Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I change the VIN on a replacement PCM to match my Vehicle VIN??

How do I change the VIN on a replacement PCM to match my Vehicle VIN??

Hi guys as the subject says, How do I change the VIN on a replacement PCM to match my Vehicle VIN?? not sure how this is done or if it can be done?
    I know i have to do a parameter reset & relink the BEM with a replacement PCM.....

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think there is the capability of vin change YET??? in the 2.25 but if the file is supported (read with 2.24) it normally can be changed with that!

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure how you went with this?

I did a bit of experimenting today & 2.24 tries to change but can't!

Then 2.25 won't even allow it as yet!

So with disabling (reversing both) PATs it allows the car to run & drive fine but icc shows CODE, so radio & similar doesn't work! I'm thinking seeing territories don't have codes if they PCM had the correct vin then it MAY be ok?

The theft hand stays on the dash but again this is most likely just the vin miss-match?

You can't change VIN to a Ford PCM because the license is tied to it.
    You may be able to do it with a full flash, but it will cost you 2 more credits.
    It's very possible the PCM will retain the original VIN, I have never tried it so ask Eric first
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I did a write entire, but it still kept the original vin, I think it may be possible with later 2.25 releases as that software links to the serial & not the vin, but nothing like it as yet?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    At this time we have no plans to add vin changing for fords. Additionally on the newer ford pcm's the vin isn't written during the write entire process(its not in the flash or something to that effect similar to 98 ls1 pcm's for instance)

If you are looking to change vin's you'll likely need to look elsewhere when it comes to fords.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Well that settles that, so what is the best option to change vin on ford controllers as they have to all be the same for the factory system to operate correctly AFAIK.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Ford dealer flash tool I would assume have this sort of capability.

Tuner
    I have changed the vin in 2.24 to test a test a tune in my car.
    It did work but saying that I haven't tried the 2.25

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting do u know what release of 2.24 ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    any version of 2.24, BUT, you need the year/model license and the vin/os pair must be a valid one. I've done it for a few customers(slap the vin in the file) that have those early fords that didn't have a vin number from the factory, but everyday customers having year/model license is pretty uncommon for these.

thanks for the replys... I had to use the vin from the original car to be able to read & flash the replacement PCM.... After I performed the re-link with a snap-on (which allowed the car to start with one key programmed to BEM,????? go figure)...

I could not get the speedo to work, throwing the car into limp mode .... i tried each combination of speedo source but no luck. I'm pretty sure the VID block was not correct for this vehicle. (can't change that in HP can I ????)

Anyone else replaced a turbo pcm with an NA pcm have this issue?? The car it came out of was a 3.46 diff 4 speed auto as well........
    Last edited by IXR08; 12-03-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't think you could use a N/a PCM in a turbo, Turbo PCM's I thought normally have the 3 batch connectors were most (not all) N/a PCM's only have 2 the 1 closest to the front of the car was mainly for LPG & Turbo control AFAIK?

When I did my testing with above mentioned VIN vehicle I copied ALL the differences across from the tune that was supposed to be on original PCM to the other PCM (but HPT software hit limits with 2 of the scalars 1 for VSS & other for o2 sensor timer) but just tested it in the car & wouldn't start unless did pat's mod, then went to try & link it with Snap-On but came up with an error (was a weekend so couldn't call diagnostics to find why). So just test drove it & went perfect no flat spots or fluctations & speed on cluster was PERFECT (within 1Km at 100Kmh), so not sure what the reference ratio error does maybe for trans shifting?

But because it wasn't linked & didn't have the right VIN the radio or similar didn't work, so assuming I did a write entire over of the ORIGINAL PCM to the replacement like Bill mentioned with 2.24 it MAY have worked with correct VIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    any version of 2.24, BUT, you need the year/model license and the vin/os pair must be a valid one. I've done it for a few customers(slap the vin in the file) that have those early fords that didn't have a vin number from the factory, but everyday customers having year/model license is pretty uncommon for these.
    Eric i need this done for a BA i have can you organise it for me please ??
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Eric i need this done for a BA i have can you organise it for me please ??
    Send me an email and I'll take care of you.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I already took care of him.

Take 2 please
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Send me an email and I'll take care of you.
    I have been asked to help a guy who after jump starting his car just beeped twice and stopped. It has activated some anti theft feature and has the Theft Hand on the dash but the car wont start any more. What do I need to do to reset this and get the car to restart.

its a 2002 Fairmont Ghia I6 Barra 4 speed auto. Thanks in Advance for a pointer in the right direction

Advanced Tuner
    Honestly without knowing how the controller is responding is going to be the hard thing to know if your wasting your money on licensing, but you could reverse both pats on the factory settings & it will allow it to start but then come up with errors on the rest of the system if the VIN doesn't match, but seeing it is the same car it "MAY" be o.k.?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant LS1 View Post
    Honestly without knowing how the controller is responding is going to be the hard thing to know if your wasting your money on licensing, but you could reverse both pats on the factory settings & it will allow it to start but then come up with errors on the rest of the system if the VIN doesn't match, but seeing it is the same car it "MAY" be o.k.?
    I will give that a go, it does seem strange that one PATS setting is enabled and the other disabled (maybe it's just my logic that's strange) Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by Bigmat; 07-31-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Wanted to watch replies, which were turned off