Thread: 6L80E Awful 2-3 Flare

6L80E Awful 2-3 Flare

Ok guys, curious your thoughts on what exactly needs to be done to eliminate a nasty 2-3 shift flare under part throttle in a 6L80E G8. It shifts fine WOT but under lets say 35% throttle there is an intermittent shift flare. Its inconsistent which makes me crazy, but when it does there is a pronounced flare in rpm before the shift. This is on a 100% stock calibration. Any advise is appreciated.

Try changing Max Adapt Vol in Transmission>Torque Management from 40 to 200....the A6 is very complicated with many parameters to adjust, but it reacts famously to a tune :-). Try logging the event and posting both the log and your tune.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-10-2015 at 06:55 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah ive been digging into the info on these and what a massive amount of parameters! Ill do some logging and post back, Thanks.

Tuner
    You can add a bit more tranny pressure too
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Tuner
    Lower the shift times and remove any adders

Tuner
    Also the Discrete Shift Torque Mode

I appreciate the responses guys... being new to these trans im a bit gun shy on what parameteres to change and by how much... when you guy say add tranny pressure, lower shift times, discrete shift torque mode etc.... how much change are we talking? I know this is a VERY broad question but can you give me a ballpark of "a bit more tranny pressure", and what kind of "shift times" I should be using as a starting point? (Ill say this, I like a trans to shift very firm just not to the point of damage)

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05 View Post
    I appreciate the responses guys... being new to these trans im a bit gun shy on what parameteres to change and by how much... when you guy say add tranny pressure, lower shift times, discrete shift torque mode etc.... how much change are we talking? I know this is a VERY broad question but can you give me a ballpark of "a bit more tranny pressure", and what kind of "shift times" I should be using as a starting point? (Ill say this, I like a trans to shift very firm just not to the point of damage)
    What they are saying is to tune the entire tranny......fully. That does take some doing, some learning, some experience etc. Thought you were looking to try and get rid of the 2-3 flare....those are 2 completely different efforts. How do you want to proceed?

What year G8

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Ed,

Thanks, well I guess my plans are two fold. Above all the 2-3 flare MUST go. Beyond that, yes Id like to tune the tranny fully. I definitely understand that there is a lot to it and im sure you can derail yourself pretty fast if you just start changing things.

What I would like: NO flare, nice firm shifts part throttle, tire barking shifts at WOT... is that a lot to ask? lol

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05 View Post
    Ed,

Thanks, well I guess my plans are two fold. Above all the 2-3 flare MUST go. Beyond that, yes Id like to tune the tranny fully. I definitely understand that there is a lot to it and im sure you can derail yourself pretty fast if you just start changing things.

What I would like: NO flare, nice firm shifts part throttle, tire barking shifts at WOT... is that a lot to ask? lol
    Did you ever fix the 2-3 upshift flare issue? I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 5.3 A6 and I'm having the EXACT same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by santeegreen View Post
    Did you ever fix the 2-3 upshift flare issue? I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 5.3 A6 and I'm having the EXACT same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?
    Has this trans been modified? I have had similar issues with a PATC kit fitted (3-5 clutch and shaft) I found I could fix it if I drove around slow then but if I booted it then drove around slow again it wold slip then slam for 4-6 shifts before returning to a reasonable shift. I made many of the changes listed above but also made all the 2-3 shift pressure table 800kpa. It is like the adaptive has no cell learning, and applied the same learning to high torque as low torque. The high torque shift was so quick it would reduce pressure causing the low torque shifts to be slippery and then bang in. I also raised the oncoming Volume preset, I believe when they do the clutch upgrade they take out the wave washer and add clutches so the shift in less progressive and tends to slip then grab hard.