Thread: Fan On temp change...

Fan On temp change...

Probably a simple answer but Im pretty new with E38 tuning. How do I lower the FAN On and Off temps on E38 ECMs? I usually only tune Gen 3 PCMs which are pretty self explanatory with the FAN settings.

do I just adjust the Ignition off> Enable ECT A and Disable ECT temps?

Thanks for the help and any info you guys can provide.

ok i figured out i need to adjust the Fan desired % vs. ECT. so my question now is how do i lower the ECT temp so I can adjust the Fan %? A friend of mine wants the Fans to come on between 160* and 170*F but the table only goes down to 192*F.

Quote Originally Posted by kgraves View Post
    Probably a simple answer but Im pretty new with E38 tuning. How do I lower the FAN On and Off temps on E38 ECMs? I usually only tune Gen 3 PCMs which are pretty self explanatory with the FAN settings.

do I just adjust the Ignition off> Enable ECT A and Disable ECT temps?

Thanks for the help and any info you guys can provide.
    Just go to System>Fans>desired Fan %....the values represent the percentage of fan (100% full on, 0% off) and increase the percentage at the lower temperatures. Try not to go too crazy, have seen people set them to all 100% and run into electrical wire burning.....draws a lot of juice :-)

The ignition off fan settings are for when you shut the car off and the temp is above 260 (IIRC) to help in the cool down. Shouldn't
    t need to touch these.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

ok awesome. thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by kgraves View Post
    ok i figured out i need to adjust the Fan desired % vs. ECT. so my question now is how do i lower the ECT temp so I can adjust the Fan %? A friend of mine wants the Fans to come on between 160* and 170*F but the table only goes down to 192*F.
    From my understanding, the lowest cell in that table (192) is for 192 and under.. but there is no way to adjust specifically 160 to 170. All you can do starts at 192

There is no reason to run an engine at 160-170 though. That is plain too cold IMO.

NOW, if you upgrade to one of the customs OS's, most of those include a larger fan table so that you can adjust it a bit lower. On mine it brought the lowest part of the fan table down to 163*F

Personally I set mine to stay off until 196 (15%), then it ramps up quick after that. 75% @ 201, 90% @ 207 and 90% the rest of the way up

I try to avoid sounding like a street sweeper with a fan that is wide open for no reason whenever possible, lol

The reality of it is lowering the fans isn't going to really lower your operating temperature because at some temperature point the Fans are going to be on full and the water temp will reach its max temp due to internal heating and the system will reach a stabilized point. While you might be delaying attaining this stabilization point, it still will happen.

Changing out the thermostat is really the only way to bring down your operating temps I believe.....but I still lower the fans on every tune I do :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    If you go mafless and upgrade to speed density enhancement you can turn your fans on sooner. I wanna say 160-170 ish?
    Other wise it's 192

Advanced Tuner
    Yes use 2bar OS.

Senior Tuner
    You can still run the MAF with the enhanced OS in the E38.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    upgrade your OS you can still run the Maf on E38 you will see a lower starting point for the fans i believe its 163F

you need to double check your MAF transfer again as it will have more resolution so it needs to be retuned.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    upgrade your OS you can still run the Maf on E38 you will see a lower starting point for the fans i believe its 163F
    If you do upgrade OS's, make sure you check the MAP sensor settings before doing the full write.. I know on the E40's it will automatically put in values for a different MAP sensor, so you need to swap those back to whatever reality is

hi friends please help me about gmc yukon 2007 default fan control esay tuning . send me data via snapshot image or hpt file.----my customers car yukon 2007 fan starting after 150 digree c.

Quote Originally Posted by mahfuzur rahman View Post
    hi friends please help me about gmc yukon 2007 default fan control esay tuning . send me data via snapshot image or hpt file.----my customers car yukon 2007 fan starting after 150 digree c.
    Not trying to be rude, but I doubt anyone has any idea what you're asking, because I sure don't.

Potential Tuner
    Nice thread, I'm playing with the fans as well, is there a way to obtain the stock GM numbers for the PWM controlled fan values?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilepop View Post
    Nice thread, I'm playing with the fans as well, is there a way to obtain the stock GM numbers for the PWM controlled fan values?

Thanks
    What are you looking for exactly?

If you just want a stock tune, go to the HP Tuners repository and download a stock tune to look at

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but shouldn't there be a certain % fan commanded at a specific point earlier on in certain situations to get the most efficient and effective cooling? For example, stock tune with stock thermostat is likely set up OK (if not a bit high) by GM. Switching to a 160 degree thermostat with the goal of better performance resulting from a cooler running motor would almost require a 2 bar OS to be most effective, correct? Or are you guys able to get adequate performance from the fans without them running most of the time without any settings below 192 degrees?

A. you're assuming that cooler is always better
    B. it isn't
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock