

Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Simply replace D4 with D6 then
    Tried that but then all you get is manual shifts not automatic shifts at all.

I ordered a BCM, I will go that way and see if I can getr cruise control and a few other advantages also.

Looking for the connectors for the BCM now.