Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Truck LSA Blower Install TUNE HELP- FIRST START

Tuner in Training

2000 Truck LSA Blower Install TUNE HELP- FIRST START

Hello-

Looking for start up Tune help. I attached my tune file and a start up log- not much to see but maybe somebody can help. Truck will crank and somewhat sputter almost run for 1-3 seconds then die off. Almost like a VATS issue- current tune VATS is set to serial- if I set VATS to none- NOTHING HAPPENS WHILE CRANKING- doesnt even act like it wants to fire. VATS set on serial it will at least run/sputter for the 1-2 seconds as seen in log.

2000 Chevy Truck LSA Blower installed,1000CC/95 lb Fuel Connection injectors, LS3 Card style MAF but I am using ZL1 IAT Sensor in blower lid for IAT,
    ZL1 3 BAR MAP SENSOR, P59 GEN3 ECU W/ DBC

I am hoping to run E85 at some point but right now Truck has 91 octane in it.

ALSO I LIVE IN DENVER,CO area (around 5,000 ft elevation)

I also added fuel injector data if it helps

LOG.4.1.23STARTATT.hpl
    2000 Chevy Truck - LSA - 1000cc_IAT_ECT0_MAF_MAP-KPA.FLOW.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

You have the totally wrong MAP sensor settings for that MAP sensor.

312.50 and -11.25 are the GM ZL1 map sensor settings.

You put in the wrong injector data. The flow rate say 15lb/hr and not 95+ lb/hr like you said you bought.

I say ditch the MAF sensor completely, there is no need for the MAF on this setup. Run it straight speed density only.

This is my opinion as well but if the 2 bar OS offered better resolution to the VE table compared to the 3 bar, I would use that instead. The 3 bar table jumps by 20 each row and the 2 bar will jump by 10 which is better for fine tuning. If you don't plan to run much past 15-16psi you'd be totally fine with a 2 bar OS.

Do those changes for the MAP and injector data and it should fire up. The VE will need lots of work after that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

You put in the wrong injector data. The flow rate say 15lb/hr and not 95+ lb/hr like you said you bought.

I say ditch the MAF sensor completely, there is no need for the MAF on this setup. Run it straight speed density only.

This is my opinion as well but if the 2 bar OS offered better resolution to the VE table compared to the 3 bar, I would use that instead. The 3 bar table jumps by 20 each row and the 2 bar will jump by 10 which is better for fine tuning. If you don't plan to run much past 15-16psi you'd be totally fine with a 2 bar OS.

Do those changes for the MAP and injector data and it should fire up. The VE will need lots of work after that.
    Thank you for reply. I have made changes to MAP sensor setting.
    Huge thanks on the KPAvsFlow rate- i set values at LB/HR and the suppled chart from FIC was in G/S. the fine details on this have bit me twice. THANKS AGAIN. I will be sure to report back if it works!!!!

Tuner in Training

MAde changes but now it wont even get close to running. Just cranks. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jgfnova View Post
    MAde changes but now it wont even get close to running. Just cranks. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.
    And the tune file showing the most recent changes is where?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    And the tune file showing the most recent changes is where?
    Sorry about that. Thank you for looking.

Just curious, what throttle body are you using? And does this P59 computer have the correct IAC drivers on it?

I see that you crank the base running airflow way up too. Is this a stock truck 6.0 or does it have a big camshaft too?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Fail the MAF. Trying to do MAF-only on something with so many things changed in the intake tract is a total crapshoot.

How did the Injector Bank Select table get like that? What happen?

Tuner in Training
    Just curious, what throttle body are you using? And does this P59 computer have the correct IAC drivers on it?

I see that you crank the base running airflow way up too. Is this a stock truck 6.0 or does it have a big camshaft too?
    Lq4 6.0 small camshaft 208/216 on 115 Lobe sep.
    92 MM Nick Williams TB
    I checked checked & re-checked PCM #s should have IAC drivers

Tuner in Training
    Fail the MAF. Trying to do MAF-only on something with so many things changed in the intake tract is a total crapshoot.

How did the Injector Bank Select table get like that? What happen?
    I will try the MAF fail and report back.

Inj Bank Select-

I took pieces of my NA tune from 0411 pcm and added to this OS for the P59 as a start point.
    I am a beginner at best here but trying to learn. Any thoughts you might have are appreciated.

If the engine has two banks, the injector bank select table should not be all one value.

