Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Economy Tuning Ideas

I set the switchpoints to 350mv across the board but didnt see a change in my AFR (via wideband). I am in closed loop so whats the deal? My wideband shows slightly rich at 14.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic
    I set the switchpoints to 350mv across the board but didnt see a change in my AFR (via wideband). I am in closed loop so whats the deal? My wideband shows slightly rich at 14.5.
    Any luck now? I tried it on my Z a while back and it did not do a thing either. Makes you wonder what the since of having #s in there if it does not do anything.

I will be putting 2 wb02's in place of the nb in the future to see how that dials in.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

The 2 widebands won't help as you will be "simulating" the o2 voltages. If you don't see a change then that generally means you are at a limit somewhere.
    Always Support Our Troops!

I gave up that approach and ran open loop with a .9 divider in the cruise ranges. That only got me .3mpg though...

.3 MPG and running 10% lean. Not even worth it.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Exactly what I was thinking.

just read everything on this thread I'll be trying some of this stuff good info.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH
    I don't know how to tell if DFCO is on or off. It says DFCO enable normal, and has 104 f for the temp. Under Enable TPS vs rpm the values are 7.5 and under. My throttle is always more than 7.5% so would DFCO never turn on and therefore it is always off right now? Sorry I dont understand how to tune very well.
    Your Narrow Band O2's will drop off when you go into DFCO, you should see this happen live on your scanner, they should be switching up and down and when you let off the accelerator they should drop off, unless your outside of one of the parameter settings, I set mine up to stay off all the way down to 1000rpm.

The only thing I miss about having the economized DFCO is the car doesn;t pop and growl like it used to when decelerating under ignition. sounded wicked mean.

Tuner in Training
    ok, question for you guys. once I started getting into tuning with HPt, I notice my mpg consistently going down.

when i first got the 2000 LS1/4L60e in the truck, and corrected the speedo with a hypertech tuner, I was seeing around 19 around town.

since I tuned the VE and maf, and changed from 4.10 to 3.70 gears, I am now seeing a whopping 16. it feels like it has real good power, and I can see it running a high 12 in good air drag racing.

I just don't see why it dropped so much, especially when going to higher gearing and most of my fuel trims were rich prior to tuning. it doesnt make sense to me.

so, should I be seeing better than 16 around town? or am I just crazy?

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe the speedo "correction" via the Hypertech was wrong?

As for me, my 2002 Z71 5.3 litre 373 geared truck used to get 13 usually in mixed driving, and now gets 16, and truck is tuned for 87 octane, runs fantastic, and has plenty of power when needed, so I am happy...

FWIW, I verified my past & present speedometer calibrations with a GPS, and I know that even before any tuning, it was off by a few mph, which obviously skewed the MPG calculations.

I don't think you are crazy. I think it's more a case of the prior MPG calculations being wrong myself.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Maybe the speedo "correction" via the Hypertech was wrong?

As for me, my 2002 Z71 5.3 litre 373 geared truck used to get 13 usually in mixed driving, and now gets 16, and truck is tuned for 87 octane, runs fantastic, and has plenty of power when needed, so I am happy...

FWIW, I verified my past & present speedometer calibrations with a GPS, and I know that even before any tuning, it was off by a few mph, which obviously skewed the MPG calculations.

I don't think you are crazy. I think it's more a case of the prior MPG calculations being wrong myself.
    I could be wrong on my math back then, at least 19 is what I think I was getting then (that was mixed driving though). the speedo is accurate within 1mph @25mph actual speed, verified it just the other day with the police radar display trailer that was conveniently parked up the street from me.

If you're using the dash display to view your fuel mileage, you're wasting your time. First, borrow a GPS and dial-in your speedometer. Then, fill the truck up using the lowest fuel nozzle speed, and stopping the fuel at the first nickel past where it clicks off. Note your mileage and drive for 3/4 of a tank. Then fuel up from the same pump using the same procedure. Calculate you fuel mileage and report back.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531 View Post
    If you're using the dash display to view your fuel mileage, you're wasting your time. First, borrow a GPS and dial-in your speedometer. Then, fill the truck up using the lowest fuel nozzle speed, and stopping the fuel at the first nickel past where it clicks off. Note your mileage and drive for 3/4 of a tank. Then fuel up from the same pump using the same procedure. Calculate you fuel mileage and report back.
    I agree 100%. I must have reflashed my truck 6 or 8 times before the truck's speedo and the GPS matched as perfectly as I could get them at many various speeds. When mileage checking, I also try to fill at the same exact pump as well, just to try and minimize the variations.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Advanced Tuner
    Is there anyway for the lean cruise to be enabled? Or it just isn't possible. Its a 02 silverado 2 bar OS.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    Is there anyway for the lean cruise to be enabled? Or it just isn't possible. Its a 02 silverado 2 bar OS.
    Not possible.

