Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More alcohol tables for P59 and other Gen III controllers

If the stars align correctly I should have the sensor installed in the car by the end of this weekend. I was under the impression that I needed to have unlimited licenses for a model year in order to write a different tune to my PCM. For example I would need unlimited 2004 GTO and unlimited 2004 C5 in order to write a 2004 C5 file to my 2004 GTO. Would I be able to write a 2005 file to my 2004 PCM?

Senior Tuner
    If the 2005 file is for a P59, then you can write it to your cars P59 as well...you only need to license your cars PCM and the new file, 4 credits total, no more.

I have the request in with HPTuners to add the table I pictured above, and they have replied that it's in their work in queue. I believe that's the last piece of the puzzle we didn't have access to yet, but I'm not 100% certain.

With the 2.25 beta, you can license a VIN/OS mismatch, but you cannot change the VIN and the license wont count towards any upgrade credit for any year/model licenses. This means if James is able to save the file for you with your cars VIN, the 2.25 beta will request that you license it even though 2.24 will say it cannot...and it should also let you write entire...but you'd need to continue using 2.25 to tune it. I think he'd only be able to do this though if he's got a PCM to flash the file into with HPTuners, then use EFILive to change the VIN, then read the file back out with HPT...he'll get the invalid VIN/OS pair error...but he'll also have the file and be able to send it to you...I'd contact support to be sure licensing it would work correctly though.

Your other option would be to license the file with the 2005 VIN, flash it into your car, then find someone with EFILive to just change the VIN number back to your 2004. After that, as long as you only write calibration only with 2.24, HPTuners will not error and will allow you to tune it.

I just ran into this on a truck last weekend...another tuner had "returned it to stock" for an unhappy customer, but using EFILive he flashed in some OS that didn't belong even though he used the trucks original VIN. 2.24 didn't want to license it, and 2.25 gave me the warning explaining the upgrade credit thing...I didn't really care about that so much as making the guy happy that his truck ran correctly, so I just applied the license in 2.25 and started tuning. I cannot tune it with 2.24...but that's ok as I can tune it, and the owner of the truck is happy.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 04-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

That's great news! I got the hardware installed tonight. Had to wait on a friend that donated his stock C5 fuel line to the cause. Hopefully will have the wiring done tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I have a 2004 OS working on my personal car now. Started out as a 2004 C5 file with segment swaps from flex fuel 2004 truck/SUV. The GTO VIN is able to be placed in the file without a VIN/OS mismatch.

Problem for the Fbody guys is there are some gauge settings that cause the service vehicle soon light and check gauges light to flash at you. It would be perfect if we could get an OE GTO file to enable Flex because those OS's play nice with an Fbody.

I am in the process of working on that though. Just have to get the files pulled as a BIN file so I can hex edit the files.
    Would you mind sharing this file?

Mine is somewhat of a bastard file cause it also uses a 4L80E segment for the trans...

Take a gander at it however....
    Thanks for sharing your file. I have unlocked the 2004 GTO model year, but I would have to license this file in order to make changes and save it. Would I have to unlock all 2004 C5 in order to flash this file to my car? What about changing the VIN to that of my GTO? Will VATS have to be disabled as well? I'm assuming that I can still drive a manual with a 4L80E segment?

I'll give it a try if it ever stops raining out here. Thanks!

Well I did a write entire with the file you posted after I copied over the values except for the FF values from my tune. I may have missed something as I get an alcohol percentage of 0% and I know that the fuel around here is E10. Would you be able to look over what I have done and see if I fat fingered something? I will try and get a few gallons of E85 in the tank and see if that makes a difference. I also tried unplugging the sensor to simulate a fault and see if it would have defaulted to 38%, but it remained at 0%.

Would I have to swap the Engine Diagnostics segment from a FF vehicle?

Flex is already enabled on mine. Verify you didn't disable flex fuel switch and diagnostics. This is the file in my car right now functioning. The only segment swaps you would need to do is for the transmission.

Also what pin do you have the flex sensor pinned into?
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I don't think I disabled the Flex Fuel, but in case, would you mind taking a look at my file? Also I have it pinned to Blue 56.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blue 56 is correct for the signal pin from the sensor. You'll need to verify also that you have 12v and ground going to the correct pins of the sensor.

Looked at the file and it's still enabled.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I will double check my wiring this afternoon. So far I have the power tapped into the ignition fuse in the engine compartment and for gound I tapped into the coolant level sensor. Should I wire it differently?

I double checked my wiring and I have it as follows looking at the connector with the tab on the top:

A B C
    Pin 56 12volts Ground

I have checked the wiring at the connector and I do see 12 volts with key on. Is there any way to check the sensor itself, or maybe a way I can send a signal to Pin 56 to make sure my pinning job turned out ok?

Here is a picture of the sensor itself with where the pins are supposed to go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ShorTuning

Here is a picture of the sensor itself with where the pins are supposed to go...
    I must thank you for the picture, it solved my problems. Apparently the picture I was using for reference had the ground and 12V swapped. It seems to be working so far.

Anybody have the pin location for the E40 when adding the flex fuel sensor?
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Senior Tuner
    That info WAS on the Gen 4 flex fuel thread...unfortunately that thread seems to be gone . The link to it on the sticky is broken. I don't have your answer, sorry.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Well now I need to visit the spark side of things. Problem is that my spark is not changing with blend of ethanol and I can't find a way of logging it in the P59. Any insight on how I can work forward?

The file I posted has functioning Flex Spark adder based on a percentage of ethanol... I have to use the other software to log flex spark adder.
    ShorTuning

So I would just compare what I command in the Spark HO to what I would see in the scanner?

Edit: I'm attaching two pictures, one shows a screenshot from the scanner showing the ignition advance. The other screenshot is from the Spark HO table in the editor. The commanded timing is 24 (0.68 g/cyl and 5200 rpm) and on the scanner I'm showing 22 (24-2 IAT advance). I have the Flex Fuel set to add 1 degree at this point, so I would expect to see 23, not 22 degrees. Am I calculating total timing wrong?
    Last edited by Pulse_GTO; 07-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.