Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 6l80e with tap shift no BCM

Tuner in Training
    I am also intersted in know how/if HP tuners can do this. This is my deciding factor in getting HP tuners or spending the extra $$ on EFI Live. Just put LS3/6L80E in my 67 Camaro.

I have posted this up on multiple threads. Yes, I have gotten a silverado 6L80e file to TUTD without a BCM. I will post the screen shots of the calibration.. again here. You will also need the Speartech shifter with the TUTD buttons, or another means of sending the proper signal for it to work.

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    I am unable to find those setting on your second picture. You are showing charts for upshift and down shift speed vs. TPS. The only settings I can find are just labeled shift speed vs. TPS. I am able to change the settings from your first picture. The only one that I didnt have matched to yours is the Hold Shift was disabled. I am not sure if that could have been why it wasnt working.

Thanks for your reply!

That particular operating system has the upshift and downshift in separate tables, and has a really tall gear. You have to just use a little ingenuity to match them up with what your operating system uses. So if yours has the part throttle upshift and downshift in one table, you just look at the corresponding areas of your tables.
    Lots of variables too, including what tire and gear you are running. This is just showing that some areas of the table will be raised up to allow the TUTD to be utilized, then it will automatically downshift as you slow down, if you forget or choose not to manually downshift just like OEM.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

I'm working on this now. Hopefully will be testing in a few weeks and will report back. My setup is 2013 4.8L and 6L90E with T43 controller. I added a wire into the transmission harness and ran that into the cab.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    I have posted this up on multiple threads. Yes, I have gotten a silverado 6L80e file to TUTD without a BCM. I will post the screen shots of the calibration.. again here. You will also need the Speartech shifter with the TUTD buttons, or another means of sending the proper signal for it to work.

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png

THANKS Veeed!!!
    I am trying to get a handle on this tap shift and you are the first person who has been able to give me true proof that it is possible.
    I have HP Tuners 3.6 and a complete E38 LS2 / 6L80E and the tap shifter all from the same car. When I got the drivetrain I was not aware I needed the BCM to enable tap shift so I did not grab it.
    I have 2 questions for you if you can possibly answer them you would be a lifesaver.
    (1) Is there a dedicated line in to the TCM to tell the Trans you are in Manual mode or is it something it sees on the pin 7 input when you shift into manual?
    (2) Can you tell me what the Ohms (or Voltage) readings are when you hit Manual, Shift up and Shift down on your shifter? I am trying to figure out if they are the same as my G8GT factory shifter or if I am still out in the weeds trying to use this shifter... The sPearT* shifter looks like a Cadillac shifter which I assume would be similar to mine.
    I am not trying to do anything commercial just get my car shifting like I wanted.
    THanks

Speartech has the info you need right here. That have a switch box to use other shifters besides theirs.

http://www.speartech.com/product_p/tssb.htm

Also here is the wiring info.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    www.crawford-racing.com

Tuner in Training
    I have heard mixed info on whether this can be done in conjunction with a VVT engine. Anyone done this successfully with VVT like an LY6 or other variant?

Advanced Tuner
    I've heard this also.. about to find out!! But why wouldn't it work with VVT?

Tuner in Training
    I truly dont know why it wouldnt work but I do know that I have heard this rumor before and have so far been unable to make mine work but this is my first 6l80 tune so I have been blaming my inexperience so far. My combo is an LY6 6l80 programmed as a 2012 suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    I have heard mixed info on whether this can be done in conjunction with a VVT engine. Anyone done this successfully with VVT like an LY6 or other variant?
    I have an L20 (4.8L with VVT) with e38 and 6L90E with T43 controller and using veee8's info it works exactly as it should. This engine was out of a van if anyone is curious.

If anyone is looking to make their own harness you'll need:

6L80/90 connector: Mouser
    Cable seal: EFI Connection

8.25k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key
    4.42k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key
    1.5k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key

You'll also need either two switches or a momentary on-off-on switch. I recommend the second so that up and down can't be requested at the same time. I know this is from 3 different places, but all the part numbers are here. The kostal connectors for the transmission are hard to find.

