Thread: What PCM and OS to control LS3/4L80 and cable throttle body? HELP

Tuner

What PCM and OS to control LS3/4L80 and cable throttle body? HELP

Ive searched around and have not recieved much info on this setup for what PCM and OS to control LS3/4L80 and cable throttle body...

I was wondering if i could get some help figuring this out from experiences from everyone on here.

Goal for this vehicle is to be very reliable. it will be a stock LS3 crate engine.

This setup will be going in an early 70's truck. any help on the swap would be much appreciated also.

Thanks

You need to use a 0411 PCM with either a 24x reluctor on the crank and 1x on the cam, or use the Lingenfelter converter box.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    I guess that makes sense for the 0411 pcm to control a cable throttle body and a 4l80 since it has tcm paired with it in the PCM. as opposed to the E38/E67 which has a separate T42/T43 trans controller
    its not possible for a segment swap to be perform to a E38/E67 PCM?
    I realize E38/E67 wont have "system options" in the OS to control whether it has electronic throttle selection or not like 0411 pcm.
    it seems so confusing. Im trying to do all i can to not use the converter box. maybe there is a 24x ls3 crate engine option...

E38/E67s are totally different. None of them use a cable throttle.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlindell View Post
    I guess that makes sense for the 0411 pcm to control a cable throttle body and a 4l80 since it has tcm paired with it in the PCM. as opposed to the E38/E67 which has a separate T42/T43 trans controller
    its not possible for a segment swap to be perform to a E38/E67 PCM?
    I realize E38/E67 wont have "system options" in the OS to control whether it has electronic throttle selection or not like 0411 pcm.
    it seems so confusing. Im trying to do all i can to not use the converter box. maybe there is a 24x ls3 crate engine option...
    Personally...I'd find it easier to go with drive by wire than to swap the crank wheel to 24x. If you do that, you can run an E38 and T42 to get the job done.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Personally...I'd find it easier to go with drive by wire than to swap the crank wheel to 24x. If you do that, you can run an E38 and T42 to get the job done.
    Would a T42 normally control an A4?
    looks like that might have to be the route i go.

Senior Tuner
    Yes, T42's are used to control 4L60-E and 4L80E transmissions. You need to make sure your ECM and pedal are matching (HPTuners cannot reflash the TAC portion of the E38/E67, so you could run into an issue) and then you need a 4L80E OS in the T42. If you find a donor vehicle like a van or pickup with a 4L80E to get all the electronics from, you'll be all set. You can easily load an LS3 calibration into the donor PCM, and then adjust the T42 calibration to match your gears and the LS3 power curve and whatnot.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Yes, T42's are used to control 4L60-E and 4L80E transmissions. You need to make sure your ECM and pedal are matching (HPTuners cannot reflash the TAC portion of the E38/E67, so you could run into an issue) and then you need a 4L80E OS in the T42. If you find a donor vehicle like a van or pickup with a 4L80E to get all the electronics from, you'll be all set. You can easily load an LS3 calibration into the donor PCM, and then adjust the T42 calibration to match your gears and the LS3 power curve and whatnot.
    Thanks very much for your input. that helps me out quite a bit. looks like the route to take with the setup