Thread: Anyone used Kmon?

Anyone used Kmon?

I've got my self a Gizzmo Kmon 2, just wondering if anyone had any tips regarding sensor placement and settings.

I'll do some trial and error this weekend but it's hard to tell if it's working without introducing knock.

Cheers guys

Hey mate sorry been busy

I always use the rear location on bf/fg obviously front on ba and you want to dial the gain into around 19-20 as this is most accurate, keep the audio cord away from as much as you can, the b series has a great spot under the glovebox

On the 5.0 s/c you have to make your own mind up

Obviously the freq selection is only close to our piston size so i use the freq just above

The trick is to make sure you use the display and head set together as the sound ref can be a bit hard to distinguish for newbs

I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this on the street !!!

Set your car up on the dyno, windows up and adjust the vol to 3/4 ish , start the log at exactly the same time as you start your x3 logging and flick the switch or spacebar to begin the dyno pull, this takes practice !

When you use the x3 and dyno u get all the data u can ever need ( time/rpm/duration/retard )

Save your logs and assess what you got

Remember as a hard and fast rule imho 60 is knock, 45 is the limit of MTMT, after that your gaining fark all and flying way to close to the threshold, but everyone has their opinions on this ........you will see the dyno also throw up heaps of signs

This is an RB30 "within MTMT " ( sorry only photo i took showing both screens )

Note theres still noise from the engine but clear enough to distinguish

This is set up for drift so it lives on the limiter and heat soaked so needs to be applicable to the application, ull see the 2/3/4th pull logged on the dyno screen and proves repeatedly and this is what this car needed

http://youtu.be/PFkGwOcsXY4
    Last edited by JETURBO; 01-22-2015 at 02:57 AM.
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by timwds View Post
    I've got my self a Gizzmo Kmon 2, just wondering if anyone had any tips regarding sensor placement and settings.

I'll do some trial and error this weekend but it's hard to tell if it's working without introducing knock.

Cheers guys
    Hi , just lightly tap ( adjust accordingly ) on the engine with a screw driver and you can replicate spike levels to simulate knock to view it on the screen rather than force knock experiment with different positions and distances placement of the knock sensors- experiment anywhere on the engine block/head will be fine all depends on accessibility background noise can be audible and non_audible frequencies also you will distinguish between background noise and detonation even if you have a noisy idler pulley bearing and/or accessories attached to the engine

Detonation can be audible and non_audible frequencies so visual and listening devices are need to be run side by side. All fun and games.

I have been using GM VN V6 knock sensors back since the vehicle where introduced via a oscilloscope while dyno session also have headphones set

There is no set rule where the knock sensors have to be fitted exactly remember if working a Ford I6 cylinder engine any one of the six cylinders can knock and or all knock.

Cheers

Thanks heaps guys,

Jet, when you say use the rear, are you unbolting and replacing the stock sensor or high jacking one of the plenum supports?

When you put a car on the dyno, are you disabling knock detection in the PCM so it doesn't interfere?

just lightly tap ( adjust accordingly ) on the engine with a screw driver
    Thanks, I'll give it a go

I've been listening to a few online samples, rain on a tin roof is the best analogy I've heard, when it starts to hail you've gone too far

Yes remove the rear one and disabled knock sensors when tuning
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

So... spent the long weekend playing around with kmon with great success.

I mounted the sensor on the rear mount (BFII) and connected the sensor directly to the mic port on my laptop, recorded a knock sample and viewed it with a spectrogram. From that I found that roughly 6.2kHz (6.12khz was closest setting) was the ideal center frequency, 0.587khz bandwidth (from memory) and used 22 sensitivity.

It seemed to work really well except the knock numbers I was seeing were around 12, not the 60 you were talking about.

Can you think of anything I've done wrong?

For anyone who maybe interested, here is a screenshot of the spectrogram. I have the original WAV file but it won't let me attach them.

Spectrogram.png