Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neon SRT-4 Can read tune out of PCM, but can't write. Erase Failed

Potential Tuner

I have the fix!!

Okay well after a bunch of thought, I have decided to share the fix with you all. I am surprised after so many years nobody else figured it out.

I shared it with member "Evolutionoftime25" first on his assurance he would keep it quiet so I could spend the day thinking of a way to make money from this fix; since I program and sell used PCMs for a living. However, in the end, I just decided to share it with you all rather than having you send me your PCM for me to open and modify.

The problem is not with any HPTuner device. Nor is it a problem with the PCM; neither software nor hardware. Yes, that is correct, it is neither a hardware or software issue with the PCM.

The problem is actually with the wiring of the cars. You can see that there should be two switched power wires coming from the ignition switch. One on Pin 11 and one on Pin 12 as seen in the picture below for a 2004 SRT4.
    2004_SRT4_pcm_plug2.jpg

However, here is a picture of a 2004 SRT4 PCM Plug. Forum user Evolutionoftime25 was kind enough to verify my fix and to send me this picture. We can see the Dark Blue with red stripe wire is present in Cavity/Pin 11, but there is nothing in Cavity 12.
    2004_SRT4_pcm_plug1.jpg

This missing wire is why the early 2004 PCMs across the entire Chrysler lineup fail to write. I speculate some bean counter must have decided that it was safe to remove this seemingly redundant wire to save some money. Perhaps 2 feet of wire multiplied by 1 million vehicles, is 2 million feet of wire and a lot of money for that copper. This was a giant error by someone! Chrysler couldn't even flash their own updates! Their fix was to make all of their later PCMs work with the single "key on" wire in pin 11, rather than change out a million wiring harnesses to include the missing wire in Pin/cavity 12. Replacing PCMs was the cheaper option.

If you add this wire and join it with the wire in Pin/cavity 11, your problems will be solved. For those of you that flash on the benchtop, as I do, add this wire to your harness too. You can add the wire like I have demonstrated here:
    2004_SRT4_pcm_plug3.jpg

Yes, I know my repair was sloppy. It was a proof of concept repair picture and I am sure I could have made it nicer. It works, and that is the main point. Enjoy all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by myckee; 06-27-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Nice work. This will be helpful.

Interestingly that this issue doesn't exist with DiabloSport and SCT.
    Last edited by duster360; 06-27-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    oh man if this fixes mine ill be so happy, thanks for sharing your findings! I was just reading this exact thread yesterday dreading that i may have to buy a new pcm and deal with all that.

which of the 3 color coded connectors is the one to add a jumper? might be more obvious if it wasnt late for me, and was looking at them. Ill be doing this first thing in the morning and reporting back.
    *edit just realized its the far left one in the 3rd pic

*update
    Just added the wire and flashed successfully!! thank you so much for the help and finding this. crazy it took almost 20 years for this to be found. I wonder how many people have spent money on PCMs when they didnt need too.
    Last edited by drdollas; 07-13-2022 at 12:55 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by drdollas View Post
    oh man if this fixes mine ill be so happy, thanks for sharing your findings! I was just reading this exact thread yesterday dreading that i may have to buy a new pcm and deal with all that.

which of the 3 color coded connectors is the one to add a jumper? might be more obvious if it wasnt late for me, and was looking at them. Ill be doing this first thing in the morning and reporting back.
    *edit just realized its the far left one in the 3rd pic

*update
    Just added the wire and flashed successfully!! thank you so much for the help and finding this. crazy it took almost 20 years for this to be found. I wonder how many people have spent money on PCMs when they didnt need too.
    Awesome! I am happy I could help you guys!

Potential Tuner
    @myckee, what is the build date on your srt4?

Potential Tuner
    I don't have one actually. I just program PCMs for a living. The pictures came from user Evolutionoftime25. I helped him be able to program his PCM with the fix.

Tuner in Training
    @myckee I am experiencing the same problem with a JTEC+ PCM on a 99 Dakota RT. Do you think this controller shares the same problem?

Potential Tuner
    came back to this post as i ran into the same issue on a different car, 03 srt4 with mopar stage 1 pcm. had same error trying to flash as the 04 i tuned. sure enough, adding that same wire to the pcm fixed the problem. figured id add that in case someone else runs into the same issue on a stage 1 car etc. not sure if the same issue applies on other mopar staged pcms.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by drdollas View Post
    came back to this post as i ran into the same issue on a different car, 03 srt4 with mopar stage 1 pcm. had same error trying to flash as the 04 i tuned. sure enough, adding that same wire to the pcm fixed the problem. figured id add that in case someone else runs into the same issue on a stage 1 car etc. not sure if the same issue applies on other mopar staged pcms.
    In this case your problem is the same. The Stage 1 PCM for the 2003 SRT4 required the use of 2004 PCM hardware along with the bigger injectors which came stock in 2004 and 2005. So in reality, your problem is exactly the same. But thanks for pointing it out in case some others face the same problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tylex View Post
    Same here. Pt Cruiser Gt with NGC3. I can read the pcm but it stops during erasing when I want to write the pcm. Funny thing is that I can write the pcm with my diablo tuner! So the boot loader should be okay!? Do I miss something? Please help!
    hey men did you find the issue im having trouble to Read one pt crusier just like yours any tips ? or you have the stock file that you can share i need the automatic trans setup i can only find from manual neons
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico