Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to perform a segment swap using the segment swapper utility

Quote Originally Posted by dlc_racing View Post
    the segment swaper funtion is avaliable for old 2000 4 conector pcm?s cause im trying to find a compatible file to swap a OS 16265175 pcm from v8 vortec to v6 vortec and any file i download from the repository dont enables my segment swap button
    If you know the hardware is compatible do a write entire. I don't use HPT on the black boxes so I don't know for sure if HP Tuners will work on that ECU or not for a write entire.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Advanced Tuner
    ok i dont have nothing to loose except for and old useless pcm so let me try that
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico

If you don't mind shipping it I can get it ready for you. Also I could sell you a 98-2000 black box ready to go with a base tunefile for $250 plus the ride.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuner in Training
    Id really like to get a manual segment swap compatible to my 03-Silverado-P59-12579405 would be willing to use credits etc.. i have a nv4500 im installing as of tonightIMG_0051.jpg i do have hp tuners

Potential Tuner
    I'm trying to segment swap on my 5.3 swapped fox but it either won't open the compare file or if it does it will not give me the option to segment. I also do not have the ability to check and see what the trans type is listed as under my hptuners. Any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Murse View Post
    I'm trying to segment swap on my 5.3 swapped fox but it either won't open the compare file or if it does it will not give me the option to segment. I also do not have the ability to check and see what the trans type is listed as under my hptuners. Any suggestions
    3 options.

1. Read the posts in this thread that will almost certainly answer all of your questions.

2. Actually provide some valid info including OS numbers or both tunefiles so someone can help you.

3. Stop because you don't know what you are doing and pay someone to take care of it for you.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillwizzard View Post
    Id really like to get a manual segment swap compatible to my 03-Silverado-P59-12579405 would be willing to use credits etc.. i have a nv4500 im installing as of tonightIMG_0051.jpg i do have hp tuners
    Did you ever find this file? I?m doing the same and can?t find a file that works with a 2003 truck pcm.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Tuner in Training
    I am having an issue while trying to do a seg swap on an 2002 F-body tune.
    I started with a stock file and did the 2 bar speed density upgrade with no
    issue. When I do the 4L80E seg swap my MIL or SES light goes out and never
    comes back on like the file is corrupt. I am doing this on a test bench
    with a high end Agilent power supply, supplying 13 VDC to the PCM. Since
    its on a basic test bench I can not verify if it will run the engine, but
    the scanner does connect and I can toggle on the the fuel pump and both
    fans. I have a few LED's hooked up as indicators. I can write the stock
    file back to the PCM and everything is back to normal. Here are both files.
    I got the 80E tune from the repository, supposed to be stock. I also tried
    to do the segment swap on a the file first, stock file no 2 bar, and it does
    the same thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried a different 80e file yet?

Just to rule out the first file you grabbed maybe being a dud?

Are you swapping both the transmission and transmission diag segments?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Have you tried a different 80e file yet?

Just to rule out the first file you grabbed maybe being a dud?

Are you swapping both the transmission and transmission diag segments?
    I have all year model licencing for the 4th gen fbody. So I tried a stock 2000 Fbody tune, and pulled a stock 2000 truck tune off the repository. Same thing. Its really weird, just wondering if anyone had seen the SES light stay off after doing this. Unless there is something wrong with the pcm. Its out of a 2001 GMC van 4.3 v6. I am using it on a 24x SBC conversion.

Seems like there was only one stock 2500 80E file on there when I looked. I will go back and look again.

Tuner in Training
    I did some more troubleshooting. I suspected my base files may not be stock. I went back to the repository and downloaded a few more files and started comparing them until I found some that matched and started over. I did the segment swap and got the same thing. No SES light. So, I went back and tried to figure out which parameter was causing the problem. The first one I came to, the switch for the transmission type, going from 4l60e to 4l80e was causing it. With the swap done, trans and trans diag swapped and nothing else, I could switch the trans type back to 4l60e and the ses light comes back after a write. Really weird, I may wait and see what happens when I get the PCM back in the truck. Does not seem like anybody else is having this problem.

Tuner in Training
    Just an update. For some reason the PCM was doing this becasue it was not in the vehicle. Now with it in the truck and the full harness connected, everything is working fine!

Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    The segment swaps are for 4l80e to 4l60e, or vice versa. There's a lot more to it than just programming, there's also wiring differences.

On all of the GENIV stuff, like yours, trans swaps are stupid easy, as there is nothing in the PCM anymore.. It's all external in a TCM. So now you can put a 6l80 behind a 5.3 that used to have a 4l60 without issues.

