Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZF disable kick down in sequential?

ZF disable kick down in sequential?

Hi guys,

Is there a way to disable the kick in sequential mode or an easy work around?

I've got some dyno time lined up for this weekend and I can see this being a problem.

Thanks

Why will it be a problem ?

I can start 4th gear pulls at 40km/h and honestly you wouldn't go any lower as thats already about 1200rpm
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Ok, I thought it was more sensitive than that. Maybe third is different.

Well 3rd will hold at 35ish iirc

You shouldn't have any issues, 60 is a good start speed anyway in 4th gear
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Advanced Tuner
    Jet, have you or someone played with your transmission as mine will kick down at much higher speeds than you have quoted. I have asked the same question on the ZF 6HP26 forum.

Advanced Tuner
    I know the only time I've had a 6HP26 on my dyno years ago I has the constant problem of it kicking back & had to try & ease the power on low down & then feed it on as it climbed, but obviously not ideal to replicate every time & still did kick back quite easy if you fed it on too quick.

I was hoping there was going to be some commands added in the new scanner when it comes out!

Did some road testing last night. Appears to be more about the rate that you roll it on, not so much the rpm. If you hit the kick down notch it kicks back regardless (at least down low).

Advanced Tuner
    It can be changed as I have seen Territory dyno runs starting from about 60kph or ~2500rpm in 3rd gear. Mine will not do full throttle without kicking down. If only I knew what the shift patterns for manual mode were. Trouble is that if you make changes then it takes a long time for it to get "settled" enough to see what the final driving experience will be.

Advanced Tuner
    Look at the main shift table, it is based on OSS, you can raise the downshift oss limit to something like 8000 for the 4>3 and 3>2, I also do it for the 2>1 shift at the drags to stop the car changing up to second while you are on the stall, there is also a max time at stall thresh that needs to be changed, from memory it was to protect against cooking the converter, as you would when you stall it up for after a few seconds the engine rpm would drop.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    Also, go and have a play with the throttle pedal, you can feel the kick down detent, FG's are harder to feel I'm told. But you can feel it on b series. Use your hand for the first time. This can help you stop the downshift on the dyno aswell. The guy that owned the dyno showed me that little trick, load the car up, start the ramp, push the pedal down to just on the detent, but no further, once you hit 3000rpm you can pretty much floor it.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Well yeh sorry i made the assumptions you all knew you dont press past the detent......
    As T/B is fully open at the detent

What 45 said basically but try it on the street to get the knack of it, all turbo series have the same detent "feel" its like a brick so not that hard to work out

Rolling it on is a key thing sometimes and remember tailshafts have been lost on the dyno so play carefully when around start speed

Advanced Tuner
    LOL just dont hit the kick down switch at the bottom 2mm of pedal travel and it wont kick down.. push the pedal with the car turned off and you will feel it..

Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    LOL just dont hit the kick down switch at the bottom 2mm of pedal travel and it wont kick down.. push the pedal with the car turned off and you will feel it..
    That particular car doesn't have a notch. It's an ex cop car so it probably wore out

I've found they will still kick back under certain conditions with out hitting the kick down notch.

Advanced Tuner
    ive dynoed thousands of them and not one of them has ever kicked back with out hitting the kick down switch..

Yeh i kind of have to agree with dale here, the only time is if u hit it... With enough practice the kickdown notch ( detent ) is a fair solid and ull learn to lean on it without going past, even on the street u can load up any gear without kickdown even in its lowest selectable rpm.... If it goes up a gear u can hold it

True story is true

Advanced Tuner
    Less posting in here, more sorting out Dominators car thanks Dale

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    Less posting in here, more sorting out Dominators car thanks Dale
    shhhhh

Advanced Tuner
    Oh one of those inside joke things.

Advanced Tuner
    nah not really,

im going to Oklahoma on the 18th to convert Dominator from street outlaws car over to efi as well as 3 others in the next few months.

Farmtruck 4TW hahahaha

No disrespect dale but wouldnt they have a bunch of tech heads over there that could do that in their sleep ?

So why you ?