Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lt1 support

Jet DST supports LT1's VERY well (ok, the PROGRAM, not necessarily the company....)

I would look at that solution.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
    Can we swap in a Gen3 99+ PCM in a 96 Impala SS ?
    Can it be done?
    Workin on it

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    Workin on it

Mike
    Keep us updated!
    2018 GMC Denali A8 6.2L
    2016 CTS-V
    2016 C7 Z06 A8
    2016 C7 Z06/Z07 A8 vert
    2015 Chevy SS 6.2 LS3 A6
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI
    1995 Chevy 1500 5.3 CAI Z06 cam
    1957 Chevy vert

Tuner
    I would LOVE to see that happen.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
    Keep us updated!
    Waiting to get all the pieces in line and installed. The motor is actually in my '71 GMC truck, but came out of a '95 Impala SS. Looks as if it is going to be the cats ass when it is done. Should have running on our dyno in the next couple of weeks and get some calibration time before I stuff it back in the truck!
    Again, I will keep you all posted!

Mike
    Last edited by schwoch1; 01-25-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: cause I felt like it :)

EFI Connection is working with Mike (schwoch1) to run his LT1 with the LS1 PCM.

A little background...

24x Crankshaft Reluctor
    Last summer (2008), we developed a 24x crank reluctor for the early small block that installs behind a Vortec timing cover. The 24x signal satisfies the LS1 PCM's crank signal requirements.

Camshaft Signal
    To satisfy the LS1 1x cam signal requirement, we used a Vortec distributor.

Test Vehicle - S10 Pickup
    We installed this system on a RamJet 350 engine. We also installed an LS1 Corvette drive-by-wire system (2003 Corvette calibration in 12200411 PCM). We also put a 4L60E behind it.

The Results - Rear Wheel Horsepower/Torque

About the LT1
    The LT1 was really an afterthought, but since our 24x crank reluctor fits within the 96-97 timing cover, all we had to do was come up with an optispark replacement to produce the 1x cam signal. We made a few prototype pieces to make our LT1 engine run on the test stand. We now have aluminum castings of the cam sensor housing and are machining one now for Mike's LT1.

EFI Connection's LT1 on the Test Stand
    We originally posted this video back in mid 2008.

Mike
    EFI Connection
    http://www.eficonnection.com
    Last edited by s10Wildside; 01-29-2009 at 04:45 AM.

The previous post covered the 24x hardware. I'll provide a few details about the 4th gen LT1 car and wiring.

EFI Connection is building brand new engine harnesses for the 4th gen f-body for the 24x conversion. The installation process is very straight forward...
    • remove the original LT1 fuel injection harness
    • replace with the 24x LT1 conversion harness

The new harness simply plugs in to all of the original connectors (fuse block connections, engine connections, dash connections).

Drawbacks
    The LT1 PCM is used with the EBTCM, so vehicles equipped with traction control will likely lose traction control and ABS.

Vehicles equipped with only ABS may be able to retain ABS, we are not yet 100% sure on this.

The LS1 tach signal is not compatible with the LT1 tachometer. You'll have to install a Dakota Digital tach signal conversion module to fix the tach.

Early 4L60E transmissions will need to be upgraded to the newer internals for LS1 PCM operation.

The LT1's EGR system (vacuum solenoid) is not compatible with the LS1 PCM control (linear type EGR valve).

More Benefits
    Our 24x hardware will never wear out. There are no new moving parts, no bearings, no shafts, and nothing to replace. The only servicable items may be the 24x crank sensor and the cam sensor. These sensors are both GM sensors. So if you install these components, you never have to rely on EFI Connection for replacement parts.

Mike
    EFI Connection
    http://www.eficonnection.com
    Last edited by s10Wildside; 01-29-2009 at 05:10 AM.

Tuner
    Don't tease us without some pricing.

Potential Tuner
    That's pretty cool!

A big thanks to Mike (schwoch1) in Wisconsin for sharing videos of his 24x LT1 installation progress. Mike sent a few videos of the engine running on the dyno. The may be hooked up to the water brake this week to apply load.

Keep in mind that Mike is using a calibration that we are using on our test stand. It's rough at best and needs a lot of work. However, you'd hardly know it seeing this engine run.