But in your case, where you are just taking an auto tune and going manual, it's stupid easy. Especially on a GENIV setup....
    Is this suppose to be just as easy for the other way around, from an ECM that use to be matched with a manual trans and getting it to work with an automatic?

I originally had an LY6 matched to a 6L90e in my Cutlass. Recently I purchased an LS3 that came with the ECM since it was cammed, figured I would use that ECM and not have to mess with the engine tuning and just add the transmission tune. After everything was done and written I could not read the vehicles speed with my scanner nor could I get the transmission to shift regardless of what table I put in the transmission portion of the tune. It would always stay if first gear. I've tried countless setting changes to try and figure this out but nothing is working.
    1985 Cutlass, LS3 / 6L90e swap.

Potential Tuner

Which files to select when performing segment swap for A6 to M6 on a E38 ECM ???

I converted a 2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV from automatic to manual transmission. I need to segment swap the ECM files so it properly is configured for the transmission change. This should enable me to learn the clutch pedal position sensor I wired in to the ECM as well as get rid of the no communication with TCM code that is now set in my ECM. I found a 2011 Camaro Manual Transmission stock tune with same operating system as my 2011 Caprice. The operating system is 1250232. When I go to perform the segment swap I am unsure of what files to transfer. Its not like the GEN 3's ECMs where they have a separate file just for the transmission. The Gen 4 ECMs dont have a file the says Transmission. The files that are able to be selected in the segment swap are:

-Main Operating System - ID?s are the same
    -System
    -Fuel System
    -Speedometer
    -Engine Diagnostic
    -Engine Operation

Does anybody know what file contains the settings for the ECM to be configured for manual transmission? I am assuming "System" and "Speedometer" but I am not sure. Has anyone swapped a manual trans into a automatic trans Camaro 10-12 and had to go through this procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by kras007 View Post
    I converted a 2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV from automatic to manual transmission. I need to segment swap the ECM files so it properly is configured for the transmission change. This should enable me to learn the clutch pedal position sensor I wired in to the ECM as well as get rid of the no communication with TCM code that is now set in my ECM. I found a 2011 Camaro Manual Transmission stock tune with same operating system as my 2011 Caprice. The operating system is 1250232. When I go to perform the segment swap I am unsure of what files to transfer. Its not like the GEN 3's ECMs where they have a separate file just for the transmission. The Gen 4 ECMs dont have a file the says Transmission. The files that are able to be selected in the segment swap are:

-Main Operating System - ID?s are the same
    -System
    -Fuel System
    -Speedometer
    -Engine Diagnostic
    -Engine Operation

Does anybody know what file contains the settings for the ECM to be configured for manual transmission? I am assuming "System" and "Speedometer" but I am not sure. Has anyone swapped a manual trans into a automatic trans Camaro 10-12 and had to go through this procedure?
    Go on Facebook and see if Dale Heiler is able to send you some Holden files from stick shift big cars. It should be doable I would think. I'll send him the link to this thread.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Potential Tuner
    So i tried to do a segment swap and everything seemed to be in order, but the credits were not complying. So for some reason, I hit the "wright" button and I think thats how I got the license, but during the download, the cable from the lap top to the interface, was faulty. So the tune failed and now my truck won't start. I tried doing the swap again with no luck. I know what your thinking, and I agree. Could you help? 😂

Potential Tuner

Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique Guzman View Post
    So i tried to do a segment swap and everything seemed to be in order, but the credits were not complying. So for some reason, I hit the "wright" button and I think thats how I got the license, but during the download, the cable from the lap top to the interface, was faulty. So the tune failed and now my truck won't start. I tried doing the swap again with no luck. I know what your thinking, and I agree. Could you help? 😂

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique Guzman View Post
    So i tried to do a segment swap and everything seemed to be in order, but the credits were not complying. So for some reason, I hit the "wright" button and I think thats how I got the license, but during the download, the cable from the lap top to the interface, was faulty. So the tune failed and now my truck won't start. I tried doing the swap again with no luck. I know what your thinking, and I agree. Could you help? ��
    The best thing you can do if it fails is NOT to turn the key off and just try writing again. It sounds like you're beyond that, though. Now the only thing you can try is to remove the battery cable for 10 minutes or so and then hook it back up, so the computer resets and hopefully, it's not a brick. ...Actually, you could try writing the VIN back into the computer using a Tech2/MDI...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    The best thing you can do if it fails is NOT to turn the key off and just try writing again. It sounds like you're beyond that, though. Now the only thing you can try is to remove the battery cable for 10 minutes or so and then hook it back up, so the computer resets and hopefully, it's not a brick. ...Actually, you could try writing the VIN back into the computer using a Tech2/MDI...

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Thanks bro. If that doesn't work, then I guess it's time to get a new Brain, right? Thanks again