Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will not read ECM, but will read TCM

Tuner in Training

Will not read ECM, but will read TCM

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
    Ok, so I downloaded the beta version, and I still can't get it to read. I get to where it tells me to Turn ignition Off. Wait 3 seconds, Turn ignition on. And nothing happens, then it says Ignition Cycle: Timed Out. What's going on?

Update: Ok, I got the TCM to read. When I tell it to not read the ecm and only read the tcm, instead of prompting me to turn ignition off and on in the same window, it pops up a new window with the prompts and then tell me to click"OK" when I have cycled the ignition, and when I click, "OK", it reads the TCM with no issues. It does not do this when trying to read the ECM.

Different controllers have different initialization requirements.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    So how do I get the ECM to read?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Different controllers have different initialization requirements.
    so its the same for a 2004 4.7 auto ram? I have to read the tcm apart? Cause i readed the ecm with no problem but when i look the vcm its nothing about transmision

If the ECM isn't reading, you need to contact support so we can look at the issue.

Tuner in Training
    Emailed support yesterday and attached a link to a video I took of the issue. I figured it would be easier understood by showing the problem, rather than just describing it.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I'm not getting a lick of help from support. The guy is trying to tell me I have a wiring problem. I have an SCT tuner that works just fine on the truck and recognizes when the ignition cycle has been done. The HP Tuners only recognizes the TCM. The scanner will monitor everything just fine, and HP Tuners recognizes when the key is on and off based on the fact it can even "gather information". What am I missing? I've included a video link below to what I am seeing when I try to read the ECM, and then I show the difference in when I read the TCM. I get a pop-up to click "OK" for the TCM. I get nothing for the ECM. I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you in advance.

http://youtu.be/iRwW7ECDFx8?list=UUD...CtWqOP5AmNYiSg

The only thing I noticed is your computer seems extremely slow. What's its specs?

The timing may be out of range.

Tuner in Training
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.261
    CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
    Available Memory: 351 MB

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by szemtrs View Post
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.261
    CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
    Available Memory: 351 MB
    That RAM might be your problem. I'm surprised your computer will even boot on 300 MB.

Is that what's installed, or just what's available?

Tuner
    I'm jealous you can read your tcm

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    That RAM might be your problem. I'm surprised your computer will even boot on 300 MB.

Is that what's installed, or just what's available?
    My computer has 1GB RAM. I don't understand why HP Tuners is picking up such a small amount. I don't have anything running on my computer when I'm trying to tune. I've never had a problem tuning on anything in the past. This is the first issue I've ever had.
    And it makes no since why the TCM reads and ECM doesn't.

Tuner in Training
    Can someone help me understand why the Scanner would work and show the parameters in real time, but when trying to read the ECM, it times out? What am I missing? It's obviously capable of transmitting data over the data link used. Also, why does the TCM prompt you to click "OK" when the ignition cycle has been done, and the ECM does not?

Tuner in Training
    Ok, now I've verified that not only will the SCT programmer work, the a Diablosport InTune will also work. Why won't HP Tuners work? It times out on the PCM and reads on the TCM. What is getting missed?

Senior Tuner
    I still feel your low available RAM might be contributing to the issue. 351 MB available is what HP Tuners has to work with after Windows and the other background processes use what they need. Just because the TCM reads does not mean the PCM will read. As Keith stated, the ECM and TCM use two separate processors contained in one "box" that use completely different read and write routines so you can't really compare one with the other. The fact that the handhelds work also leads me back to your computer. The handhelds don't work in a pass through capacity with a PC for flashing like HPT does.

I would borrow another laptop or computer to try it with. You can load the software and sync the cable on another PC without license issues.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    I still feel your low available RAM might be contributing to the issue. 351 MB available is what HP Tuners has to work with after Windows and the other background processes use what they need. Just because the TCM reads does not mean the PCM will read. As Keith stated, the ECM and TCM use two separate processors contained in one "box" that use completely different read and write routines so you can't really compare one with the other. The fact that the handhelds work also leads me back to your computer. The handhelds don't work in a pass through capacity with a PC for flashing like HPT does.

I would borrow another laptop or computer to try it with. You can load the software and sync the cable on another PC without license issues.
    So does hooking up to a GM require less RAM than hooking up to a MOPAR?

Senior Tuner
    So does hooking up to a GM require less RAM than hooking up to a MOPAR?
    Probably. That would be a question for the programmers, but every manufacture's ECU uses different processors and boot loader/read/write routines. You really can't compare one against the other. Case in point, the key cycle is not required for GM, but Ford and Dodge both have a key cycle requirement and I think the reason for those is different between them.

There is way more happening than most of us know about.

You'll need to contact support with a debug.dat, vcm suite info log, etc.. so we can look at the issue.

Some of these dodge issues are very difficult to trouble shoot remotely.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    You'll need to contact support with a debug.dat, vcm suite info log, etc.. so we can look at the issue.

Some of these dodge issues are very difficult to trouble shoot remotely.
    I've done that, and the 2 replys I've gotten were that I have a wiring problem, or the SCT tuner messed something up. Which I know both are not the case.

Potential Tuner
    I've done that, and the 2 replys I've gotten were that I have a wiring problem, or the SCT tuner messed something up. Which I know both are not the case.
    i have the same problem, i cant get it to read. it says make sure its on RUN but it is KOEO. i am able to scan the vehicle. Its on a Chrysler 300 SRT8