Thread: Buying HPTuners - Pro or Basic???

Advanced Tuner

Buying HPTuners - Pro or Basic???

I finally made my mind up to purchase HPtuners. I really don't know anything about tuning, so I'm probably just going to let tuner tune my car and all I want to do is be able to switch from factory to performance tune and the other way around, just in case of warranty issues.

I plan on initally having my car dyno tuned, will I need the pro for this? Does the AFR need to be logged in on the laptop during the dyno runs? I also plan on sharing my Hardware & Software with others in the area for tuning. Would it be just fine if I got the Basic version?

I'm assuming here, that the pro version is used to tune on the street without any dyno right?

Also, in the future I plan on getting a 2 Bar speed density tune. Is HPtuners Pro required for this?

If I order by this coming Monday, will I have it by March 3rd?

Cheers
    Chris
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris
    Also, in the future I plan on getting a 2 Bar speed density tune. Is HPtuners Pro required for this?
    pretty much so yeah i would recommend it. Also keep in mind if you buy the std one now then decide/realize you shouldve gone with pro your talking $289+shipping to upgrade at a later time. Smarter to do it right the first time...also your talking the addition of black box logging which will eliminate the need to have a laptop while your just scanning.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    pretty much so yeah i would recommend it. Also keep in mind if you buy the std one now then decide/realize you shouldve gone with pro your talking $289+shipping to upgrade at a later time. Smarter to do it right the first time...also your talking the addition of black box logging which will eliminate the need to have a laptop while your just scanning.
    I decided to buy the HPT Pro Version Monday. Hopefully I'll get it by the first week of March. Is this possible HPT Sales guys??? I'm one of the Gen IV people. I'm gonna have a tuner do a dyno tune for me when I get it.

How hard is it for a person that has never tuned before to destroy his motor? Will HPT warn you if you're changing something that could quite possibly destroy the motor?

I'll probably buy a Wideband in the future. I would like to have the guage and be able to connect it to the laptop easily. Which one do you guys recommend?? Dynojet Wideband Commander???

Sorry about all these questions... I'm a newbie at this.

Cheers Chris
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

If you are getting LS2 I *think* you may get it by then but dont hold me to it cause I am not 100% sure. Tuning isnt really that bad, just use common sense and ask questions when in doubt. It wont warn you about stuff but that is why the forum is here just ask us and we will help you out.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

O yeah, as far as the WB, LC-1 or LM-1 from Innovate Motorsports are great pieces. I have an LC-1 hardwired into my car and have done 2 others the same way. Makes it much easier to hook up when tuning, LM-1 is already set up to take car to car. The LC-1 can be set up that way but requires you to do a little extra work.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I just placed the order for HPT Pro about 2 mins ago. Hopefully I won't regret this purchase.

How is the HPT sales team going to know that I have a Gen IV vehicle? I read somewhere that they were shipping to LS2 guys first.
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

i believe it will be listed in the order when you order it? might want to email [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    i believe it will be listed in the order when you order it? might want to email [email protected]
    Nothing was listed in the order. I just went ahead and emailed sales. Haven't heard anything back from them. I guess they may be closed since its Presidents Day.
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

haha, these guys are never off, give it time and they will get back to you soon.