Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss: Tuning the 6R80

Let's discuss: Tuning the 6R80

So I recently picked up a 2014 GT Automatic and while I'm comfortable with the engine tuning stuff, this is the first auto I've ever attempted to tune. I certainly don't want to burn anything up or break it so does anyone have a good resource to use as a starting point? I'd like to read up on the tables and understand exactly what needs to change to get the most performance and reliability. Opening up the transmission part of the tune is a little intimidating with the large amount of tables and parameters and while it's nice that most of the tables are defined, the numbers in the tables are on the arbitrary side. What do they all mean???

Car is a hellion twin turbo car that will be making around 650whp
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    So I recently picked up a 2014 GT Automatic and while I'm comfortable with the engine tuning stuff, this is the first auto I've ever attempted to tune. I certainly don't want to burn anything up or break it so does anyone have a good resource to use as a starting point? I'd like to read up on the tables and understand exactly what needs to change to get the most performance and reliability. Opening up the transmission part of the tune is a little intimidating with the large amount of tables and parameters and while it's nice that most of the tables are defined, the numbers in the tables are on the arbitrary side. What do they all mean???

Car is a hellion twin turbo car that will be making around 650whp
    Now that the compare feature is working, it will be much easier to figure out on your own what needs to change to get the transmission performing like you want.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Compare to what though?
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Compare to what though?
    Some of the aftermarket calibrations, like the Roush files are a good place to start.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Some of the aftermarket calibrations, like the Roush files are a good place to start.
    Place to find these files?

Advanced Tuner
    Haha, pull a read or hope there's one in the repository

I'm not wanting a free handout. I'm wanting to understand the vast amount of tables in the transmission and know what they do and how it effects the manner with which the car shifts gears. I don't make blind changes to my cars tune without knowing and understanding what it is that I'm doing.

Surely there are other people like me on this forum and also knowledgeable people who are willing to help the DIY guy(s) in the community...
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    Surely there are. My comment was purely intended to point out that as of yet, those files are hard to come by in the HPt community

Advanced Tuner
    One could write a book on tuning the 2011+ Coyote's. Tuning the 6R80 involves:

1. Shift timing
    2. Shift pressure
    3. TQ management
    4. Converter behavior
    5. Shift points

There is quite a bit involved hence why some have suggested doing a compare between a stock tune and a tune from a known good tuner. If you are just wanting to learn the basics of tuning I would recommend: http://www.lasotaracing.com/MOHPTuningGuide.html

I believe Don is working on an update for the 2011+ platforms. Unfortunately it doesn't cover much on the trans side. There may be an opportunity for someone to publish something for that missing piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    Surely there are. My comment was purely intended to point out that as of yet, those files are hard to come by in the HPt community
    Hopefully more people start using the repository.

Here is a 2013 Roush file.

PS, I cannot verify that this is a 100% stock Roush file. Pretty sure it is though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thanks for the link WBT. I've read all the books by Greg Banish and also watched his DVD regarding the LS stuff. It has some great info.

I'm comfortable with tuning the coyote, but the 6R80 knowledge is what I lack and is proving to be very complex. Hopefully more of the community chimes in on this thread as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in learning.
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the link WBT. I've read all the books by Greg Banish and also watched his DVD regarding the LS stuff. It has some great info.

I'm comfortable with tuning the coyote, but the 6R80 knowledge is what I lack and is proving to be very complex. Hopefully more of the community chimes in on this thread as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in learning.
    Apologies for the vagueness. As you know there are quite a few knobs one can turn on the trans stuff. Enough to literally write a book about.

I'll work on uploading some tunes to the repository which may help.

That would be helpful WBT. Hopefully I can pick your brain on the methodology and reasoning behind the changes you've made. Any monkey can copy/paste and hope it works. I'm sure there are many copy/paste tunes out there with cars performing very well.

What I'm wanting, though, is to gain the knowledge and understanding of how it all works and what the parameters do so I can make educated changes in the tune with an expected result.

Eric did a great job with defining the parameters with helpful descriptions in the software. What I'm not sure of is what the stuff means like "1A-2M" or "5M-6A" and stuff like that. The numbers appear to be arbitrary to me and I don't like making changes to the tune without knowing what is going to be effected.
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

That would be helpful WBT. Hopefully I can pick your brain on the methodology and reasoning behind the changes you've made. Any monkey can copy/paste and hope it works. I'm sure there are many copy/paste tunes out there with cars performing very well.

What I'm wanting, though, is to gain the knowledge and understanding of how it all works and what the parameters do so I can make educated changes in the tune with an expected result.

Eric did a great job with defining the parameters with helpful descriptions in the software. What I'm not sure of is what the stuff means like "1A-2M" or "5M-6A" and stuff like that. The numbers appear to be arbitrary to me and I don't like making changes to the tune without knowing what is going to be effected.
    1A-2M would be if you manually upshifted to second, when the car was in normal auto mode and in 1st gear, etc....
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    1A-2M would be if you manually upshifted to second, when the car was in normal auto mode and in 1st gear, etc....
    That's pretty much what I thought but how is that possible though? That's what's confusing to me. The 13-14 has select shift so I don't have 1,2,3,N,D,R,P like the 11 and 12s.

I have S,D,N,R,P.

I'll have to look at it again and see.
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

If you put it in S, then you are manually shifting it via the buttons on the shifter. Pretty sure that is what is considered a manual shift.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    Not to thread jack. But where did you get that roush file in the repository I've searched dang near every parameter to pull up info on coyote and haven't had much luck. Even with the Roush file if I try to look it up by name it doesn't pull up.

Quote Originally Posted by 06bluchevy View Post
    Not to thread jack. But where did you get that roush file in the repository I've searched dang near every parameter to pull up info on coyote and haven't had much luck. Even with the Roush file if I try to look it up by name it doesn't pull up.
    I'm not sure what is in the repository. This is a file that was emailed into me. As more people use the product to tune Ford, the repository should grow.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    Well I've pmed a few guys and many have stated they have sent in files to be uploaded to the repository but have yet to be accepted or uploaded. Not sure the deal there or what we can do to expand the repository but currently only 4 coyote files are in it. 3 manual stock files and 1 auto stock file iirc.

Advanced Tuner
    It's only been a couple of days, but I uploaded a 2014 Roush 575HP A6 tune and it's not in there.