Thread: 99 Silverado - Radio settings keep resetting

Tuner in Training

99 Silverado - Radio settings keep resetting

I have tuned cars before in the past but I am not sure what would cause my current issue. I just recently put new tires on the truck and tuned the speedo for 265/70/16 tire. The only thing I changed was the height of the tires to 30.6 then wrote the tune back to the car. I tried to do a compare tune from the stock to the change I made and didn't see anything that would cause this. Anyone run into this issue?

99 Silverado 5.3L
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Pretty common on a 99, you didn't do anything wrong. Just a glitch. If your going to repeatedly flash this vehicle pull both radio fuses until your done.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you! I will go ahead and try it!

Tuner in Training
    I am still having the same issue. I really do not want to take it to the dealership because they like charging alot of money. Should I rewrite the tune back to the truck or pull the fuse and rewrite it? Not sure here....

Tuner
    Put the stock file back in and see what happens. If it clears up, pull the fuses and write it again as suggested then see what happens.

I have weird things happen to my electronic HVAC controller when I'm scanning/writing to my 97 Bonneville. Goes away when I disconnect from the car. Weird.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Senior Tuner
    There are 2 radio fuses, one in the truck and one under the hood. Pull them both. Put whatever tune in you want, the problem has nothing to do with the tune file. Its the communication that hpt sends to silence the modules that does it to the radio. Put the fuses back in when your done, reset clock and stations and you should be fine.

Tuner in Training
    Let me get this correct order then.

Remove Fuses in truck and under hood > Tune Truck again > Put fuses back in and double check fix.

Potential Tuner
    You should try: put your original file to ecm and the write again the on that has the tune.
    i think this is not cause of the tune but you should try.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    As long as your tune is simply changes that have been made to the factory tune itself and then written on & not outsourced from the repository or anyone else, your whole tune side of things is just fine. Like mecanicman said any variation of it you want to use, with whatever changes go ahead. No real need to throw the step in of flashing your tune back to 100% stock, won't really apply here. If you want to get crazy though and try other stuff I guess you could try: Putting both fuses back in, then completely disconnecting your vehicles battery for a while. Seeing as your comms. system appears to have gotten confused, doing this tiny additional step may help it forget everything and start fresh. Re-connect the battery letting everything re-energize for a few moments before starting the vehicle or tuning it or doing anything to it. Just remember to always pull the radio/comms. center fuse(s) before flashing that vehicle from now on and the problem shouldn't repeat itself any more.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 11-18-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Senior Tuner
    It seems to be something specific to 99 o/s. I have a 99 sierra, every time I connected scanner to it or flashed the radio would reset. It would sometimes quit working until fuses were pulled and put back in. Once it quite working altogether, I used a tech 2 to bring it back(not sure if module pinging woke it up or what). If the radio fuses are pulled it does not receive whatever signal does not make it happy.

I did discover that this was no longer an issue after I upgraded my pcm to 12212156. No longer have to pull radio fuses, no idea why.