Tuner in Training
    does anyone have trial Settings for lean cruise for a 2004 m6 GTO with:

Comp Custom Cam 228/230 .588/.592 112+ 2,59cc PRC stg 2.5 5.3's, Proxses modified 85mm ls6 intake, PP 85mm TB, Stainless Works LT'S with hollow cats, JBA Catback,AEM Brute force CAI, SLP 160 T-Stat, SVO Green Tops

Was getting 26 avg mpg with same mods on with stock ls1 injectors without lean cruise mode now im getting around 23 with the addition of the Bosch SVO Green Top 42's =( same round trip same basic weather conditions same speed ( 70 mph cruise control)

All the injector data has been entered and re tuned and fuel trims seem to be right on just using more gas for some reason.

we even logged twice with maf disconnected then made changes and re connected the maf and logged again just seems strange.

Id like to try lean cruise mode and try to increase MPG where it was on stock injectors or I might switch to another injector so initial trial settings that can be tweaked would be beneficial. Thanks -Pete
    2004 M6 GTO

Comp Custom Cam 228/230 .588/.592 112+ 2,59cc PRC stg 2.5 5.3's, Proxses modified 85mm ls6 intake, PP 85mm TB, Stainless Works LT'S with hollow cats, JBA Catback, Southbend Stg 2 clutch, Drag Bags, 06 Bumper, 06 Tails, 06 Brakes, MGW Proxses Modified shifter, AEM Brute force CAI, SLP 160 T-Stat. Green top injectors

Advanced Tuner
    I set my buddies 04 GTO with a Trex cam up on lean cruise. I believe I went a little more agressive on the kick in times and set the mph lower. I do know he went from getting 11 mpg in town untuned to getting 17 mpg in town with the lean cruise setup. I will see if I can get the tune from him as its on his computer.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroused383 View Post
    I set my buddies 04 GTO with a Trex cam up on lean cruise. I believe I went a little more agressive on the kick in times and set the mph lower. I do know he went from getting 11 mpg in town untuned to getting 17 mpg in town with the lean cruise setup. I will see if I can get the tune from him as its on his computer.
    that would be great
    2004 M6 GTO

Comp Custom Cam 228/230 .588/.592 112+ 2,59cc PRC stg 2.5 5.3's, Proxses modified 85mm ls6 intake, PP 85mm TB, Stainless Works LT'S with hollow cats, JBA Catback, Southbend Stg 2 clutch, Drag Bags, 06 Bumper, 06 Tails, 06 Brakes, MGW Proxses Modified shifter, AEM Brute force CAI, SLP 160 T-Stat. Green top injectors

Advanced Tuner
    Here you go look at the Fuel control > lean cruise tab and all of those tables closely. Also look at Spark > Advance > Spark correction Afr Correction tables.

Tuner in Training
    hello guys,

I have read through this whole thread a few times now trying to figure out what the best settings are, or should be as a general rule. It seems everyone has gotten off track though, instead of worrying about what to adjust for economy we have been more worried about "how" to monitor the economy. I am not saying its not needed, I am just saying its getting tougher to wade through the mess.

So, has anyone on these past 11 pages gone through, played with different settings, and have some numbers they can come back and post? If nobody has anything then my next mission is to go back through, dig up every table and cell people talk about, and come up with some numbers that are in there, or have been tried in there.

Its my hope that someone (perhaps me) can at least identify all in one post where the important cells are, and some sort of range to make on them.

If anyone has started something like this all ready then please let me know.

I just came in from doing a bunch of changes to my 07 Chev Express 3500. I will be monitoring it over the next couple weeks to see what my average economy goes up to. So far I have averaged 16.8 L/100km with a good blend of mixed driving. Stay Tuned for some results.