Ok I will try to keep this short and hopefully make sense. I just bought a 2011 Equinox with the 3.0 V6. It is a salvage vehicle that was totalled due to a lightning strike.

I am told it went to the local GM dealer who threw over $6k in parts at it including PCM, BCM, TCM instrument cluster, airbag module, fuel pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, heater controls, fuse box and probably some other things. After it still wouldnt start, the dealer said it needed a new radio (has the Nav unit) for $2200. The people who owned it at that time asked if a used radio would suffice and the dealer told them "maybe". A used radio was installed and then the dealer told them they were unable to overwrite the VIN from the used radio and the vehicle will have to have a new radio for $2200.

My question at this point is, if the reason the car wont start is related to the anti theft system, can't I just disable the VATS and it should start? I dont have the car in my possesion yet so I dont have the file. The only 2011 Equinox tune in the repositiory is 4 cylinder and I noticed it has a VATS 1 and VATS 2 option. I assume both of those would need to be set to "disable"?

Anyone have any input on this before I get started? I am planning on picking it up Monday.....