There's a crazy amount of changes all over everything in that file, are you sure there are good reasons behind each and every one? Blindly copying things is not a good strategy. Change what you can prove needs changing, otherwise, leave alone.

Tuner in Training
    If the engine has two banks, the injector bank select table should not be all one value.

There's a crazy amount of changes all over everything in that file, are you sure there are good reasons behind each and every one? Blindly copying things is not a good strategy. Change what you can prove needs changing, otherwise, leave alone.
    There is not a good reason- looking at my original NA tune and stock flex fuel tune these values do not match. I will adjust values back to stock Flex tune values.

Again, I thank you for the help.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my latest attempt.

Again- will start and rev up at times (1-2 seconds) but never keeping running.

The more I increase flow rate vs KPA values the amount of run of time is reduced. This makes no sense to me.

I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    Hopefully someone can shed light on the "Bias" table for cylinder charge when using a gen 3 ecu combined with a positive displacement supercharger with the iat sensor in the lid.

On factory PD blower cars like a 2013 ZL1 Camaro, that table is zero'd out and the description mentions to do so when the iat is in the "intake manifold."
    However, maybe the gen 3 ecu doesn't work as well in calculating fueling when that bias table is zero'd out.

In my case I had inconsistent fuel swings with it zero'd out on a P01 ecu. This info will benefit you directly as you have that exact setup but with a newer P59 ecu.
    Last edited by Matt_lq4; 04-02-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_lq4 View Post
    Hopefully someone can shed light on the "Bias" table for cylinder charge when using a gen 3 ecu combined with a positive displacement supercharger with the iat sensor in the lid.

On factory PD blower cars like a 2013 ZL1 Camaro, that table is zero'd out and the description mentions to do so when the iat is in the "intake manifold."
    However, maybe the gen 3 ecu doesn't work as well in calculating fueling when that bias table is zero'd out.

In my case I had inconsistent fuel swings with it zero'd out on a P01 ecu. This info will benefit you directly as you have that exact setup but with a newer P59 ecu.
    Thank you for the reply! At this point I will try anything!!!

Could you recommend a start point for the Bias table?

Advanced Tuner
    No worries, I'd start with the factory values in your tune and then when we get a reply about zeroing it out, then we can deviate from the factory values. I started another thread in hopes of getting an answer on that.

Here is my latest attempt.

Again- will start and rev up at times (1-2 seconds) but never keeping running.

The more I increase flow rate vs KPA values the amount of run of time is reduced. This makes no sense to me.

I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks again.

Ive had 4 customers come in with this same symptoms and it was a ground wire issue everytime.. ground wires to heads and block check them all.. have even seen a bolt bottomed out just before it was tight to a ground wire. causing this same issue

Senior Tuner
    Thank you for the reply! At this point I will try anything!!!

Could you recommend a start point for the Bias table?
    This should get you going. There were a few issues. The biggest issue was the MAF DTC's. They need to be set to MIL on First Error.

Jfrank_6L_LSA_FLEX_KWMOD.hpt

Tuner in Training

Smile

UPDATE-

A friend of mine was able to help me get this beast going!

It took failing MAF (as many here recommended- THANK YOU!), scaling injectors & airflow tables by 50%. Now the fun of working out VE tables & idle issues begins.

That said- i do have one question regarding the Flow VS KPA Scale-

I am running an aftermarket adjustable FPR w/ return line that IS boost referenced, base is set @ 58 PSI. Does the Flow VS KPA scale need to be sliding (like in the attached screenshot) or should the scale have the same value in every box ( I read- use the 40KPA value. Again, I do not know)?

Please provide reasoning with answer- just wanting to understand the what for the why. Thanks again for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wherever you read that you should use the 40 kPa value, if you have that place bookmarked, you should probably delete it.

The pressure delta, or difference between injector inlet (the rail) and the tip (intake runner), is always the same with a manifold-referenced regulator. The injector does not flow more when vacuum is high because when vacuum is high rail pressure is reduced. And when manifold pressure is high (WOT or in boost) the injector does not flow less because rail pressure is raised. The differential from inlet to outlet is kept the same. So flow rate is always the same.

The Offset vs Volts vs VAC table needs to be flat as well, using only the 0 kPa data pasted in every column.

Needing to be scaled by 50% with a Gen 3 PCM and only 115lb injectors does not sound right. It should run without scaling anything, the PCM will take up to 254lb before anything needs scaling.