Thread: Bench harness BA PCM

Potential Tuner

Bench harness BA PCM

Hi Guys, Just recently purchased HP tuner for doing ford ECUs in conversions, turning off PATS, etc

I have a bench harness setup but when i try to read BA PCM's (tried 2 now) I just get a message cant validate VCM. However I have read a BF and a FG PCM no worries so I assume the bench harness is good.

Any ideas??

Thanks

What vehicle did u steal the harness from ?

Iam assuming a bf or fg yes ?
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    What vehicle did u steal the harness from ?

Iam assuming a bf or fg yes ?
    I have actually tried it with a BA harness and a FG harness, But the power and CAN wire pinouts are all the same

Advanced Tuner
    What strategy are the BA PCM's? The early PCM's didn't have a VIN stored in them. Causes issues with HPT identifying the PCM.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Potential Tuner
    one is a A3HC other is a 32HF. It does come up that a VIN could not be found

Advanced Tuner
    Thats your issue. You'll need to send the files to Bill ([email protected]) and have them validated so you can flash them.

It was an early BA issue.

Potential Tuner
    ok great thanks for the info, I assume i just send an info log? as I cant read the file

Advanced Tuner
    Correct

Advanced Tuner
    I have just picked up a 2004 BA PCM & tried reading flashing on the bench & because it's early style I have to tell hpt the vin & that's fine asks for 3 second ignition off & loose power to ign circuit for 3 seconds & says it's not recognised as ignition sequence?

I have earth as b10 & b1, 12v batt to b40, 12v ignition to b9, b34 & b46, can hi b13 & can lo b14.

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure on early b series u give it longer than 3 seconds this sometimes can cause issues flicking it fast like f series
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    So apart from that the wiring seems right to you with what I've done?

I have tried up to around 5 seconds but wasn't sure how long to leave it off?

There is also other earths to b11, b12 & b23 but don't think there absolutely necessary?

Advanced Tuner
    So it turns out it only needs b1 & b10 for earth, b9 & either b34 or b46 & the rest as I mentioned then the all important b39 needs to go to pin 13 on the obd connector!

It would be great to have a compatibility list for what catch codes are supported on what PCM codes!

Advanced Tuner
    So I got the bench harness working 3 weeks ago with the above mentioned method, but now I'm back to having the issue with not passing the ignition off again to do read or write on the bench?

Advanced Tuner
    Well I managed to get it read/writing on the bench again, I think whatever it is in the hpt dongle that's supposed to output 12v to 18v from pin 13 on obdII to pin 39 on controller isn't working.

I overcame it by manually supplying voltage to pin39 of the controller just before turning ignition switch back on, there would have to be an easier way though!

Advanced Tuner
    Just wondering is the HPT dongle supposed to supply the output of voltage to VPP of the controller when on the bench or do I HAVE to do it manually, it just seems strange it worked a few weeks ago & not I have to supply that power separately?

I did have a chip on my dongle a while back that caused the same issue, but that was obviously (visually blown apart) but it looks fine now (since I've replaced it)?

Advanced Tuner
    what are you using to power the setup? I'd suggest checking the voltage bein supplied to the MVPI when it's hitting the EFP pin with 18v

Advanced Tuner
    Just using a bench PSU which I use to program around 10 other different types of controllers, but yeah checking the voltage coming out of pin 13 of the HPT MVPI & I think it was something like 3v. but yet if I use the power coming out of the bench PSU (13v) & send the signal direct to pin 39 of the controller it works perfectly (so long as I only give it the power to that pin just before turn ign. back on after vin check).

Advanced Tuner
    my harness uses 12v+ on a switch to pin 9, 34 and 46, 12v+ constant on pin 40 and earth to 1, 10, 11, 12 and 23.
    my 12v+ constant is also spliced to pin 16 on the obd2 plug which is usually black/orange for ba-fg.
    as long as the can is connected to the obd2 plug properly as well as the eeprom wire which is pin 39 (red wire) at the pcm and goes to pin 13 on the obd2 plug (purple for the ba-fg plug) then it should work fine.
    can probly get away with less earth and power feed to the pcm plug but I never bothered to test as this has always worked.
    the switch is important though as it needs to simulate the ignition cycling off/on but power must remain on the 12v+ constant feed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dynotech View Post
    Hi Grant

Im trying to reflash a BA turbo pcm on the bench (to disable PATS as its going in a boat), following your instructions I cant get it to even detect the ecu (failed to detect protocol)

Do you have a diagram you used, as im not sure if the 1 i used is looking at the pcm or the harness pin side

Thanks

Attachment 74275
    Hey mate. Looking at that diagram you posted it has the wrong pinout for Can + on the odb2 plug. It is pin 6.. (not pin 7)

Senior Tuner
    P100_Ute is correct, thanks dude. Got caught out today with that silly photo. Pin 6 is the go.