Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost cam issues - 13 mustang GT

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Did you have any issues after doing this since you are using a control pack PCM?
    Using the controls pack PCM, so far no issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 92sho16 View Post
    That did the trick.
    Happy to hear it. Post a vid, Id love to see a loping Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    Happy to hear it. Post a vid, Id love to see a loping Cobra.
    +1

Tuner in Training

That's Awesome! How much overlap did you use in the tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Thats pretty fn wicked. Awesome sounding car.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, I am using the values from this thread.

Anyone done this tune with a 3.7 V6 Mustang? I feel comfortable with all the other changes needed in the tune, but I had a question about the VCT Phasing Limit Table vs. RPM vs. EOT Table.

The table for the V6 is quite a bit different as compared to the V8. Based of the pdf my first instinct was to set the entire intake cam table to -60 and then set the entire exhaust cam table to 50. However, 110 degrees of overlap sounds like an absolutely crazy value. I was thinking going for -40 on the intake and then 30 on the exhaust to give a total of 70 degrees of overlap. Does this sound reasonable? I know that txcharlie was able to get by with 70 degrees of overlap on a blown automatic car, so I feel this should be fine with my pretty much stock manual car.

I guess my main question boils down to, how does V6 respond to overlap? Can it take as much as the Coyote or no? I still have stock cats so I won't run this tune regularly at all.

These are the stock Intake and Exhaust cam Phasing limit tables on the V6.

Ghost Cam Intake Cam Phasing limit.PNG

Ghost Cam Exhaust Cam Phasing limit.PNG

ALSO, I have heard one other big time SCT Tuner claim "During the lopey idle tunes we don't work the VCT anymore than we do during normal driving conditions" is this true? Up until this point I haven't been logging VCT because I have been doing basic MAF tuning, but is this true?
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-09-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Bump, any ghost cam V6 advice?

Will this ghost cam tune also work on my 2014 Raptor 6.2?

Guys thanks! I just got my HP Tuners software installed and an hour later I had the ghost cam lope working! So fun. I just wanted to see if I could do it and I do think the lope is kinda cool.
    No way I could have done it without such good info on this forum. Check it out :
    http://youtu.be/LJRWijlcydU

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GapRider View Post
    Guys thanks! I just got my HP Tuners software installed and an hour later I had the ghost cam lope working! So fun. I just wanted to see if I could do it and I do think the lope is kinda cool.
    No way I could have done it without such good info on this forum. Check it out :
    http://youtu.be/LJRWijlcydU
    Sounds great!!

I did my first log on the ghost cam tune last night and I'm curious about a couple of things.

Doesn't start "camming" until I blip throttle. Thats when the cams move from zero to the high overlap positions I put in the VCT Mapped Points table.

Changes I see in the log for before, then after the throttle blip:

-spark timing changes from pretty stable to fluctuating pretty wildly: Is that due to spark source switching to Torque Control?
    -spark source changes from Idle Feedback to Torque Control: What actually triggers this change to Torque Control?
    -Torque Source changes from Driver Demand to Target N: Curious about the origin of this transition as well. Also, does the "N" in target N refer to mapped points?
    -Mapped Point OP Weight is 0.08 before the throttle blip and transitions through a few iterations where it ends up at 0.00: Do those numbers refer to Mapped Points 8 and then 0?
    -throttle plate angle at 5* before and after

Just super interested in this stuff and just started learning. Any pointers are really appreciated. Also, lot's of fun! :cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GapRider; 02-07-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Tuner in Training
    Not sure how it is in HPT but in other software there is "time to enter VCT Operation" I would start there.

In every ghost cam idle video I have seen, the driver always blips the throttle to make the car start to lope.

Also, if you make the entire phaser limit vs eot table one value, let's say -40 on the intake cam phaser limit eot table, will the car lope despite how cold the oil is? Ford doesn't really start to move the cams a lot until the oil temp is about 50 degrees. Is there any way to setup a ghost cam tune to not lope until the oil is warmer? Would the car still lope if the first two rows of the phasing limit vs eot tables were zeroed out?

I don't think that matters. There are plenty of cars with big cams and no VVT.

working on the cam tune for my M6 roush stage 3, so far ive got the car chopping for a few seconds then it looses rpm and dies.
    I also cannot figure out how to add my tune files to this post, I am clicking manage attachments however nothing happens.

Please help!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TuneRS View Post
    working on the cam tune for my M6 roush stage 3, so far ive got the car chopping for a few seconds then it looses rpm and dies.
    I also cannot figure out how to add my tune files to this post, I am clicking manage attachments however nothing happens.

Please help!
    Use a different browser or clear your cookies/history/java cache.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    In every ghost cam idle video I have seen, the driver always blips the throttle to make the car start to lope.

Also, if you make the entire phaser limit vs eot table one value, let's say -40 on the intake cam phaser limit eot table, will the car lope despite how cold the oil is? Ford doesn't really start to move the cams a lot until the oil temp is about 50 degrees. Is there any way to setup a ghost cam tune to not lope until the oil is warmer? Would the car still lope if the first two rows of the phasing limit vs eot tables were zeroed out?
    I'm pretty sure that's what the VCT vs EOT tables are for, you set the max allowed VCT vs EOT and RPM so no other parameter can drive cam timing past the limits you set in those two tables. You are setting max cam timing by engine oil temp.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Quote Originally Posted by TuneRS View Post

Please help!
    I'm learning but I hope these notes help. Maybe we can figure it out together.

I'm playing with my 6spd manual Coyote cam tune. Started with Toyoguru's great guide but now starting over, doing one change at a time to see what affect it has so I can understand better.
    I started this morning with just changing the cam timing at Mapped Points 0 and 1 (and upped Max Phasing VCT vs EOT to allow for this) and increasing idle RPM to 750
    With these changes only, and the car fully warmed up, it will go into a chop idle only after I blip the throttle.

I logged Spark, RPM, lambda, ETC Torque Request, Torque Source, Spark Source, Throttle Angle Source, Fuel Source, VCT Schedule Mode, Throttle Angle, MAF, Desired MAF, Load, Desired Load from Torque Control, and Cam Angles (Adv/Retard) among other things.

Some things I've noticed:
    • Before and after the blip that starts the chop idle:
      • I see Torque Src change from Driver Demand to Target N
      • Spark Src change from Idle Feedback to Torque Control
      • Throttle Angle Src stays=Idle Control
      • Fuel Src stays=CL Stoich
      • VCT Schedule Mode stays=Optimal Stability
      • Idle Speed Src stays=Base RPM

• Car most wants to die after a gentle nudge forward sitting in the driveway-very small throttle at clutch engagement and then clutch back in and foot off throttle. RPM will drop to 400ish and even stall sometimes.
    • Initially, throttle Angle and Spark seem to by trying to save the stall because they increase as the RPM is falling, lambda steady around 1.0 and cams stay pretty close to -40/20 where I have them set
    • As RPM continues to drop (about 580 RPM), throttle and spark seem to begin to fall with RPM, however, ETC Torque Request, Scheduled Torque and Desired Load continue to increase the whole time RPM is falling.

I want to figure out why RPM doesn't respond to spark and throttle angle at the beginning of the fall. Maybe at that low RPM and the high valve overlap the engine's response is too sluggish. I don't see what else to control at that point to catch the falling RPM, maybe if I could try getting the cams to move back to zero when RPM below 500 for example to make the engine response snappier but I don't even know if that makes sense and I don't know how to do that right now.
    Thoughts?
    Stock everything else