Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to perform a segment swap using the segment swapper utility

Tuner in Training
    Hi all, I'm looking at doing a M6 swap in my G8GT and have been looking at some GXP and holden commodore M6 tunes. When I take my current tune and change the ECM trans type from auto to manual I still see all the tabs in the trans window for auto shift speed, auto properties etc etc. but those tabs aren't there when I look at the commodore/gxp manual tunes. Does anyone know if all the additional data in those tabs would be ignored if I flash a version of my current tune with the trans switched to manual or does them being there indicate I need to do more to get my tune ready before the swap? I've had a play with the segment swapper and even with a tune from a commodore with the same OS rev the segment swap stays grayed out which I believe from other comments in this thread is because the 6l80 has a standalone TCM.

New trans arrives next week so getting close to go time! Can't wait to have a man pedal again
    2009 PBM Pontiac G8 GT RCR Cam and tune, big brakes, stiff suspension, noisy exhaust, lots of smiles. wheelwell

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking at doing a M6 swap in my G8GT and have been looking at some GXP and holden commodore M6 tunes. When I take my current tune and change the ECM trans type from auto to manual I still see all the tabs in the trans window for auto shift speed, auto properties etc etc. but those tabs aren't there when I look at the commodore/gxp manual tunes. Does anyone know if all the additional data in those tabs would be ignored if I flash a version of my current tune with the trans switched to manual or does them being there indicate I need to do more to get my tune ready before the swap? I've had a play with the segment swapper and even with a tune from a commodore with the same OS rev the segment swap stays grayed out which I believe from other comments in this thread is because the 6l80 has a standalone TCM.

New trans arrives next week so getting close to go time! Can't wait to have a man pedal again
    Unplug the trans or remove power from the trans module by pulling the appropriate fuses if you can do that in the G8. Then read the ECM. Take your read from your car then do the segment swaps from the Aussie manual cal. Should fix you right up.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    Unplug the trans or remove power from the trans module by pulling the appropriate fuses if you can do that in the G8. Then read the ECM. Take your read from your car then do the segment swaps from the Aussie manual cal. Should fix you right up.
    Thanks for the info. Just had a quick look at a diagram and there is a TCM fuse shown on the panel, will give it a shot this evening when I get home and see how it goes.

cheers,
    Nate
    2009 PBM Pontiac G8 GT RCR Cam and tune, big brakes, stiff suspension, noisy exhaust, lots of smiles. wheelwell

Senior Tuner
    This is not really necessary. 3.0 allows you to read/write each module separately. The license is tied to the ECU.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    This is not really necessary. 3.0 allows you to read/write each module separately. The license is tied to the ECU.
    I didn't know what version he was on so I gave him what I know will work regardless of the 2.22, 2.23 BETA, 2.24, 2.25 BETA or 3.0. Either way works fine. A lot of folks still haven't changed the firmware. I still enjoy the "FEATURES" of 2.23 on one of my cables.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    I didn't know what version he was on so I gave him what I know will work regardless of the 2.22, 2.23 BETA, 2.24, 2.25 BETA or 3.0. Either way works fine. A lot of folks still haven't changed the firmware. I still enjoy the "FEATURES" of 2.23 on one of my cables.
    Thanks Jaime for the heads up on the v3 doing the modules independently, ended up going that route and got a tune file with just the ECM data.

I'm still finding the segment swap option grayed out when comparing my ECM only tune file to the Aussie one. Double checked and they're definitely the same OS version (12624402). This time though, my ECU only tune only has the same two tabs (general and manual) as the Commodore's which I guess makes sense as it no longer includes the A6 info. Only visible difference now between them (and the M6 GXP tunes I've looked at) is mine has the output speed sensor set as fitted and the M6 Commodore's is set not fitted.

Tuner in Training
    Can you do a segment swap on a fresh stock tune from a tune file that has already been segment swapped?
    2002 Silverado w/4L80E Segment Swap to a 2002 F-body with a 4L60E Tune.

Also, do you perform a "write entire" or "write calibration" after saving the segment swap file?

Advanced Tuner
    I thought the silverado and the f-body were different OS's? If they are different you weren''t able to do it before...

Whenevr you do a segment swap or OS change it has to be "write entire"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Whenevr you do a segment swap it has to be "write entire"
    This is false.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    This is false.
    I didn't realize that. Thank you

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    I didn't realize that. Thank you
    No problem.

Advanced Tuner
    What I have to do to do a segment swap to a e38 tcm? I have a 2008 pcm/tcm with a 4l80e transmission trying to make it work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    when doing a segment swap do you need to license the compare file to do the swap to the file that is receiving it or you don't need to Cheers Bret@ultimatelsxtuning
    X2, same question here....anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldocadena View Post
    X2, same question here....anyone???
    No the "from" file does not have to be licensed.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone confirm how to get a working manual tune for an E38 ECM in a G8 that does not look for a TCM? Reading the ECM only with v3 of vcm editor produced a tune file that does not appear to have a TCM section but with it flashed to the car we are seeing U0101 codes on the ECM where it is searching for and not finding a TCM. Is the only way to get a manual tune to license a factory manual one from the repo, transfer settings across and flash that?

Tuner

custom OS swap?

a couple years ago I converted (had a tuner do it for me) my PCM to a 2 bar SD for my turbo. I am now about to swap to a 4L80 transmission and have looked thru and understand the segment swap. My original OS shows to be a 322 so to swap this I have a 322 that has the 4L80 can I do this swap with the file I have found? I understood this is correct and wont crash my PCM?
    Thanks
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    12606960 is a 2005 flexfuel o/s. There is no 4l80 segment that hpt can swap for you. Post up your STOCK file read out with 2.24 and I may be able to help.
    I will also help you if you host up your stock file. Or if you want to send me your PCM I can convert it for you but you will more than likely have to license it again depending on what I have to do to make it work.
    Seems I am having this same issue...no comparable OS to swap 80e segments from. Current OS is 12619623, flex fuel. What are you gentlemen able to do to help with a file read using 2.24?

Tuner in Training
    I need to do a 4l80e segment swap for an 04 Silverado. I also need to make it a 3 bar SD. Should I do the transmission segment swap first and then the 3 bar SD or does it matter?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Doesn't really matter much for the most part.

Tuner in Training
    Great. Thanks.