Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZF disable kick down in sequential?

Tuner in Training
    Here's that pic, sorry it's a dyno screen which better serves to show it actually... The red line is converter unlocked not being able to relock, see how much more power it's making at low roadspeed (as the TCC is unlocked and engine rpm is much higher/in boost)

Also note the point where the power level of the blue line surpasses the red line, that's the point where we would normally desire the lockup to engage to give the efficiency back to the car, this point in roadspeed can be worked out as an OSS number by gear ratio and inserted in the TCC tables

But again if the threshold rpm ratio across the converter is not adjustable then more powerful cars/looser converters will not be allowed to engage the lockup (TCC)

Daniel

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    Welcome Daniel and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

My question is that shift map 27 does not appear to be just manual mode as turbotrana found:

And I checked with the same result. Does anyone know if this is the only add on for this shift map?
    Table 27 is manual mode only, even in cruise control once you engage manual mode you stay in 27... Of this I am fairly sure as I set my kickdowns to go straight from 6th to 3rd in map27 (2500 OSS in the last 3 cells being 6-5, 5-4 and 4-3 at 100.4% only) and the other day going up a large gradient at 110km/hr in manual mode 6th gear) the ute must have gone WOT under cruise control and dropped 6-3... That sealed the deal for me.

The other 50 tables are split between "D", "P", cruise control, hill climb, hill decent, extreme economy, race mode, towing mode and whatever other fruitful selections ZF and Ford chose to give us.

What controls this selections do not know, at release of the ZF ford told us that it worked in "counts" and the more you beat in the car the more counts added up (max of 199) and that shifting over to Perf added 100 counts instantly.

If you put your "matrix goggles" on you can see a bit of what's going on, the tables (from memory I don't have the laptop in front of me) 2,3,7,8,9 all have aggressive OSS numbers and the 5-6 shift is set stupid high like 6800 OSS or so) so we know that they will be linked to PERF mode, 27 was easy to work out with 8000 upshifts everywhere and no 2-1 (although it was called 6-5 until Eric fixed it and some of the of those later tables 34-37 exhibit signs of a limp mode (no there not the trans fault reference I tried all that lol )

But if we can log the selection that will sort that out

Daniel

Advanced Tuner
    Shift table 5 does normal cruising in D. My FG seemed to hang onto gears a bit too long for my liking so now it will cruise at around 1000rpm. But until we get the scanner alot of head scratching.
    So if someone has an SCT tune for the engine, are we able to flash the trans tune in without stuffing up the SCT box?

Advanced Tuner
    Also just bit more into on that pic i sent dan, there were a few variables between those runs. The blue line was externally gated gtx35 with very poor ext gate, running tce 2850rpm converter and that pull was during a dyno day so unsure of what ramp rate was used. The red line was internally gated bolt on pte6466 with internal gate. Same tce converter and ramp rate was my tuning ramp of 10kmh/sec, I didnt do any further tuning after that run as the spark booster and tune werent working together. Hence why the fuel curve is rough. Ive since fitted a 19psi actuator, an fg plenum, ID1300s and run a tach signal into the eboost. But been lazy with retune. Should go into the 500rwkw region next time out. But like Dan mentioned, the converter isnt locked at the start of the run
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    Also just bit more into on that pic i sent dan, there were a few variables between those runs. The blue line was externally gated gtx35 with very poor ext gate, running tce 2850rpm converter and that pull was during a dyno day so unsure of what ramp rate was used. The red line was internally gated bolt on pte6466 with internal gate. Same tce converter and ramp rate was my tuning ramp of 10kmh/sec, I didnt do any further tuning after that run as the spark booster and tune werent working together. Hence why the fuel curve is rough. Ive since fitted a 19psi actuator, an fg plenum, ID1300s and run a tach signal into the eboost. But been lazy with retune. Should go into the 500rwkw region next time out. But like Dan mentioned, the converter isnt locked at the start of the run
    Yep sorry bud I forgot to mention it was different turbo, and the quicker spooling 6466 is possibly part of the reason the car didn't go into lockup as well.

Here's an example of my car, less boost and less power but a lot more wheel torque, converter would flash stall to almost 4800 in 4th on the dyno. If you look at peak power rpms on the graph vs the OBD2 output to the mainline you can see the roadspeed lost though the converter

Daniel

Advanced Tuner
    From previous model experience when the TCC lock's up on the Dyno it can cause plate to burn out pretty quick, is this not the case with the ZF's?

It would be good in the scanner if there was a gear lock with TCC unlock function like the Gen3 LS1, but it may be a bit too much to ask seeing the 2.25 scanner isn't even out there yet!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
    Shiftmap 27 is also a good place to setup some limits so you never miss another shift ever again... or make one hahaha

So much you can do in the ZF software its rediculous
    Thank you I was thinking of setting up shiftmap 27 for the drags and this certainly confirms/helps. Looks like you could set it up as a safety net as well.

Brilliant Daniel

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant LS1 View Post
    From previous model experience when the TCC lock's up on the Dyno it can cause plate to burn out pretty quick, is this not the case with the ZF's?

It would be good in the scanner if there was a gear lock with TCC unlock function like the Gen3 LS1, but it may be a bit too much to ask seeing the 2.25 scanner isn't even out there yet!
    Certainly possible on high power cars, I killed a few lockup a in that twin turbo, this is why I suggest not power running from too low rpm until we get full control of the TCC set points

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    Thank you I was thinking of setting up shiftmap 27 for the drags and this certainly confirms/helps. Looks like you could set it up as a safety net as well.

Brilliant Daniel
    Certainly, that's how I've done it since I bought HPT, Just back calculate OSS x gear ratio per column and set it up... Remember this is going to be trans input speed assuming no clutch slippage in the trans and NOT engine rpm (if there is converter slip/unlocked it will be different)