First QuickTime Video
    Second QuickTime Video
    Third QuickTime Video

Mike purchased:
    - 24x LT1 crank reluctor
    - he had a 24x crank sensor
    - 24x LT1 conversion harness (stand alone type for his pickup truck...which works well for the dyno)
    - cam sensor, housing, and target
    - 96-97 LT1 crank key (GM# 12550096)
    - used LS type coils (truck coils I think)

His comments have been:
    - it fired up first try
    - throttle response is perceived as better than with the original electronics
    - a few emissions trouble codes have set (fuel level, fuel sensor, AIR pump, skip shift...all need to be disabled in the calibration)

Hey Mike - do you have anything to add?

Mike
    EFI Connection
    Last edited by s10Wildside; 02-09-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Don't tease us without some pricing.
    A base package price begins at $525.00. This will get a 96-97 converted to 24x crank and 1x cam signals. Earlier LT1 engines require a 96-97 timing cover, crankshaft key (GM# 12550096), and a very small mill job on the hub to remove the thickness of the crank reluctor so that the crank pulley is in line with the other pulleys.

This price assumes that you have all of the electronics covered. A new 24x LT1 f-body harness can be built for $800.00. A stand alone type of harness can be built starting at $650.00. Please see http://www.eficonnection.com for more details.

Any progress on the Impala swap. I am starting to gather the pieces to run a 454 with the 0411 PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    Waiting to get all the pieces in line and installed. The motor is actually in my '71 GMC truck, but came out of a '95 Impala SS. Looks as if it is going to be the cats ass when it is done. Should have running on our dyno in the next couple of weeks and get some calibration time before I stuff it back in the truck!
    Again, I will keep you all posted!

Mike
    1996 ImpalaSS 13.2@103 Naturaly Aspirated, replacing LT1/turbo with 454 Turbo build up ongoing.
    Build thread with Video:
    http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=102568.0

Tuner
    I just finished a 24x install on a 96 Impala SS stroker. I reused the LT1 harness and repinned the pcm conenctor and used a 411 ls1 pcm. Coils are mounted on the valve covers and the overall setup was very nice. I used a 2001 camaro base tune and reworked it to correct the injector order and misc other details. Everything works,tach,speedo,cruise,ac,fans....if you take the time and have all the wiring diagrams you can make everything work. The car cranks and runs better than most big cam ls1's I have seen.
    I will try to post pictures. I also have a good base tune and don't have a problem helping out.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmextreme View Post
    I just finished a 24x install on a 96 Impala SS stroker. I reused the LT1 harness and repinned the pcm conenctor and used a 411 ls1 pcm. Coils are mounted on the valve covers and the overall setup was very nice. I used a 2001 camaro base tune and reworked it to correct the injector order and misc other details. Everything works,tach,speedo,cruise,ac,fans....if you take the time and have all the wiring diagrams you can make everything work. The car cranks and runs better than most big cam ls1's I have seen.
    I will try to post pictures. I also have a good base tune and don't have a problem helping out.
    That sounds great! I will be watching for pictures!!!
    2018 GMC Denali A8 6.2L
    2016 CTS-V
    2016 C7 Z06 A8
    2016 C7 Z06/Z07 A8 vert
    2015 Chevy SS 6.2 LS3 A6
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI
    1995 Chevy 1500 5.3 CAI Z06 cam
    1957 Chevy vert

Tuner
    here are some pictures

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6pt0 View Post
    Aren't the LT1s ROMs and therefore don't have re-flash capability?

On that subject, is there any kind of ROM programmer/scan tool out there for the LT1s so that you can burn your own? Could get expensive if I flashed as many as I do on my GTO
    Need to get rid of the HPE cam I can have one ground for you that will be much better.

Tuner
    BTW westers has a program for 96-97 LTx cars that will work with the tune cats cable. It looks like a version of the Palmer software which is half the cost but need there Cable

I have yet to find a real good 94-95 or older Scan software but I am still looking
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Palmer software?

As for 94-95 LT1, TTS Datamaster, I would take it over EFILive or HPT Scan tools any day of the week.... It ROCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv View Post
    BTW westers has a program for 96-97 LTx cars that will work with the tune cats cable. It looks like a version of the Palmer software which is half the cost but need there Cable

I have yet to find a real good 94-95 or older Scan software but I am still looking

sure in a bind on my lt1, would love to be able to keep one program

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by n0dih View Post
    Palmer software?

As for 94-95 LT1, TTS Datamaster, I would take it over EFILive or HPT Scan tools any day of the week.... It ROCKS.
    I have Datamaster, and have tuned more LT1's than any other platform...I'll take HPTuners VCM Scanner over it any day of the week.