Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with FG Tune wastegate error

Tuner in Training

Problems with FG Tune wastegate error

Hey guys a friend is having issues tuning his FG turbo. The car has been converted to external gate. When ramping it up on the dyno its closing the throttle and throws the code p1227, waste gate control system failed. When converting to external gate do all the tables relating to the factory turbocharger control have to be zeroed out? Would having them still in the tune cause this issue? Another FG f6 (retaining the factory turbo system) is also throwing this code too.

Have attached a copy of the tune. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do u know the difference between open and closed loop boost control ?

Do u have an understanding of why this code has been pulled and what its trying to tell you ?
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Do u know the difference between open and closed loop boost control ?

Do u have an understanding of why this code has been pulled and what its trying to tell you ?
    Hey Jet! I'm familiar with the difference between open and closed loop although i have never tuned in open loop. When i was mucking around with my old Turbo i tuned the boost in closed loop. From what i understand you have to match the desired boost and waste gate duty cycle tables as close as possible when increasing boost. This code relates to boost being continuously higher than desired. The FG f6 came up with this after a 12psi actuator was fitted so i assume he would have to redo the boost tables to bring them in line again so the code is removed.

Sounds like your answering your own questions fairly well

What is the benifit of "zeroing" control tables ?
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like your answering your own questions fairly well

What is the benifit of "zeroing" control tables ?
    Thanks Jet, I just thought seeing as the car is running an external gate it wouldn't need to reference off any of the factory boost tables since boost is managed mechanically. I thought those tables may be interfering because of what the map sensor is seeing and shutting down throttle.

Advanced Tuner
    there's a fudge and a fix. Fudge is to max the p1227 count and constant (eng diag/airflow tab) fixed is to map the desired boost tables to reflect the mechanical response of the car. I usually do this and then adjust the count and constant if require (ie a tweak not a max out)

don't forget to adjust the map max volts to reflect the max boost pressure.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    there's a fudge and a fix. Fudge is to max the p1227 count and constant (eng diag/airflow tab) fixed is to map the desired boost tables to reflect the mechanical response of the car. I usually do this and then adjust the count and constant if require (ie a tweak not a max out)

don't forget to adjust the map max volts to reflect the max boost pressure.
    Thanks Hiddeous, I'll give the first method a go and see if it eradicates the problem. If it does, we'll tune it into the desired boost table. Would you have to account for the mechanical response in the wastegate DC table as well?

Ok so what do those tables do ?

And what will "zeroing" them do ?

Your on the right track .......

Advanced Tuner
    Force open loop and see if it's controlling boost ok

Advanced Tuner
    There is a heap of FG boost control tables missing so Im not surprised you're having issues. I would force open loop if I were tuning an FG with HPT.

Never ever had an issue its more than capable with what's available

But additional tables would help for sure would love to compare the two different tuning formats to see what sct has to offer in the fg side of things.
    log the stock tune and reflect what its doing its there and it works with hp
    Last edited by JETURBO; 12-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Jet, you tuned an FG in closed loop with 16+ psi?

I intent to add quite a bit more parameters to these vehicles once 2.25 becomes the stable release.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    how do you force open loop?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    In basic form, you simply zero any integral or proportional gain

Advanced Tuner
    Max the under and over boost thresholds. Max P1227 etc. This is the basic setup so boost is determined by the wastegate duty cycle table only. I'd list out the other tables, but I don't have the time and Eric will know they're there anyway as they're pretty obvious. Rarely (if ever) would you see a highish HP FG use these tables anyway so no stress 👍

Advanced Tuner
    ...and gain multiplier...zero that sucker 👍

Tuner
    thank you
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    Never ever had an issue its more than capable with what's available

But additional tables would help for sure would love to compare the two different tuning formats to see what sct has to offer in the fg side of things.
    log the stock tune and reflect what its doing its there and it works with hp
    there is so much missing for FG's im amazed anyone still bothers using this to tune them,

i used it again last week and wasted 2 credits. missing tables, incorrect tables, tables backwards etc.. good to see they are still taking peoples money with a product that dosent work correctly...

Advanced Tuner
    Have you emailed support so Bill can add it to Eric's "to do" list?
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile