Thread: 4L65E need help calming down the 1-2 shift. Snaps neck even when driving super slow

Tuner in Training

4L65E need help calming down the 1-2 shift. Snaps neck even when driving super slow

I have a LS2 swap with the stock 4l65E from a 2005 GTO in my 58 Nomad. Trying to get it tuned for normal daily driving. Right now it shifts way too hard from 1-2 when driving slow/normal. Is there an easy way to soften up the 1-2 shift?
    (I am trying to get my transmission shifting fine tuned) any and all help suggestions appreciated.
    Current tune attached..................................Thanks, Brad.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 58 Nomad View Post
    I have a LS2 swap with the stock 4l65E from a 2005 GTO in my 58 Nomad. Trying to get it tuned for normal daily driving. Right now it shifts way too hard from 1-2 when driving slow/normal. Is there an easy way to soften up the 1-2 shift?
    (I am trying to get my transmission shifting fine tuned) any and all help suggestions appreciated.
    Current tune attached..................................Thanks, Brad.
    tire size (height)?

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Everything in the trans cal that would effect shift firmness is completely stock. You had a few torque management tables zeroed that I don't zero completely and one table maxed out that I usually leave stock. Not sure if this will fix it but try this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    tire size (height)?

Ed M
    28.31" tire height

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Everything in the trans cal that would effect shift firmness is completely stock. You had a few torque management tables zeroed that I don't zero completely and one table maxed out that I usually leave stock. Not sure if this will fix it but try this.
    Thanks so much I will try this ASAP

Brad

That's the bad thing about buying an engine/transmission from a donor or junkyard. You do not know if they had any transmission work done or if a shift kit was added.

I have tuned a a couple of LS2/4l65e LS swap combos and the trannys had shift kits on them already.

What you can do is play with the shift times and base shift pressure and see if that solves your problem.
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Add shift time to the 1-2 shift in the range that it's too abrupt.
    2009 CTS-V Sedan
    Lingenfelter 650 kit, ID850, AR 1.875" Headers, SW 3" Exhaust, Hptuners pro

Try adding back the shift torque reduction table...its now zero'd, should soften shit a bit. Can always reduce it to get less if too soft.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I tried the tune you sent me today and there was no change. If anything it bangs harder now on the shift from 1st to second. All other shifts are nice and smooth. 1-2 is terrible hard and feels terrible. I wish I could figure out how to just calm down the harshness of the 1-2 shift.

Thanks for the help 2xLS1

Tuner in Training
    I am new to this and dont know how to ad shift time. Can you explain please sir?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by b2009v View Post
    please explain. I dont know how to do this

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Try adding back the shift torque reduction table...its now zero'd, should soften shit a bit. Can always reduce it to get less if too soft.

Ed M
    I need instructions please Sir. New to this and don't wanna screw it up.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERZONE View Post
    That's the bad thing about buying an engine/transmission from a donor or junkyard. You do not know if they had any transmission work done or if a shift kit was added.

I have tuned a a couple of LS2/4l65e LS swap combos and the trannys had shift kits on them already.

What you can do is play with the shift times and base shift pressure and see if that solves your problem.
    I am new to this and dont know how to ad shift time. Can you explain please sir?

Tuner in Training
    Goto Transmission/shift properties/shift time

It adds time in seconds to the shift based on engine torque, higher torque shorter desired shift time, lower torque you add more shift time.

I've had to add allot of shift time with a transgo shift kit to get the 1-2 shift to stop snapping.

Try adding .5 seconds to the base shift time in the lower toque shift range and see how it feels afterwards. Once you see how it works you can tailor the shift times to suit your tastes.
    Last edited by b2009v; 02-19-2015 at 05:27 PM.
    2009 CTS-V Sedan
    Lingenfelter 650 kit, ID850, AR 1.875" Headers, SW 3" Exhaust, Hptuners pro

Tuner in Training
    Goto Transmission/shift properties/shift time

It adds time in seconds to the shift based on engine torque, higher torque shorter desired shift time, lower torque you add more shift time.

I've had to add allot of shift time with a transgo shift kit to get the 1-2 shift to stop snapping.

Try adding .5 seconds to the base shift time in the lower toque shift range and see how it feels afterwards. Once you see how it works you can tailor the shift times to suit your tastes.
    Thanks so much. I will play with this tomorrow and see if I can get her shifting properly!
    Thanks again,
    Brad

Senior Tuner
    You would be better off going to a transmission shop that is very familiar with installing shift kits and have them inspect the valve body for modifications and have them undo them. Again, your shift times and line pressures are stock. Something internal in the transmission is causing the harsh shifts, not the tune. The stock shift times are big enough and shouldn't need to be increased.

I need instructions please Sir. New to this and don't wanna screw it up.
    Here you go...

torque reduction.jpg

You can add/remove timing to your liking. Your tune right now has 0 timing being pulled during shifts. Hope it helps.

Ed M

[email protected]

I swapped in a 5.3 HO into my GMC Canyon with the 4L65e. I burned 3rd or 4th gear clutches 70k later at 170k. I had the tranny "beefed" up by a local 4L60 veteran. I already had the vette servo, but no matter what I do the 1-2 is too much for me...not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it firmed up on it's own about 6 months after rebuild. I tamed it a little by changing shift pressure to 1 all the way to the 250 torque requested range for part throttle driving, but it's still a good kick even with 2800 stall. I didn't play with extending shift time. I will give that a try. I'm thinking firm kick because too much pressure, but extending shift time would probably help as well. 50% throttle and a shift at 4k or above barks my 32" tires which is nice but it needs to be easy when I want to take it easy lol. Got 50k on the rebuild and still running strong. I'm going over tune trying to tame it since I'm putting it on the market.