Tuner
    So how does the transmission know it is in sport/manual mode? Is this circuit not powered when in drive (D) and when the 8.25k ohm part of the circuit is energised that enables manual mode? Is the following correct;

No power=Drive
    8.25kohm=Sport/Manual
    8.25kohm+4.42kohm=Tap Up
    8.25kohm+1.5kohm=Tap Down.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTuner View Post
    So how does the transmission know it is in sport/manual mode? Is this circuit not powered when in drive (D) and when the 8.25k ohm part of the circuit is energised that enables manual mode? Is the following correct;

No power=Drive
    8.25kohm=Sport/Manual
    8.25kohm+4.42kohm=Tap Up
    8.25kohm+1.5kohm=Tap Down.
    Capture.JPG

It looks at two things. First, "Range Active". You can display the PRNDL status in the scanner and set this to whatever gear position you like. For mine, the second position between 1 and D6, shows up as D4, so I set it that I need to manually shift to D4 to enable TUTD.

Next it looks at "Up/Down Req". I have this enabled meaning I need to command a shift before TUTD enables. From here, it shifts with the switch.

The resistors can always be powered up or switched with the key. Giving no power then power to the transmission won't do anything. If you want it to work in your usual Drive selection, change "Range Active" to D6, then simply press the button to activate TUTD. To get out of TUTD mode, you need to shift to N, or another gear then back to drive. This is why I set it up to use a different gear.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 87skier View Post
    Capture.JPG

It looks at two things. First, "Range Active". You can display the PRNDL status in the scanner and set this to whatever gear position you like. For mine, the second position between 1 and D6, shows up as D4, so I set it that I need to manually shift to D4 to enable TUTD.

Next it looks at "Up/Down Req". I have this enabled meaning I need to command a shift before TUTD enables. From here, it shifts with the switch.

The resistors can always be powered up or switched with the key. Giving no power then power to the transmission won't do anything. If you want it to work in your usual Drive selection, change "Range Active" to D6, then simply press the button to activate TUTD. To get out of TUTD mode, you need to shift to N, or another gear then back to drive. This is why I set it up to use a different gear.
    Thanks for that vital piece of information. Managed to find just about everything else except that.

Tuner in Training
    TPTD.pngTPTD.png
    I have an L20 (4.8L with VVT) with e38 and 6L90E with T43 controller and using veee8's info it works exactly as it should. This engine was out of a van if anyone is curious.

If anyone is looking to make their own harness you'll need:

6L80/90 connector: Mouser
    Cable seal: EFI Connection

8.25k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key
    4.42k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key
    1.5k ohm 1% tolerance resistor: Digi-key

You'll also need either two switches or a momentary on-off-on switch. I recommend the second so that up and down can't be requested at the same time. I know this is from 3 different places, but all the part numbers are here. The kostal connectors for the transmission are hard to find.
    i just ordered the resistors to wire, how are these wired?, 8.25+4.42=TU 8.25+1.5=TD? so does that mean i can wire the +12 with the 8.25 resistor inline to the center pin on a (on)off(on) then the 4.42 on one (on) terminal and the 1.5 on the other (on) terminal, then all together to the trans? like this pic
    Last edited by ntilley52; 02-08-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Switch wiring.JPG
    Wire it up like the picture

Potential Tuner
    I got mine working, and I was kind of disappointed. The upshift delay is pretty long, downshift is rather quick though. Its a neat gadget, thats about it.

Tuner in Training
    Switch wiring.JPG
    Wire it up like the picture
    thanks 87skier

Tuner in Training
    afasts10, im not really looking for speedy shifts, mine is in a k5 blazer trail rig, its got double t cases 5.38s and plus the 4.0 in 1st trans, it crawls around pretty slow, I just dont want it shifting when im on a trail unless i need it to. And other than that, i leave it in regular drive for cruising around on the roads

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ntilley52 View Post
    afasts10, im not really looking for speedy shifts, mine is in a k5 blazer trail rig, its got double t cases 5.38s and plus the 4.0 in 1st trans, it crawls around pretty slow, I just dont want it shifting when im on a trail unless i need it to. And other than that, i leave it in regular drive for cruising around on the roads
    Then this work perfect for you. It's nice to be able to hold any gear.