Thread: l83 spark knock at low rpm and g/cyl

Advanced Tuner

l83 spark knock at low rpm and g/cyl

Hey guys, im having hell getting rid of knock retard on my 2014 silverado on 87 octane gas. On 92, I can play with the soi base table and run up to 24-25* with no knock. However, even afee spending hours on 87, I'm still getting knock on the stock timing map. Any pointers?

Advanced Tuner
    Here is an informative answer that may help ...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post367713

Advanced Tuner
    That's my thread and is a completely separate issue

Advanced Tuner
    Information sharing is a two-way street ... those that give help, will always receive help.

Far too much egocentric arrogance on this Forum of late ... I think mowton summed it up nicely.

Advanced Tuner
    Jon, may I show you the list of pm's that I have to everyone in that post as well as people who found it searching, where i helped all of them find the issue. I WILL NOT spoon feed everyone on the forum, no one learns that way. I will however be happy to help guide someone into figuring the problem out, which helps them learn. "Ask and ye shall receive". Im just asking if everyone else is seeing this problem, and if its just something to live with or something that can be worked out.

Advanced Tuner
    Rhetoric and B.S. ... as is your lowbrow post in the other thread, complete with name calling and condescension ...

Advanced Tuner
    If you have no help to bringk to the table, jusjust don't reply. There's atleast four guys out of the other thread very grateful that I figured it out and shared with them unlike the josh idiot... but im pretty sure I have kr nailed down too now, just want other tuners opinions

I've only done one on 93 octane which as you mentioned had no issues. Regardless of what the recommended octane is from GM though doesn't mean the stock map is ideal. G8's for example can run on 87 but the stock timing map is way too advanced has KR all over the board.

May just have to back off timing in some of the higher load areas.

Is your fueling dialed in?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet6.0 View Post
    If you have no help to bringk to the table, jusjust don't reply.
    I'll post whatever I believe is necessary ... just like you ... except that my posts will be both helpful, and appropriate - unlike yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet6.0 View Post
    There's atleast four guys out of the other thread very grateful that I figured it out and shared with them unlike the josh idiot... but im pretty sure I have kr nailed down too now, just want other tuners opinions
    Ah, so you shared privately with 4 whole people ... rather than the Forum body ... despite wanting everyone else to help you - just because you started a thread.

Advanced Tuner
    I was hoping someone would see the thead and message me if they don't wish to share.

Tuner in Training
    I did some c7 ,There are false knock at low rpm . that knock is from the direct injectors and fuel pump it causing that .
    If it real knock try to reduce timing in spark >advance> variable cam

Quote Originally Posted by viper2fast View Post
    I did some c7 ,There are false knock at low rpm . that knock is from the direct injectors and fuel pump it causing that .
    If it real knock try to reduce timing in spark >advance> variable cam
    We had a C7 pretty early on and ran multiple tests using knock limited (high octane) fuels to validate there is a lot of noise being picked up by the knock sensors.....this being said.....as much as it seems calibrating around KR is the correct way its not due to this. You really need to turn off all knock control and do a spark hook test to find peak cylinder pressure on a load control dyno..... once you establish this curve at a variety of load ranges....reenable the controls and knock some sensitivity and aggressiveness out......

KR doesn't always mean you are detonating........we where observing 4-5 degrees of KR on MS109 fuel with 18 degrees of total timing.....quick way to quantify this....

Also note the truck knock controls function slightly different then the Corvette....we are still trying to understand whats going on in the OS thats different...either way the spark hook method is the true way to map out legit spark values..

Howard
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Advanced Tuner
    Yea, i guess I'm gonna have to rent some dyno time. How can I desensitize the sensors on the gen 5 cals? Raise the threshold levels per cylinder? Or just change a modifier? I rarely ever hear audible knock, even on 87 octane. When I log the most kr, i believe it's picling up fuel system noise.

Advanced Tuner
    What's wierd is that when the computer logs kr, I have no audible knock, however driving through town and blip the throttle or occasionally at wot, I have audible labor knock, but no logged kr. Maked me nervous since I know damage can be done before you actually hear spark knock.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm starting to wonder if I have some fuel knock going on. When I see these kr values at cruise, my timing drops down to single digit numbers. Maybe I need MORE timing in those areas to burn off the fuel better. When there is no kr, timing is in the mid 20s.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, so I set up a histogram to log kr against the soi base table in the tune and used it as a guide where to increase the soi. So far, so good. I've been able to add about 3* of timing at wot with no knock, cruise kr is down to a degree or two occasionally on 87 octane fuel. It seems the knock is always worse after a flash. So I'm gonna drive it for a day and re log to see how it'd doing. Delivered engine torque is up, so I'm making progress.