Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 Hemi pin-out

Advanced Tuner

5.7 Hemi pin-out

Gents,

I want to make an offline programming harness, anybody has a 03-05 5.7 Hemi PCM pin out as the ones I have used the CAN bus won't get going.

Basically OBD connector soldered to PCM connector for bench programming.
    Last edited by ccrp; 03-09-2015 at 03:00 PM.

These are on the left connector:

9 - GND (required only if PCM is from auto car)
    11 - IGNV
    12 - IGNV (required only if PCM is from auto car)
    18 - GND
    25 - SCI RX ENG B (OBD2 connector pin #12)
    26 - SCI RX TCM B (OBD2 connector pin #9) (required only if PCM is from auto car)
    29 - Batt +12V
    34 - CAN+
    35 - CAN-
    36 - SCI TX ENG B (OBD2 connector pin #7)
    37 - SCI TX TCM B (OBD2 connector pin #15) (required only if PCM is from auto car)
    38 - VPW (J1850) (OBD2 connector pin #2)
    Last edited by Engineer@HPT; 03-09-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks you so much. So besides ground and 12V I only need those 4 CAN bus connections to the OBD connector. Do i need to connect pin 38 as well or just leave alone?

Quote Originally Posted by ccrp View Post
    thanks you so much. So besides ground and 12V I only need those 4 CAN bus connections to the OBD connector. Do i need to connect pin 38 as well or just leave alone?
    You can try without 38 but I have them all connected.

Advanced Tuner
    OK, pin 38 connected yes but to where or what?

I don't have the J1850 anymore (or how can I simulate it?), same for the CAN+/-, on my other bench harnesses I do not use them/have them anymore but that is with GM and Ford harnesses. I do have a full car wiring harness though where I can cut out what is needed.

38 goes to OBD2 pin #2.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks i'll give it a shot tomorrow! Are there any Shop manuals for Mop's like the ones from Helm Inc. for Ford or Chevy? My local Mercedes dealers hates it when I ask him for wiring diagrams and is not very supportive....

Advanced Tuner
    I tried it that way, pin38 does not exist on my P1 connector anyway.

Need pin34 and 35 go somewhere else too?

however on two 2005 Hemi PCM i can not get it working with error message "can not detect protocol", on a later 08 it works through
    Last edited by ccrp; 03-10-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrp View Post
    I tried it that way, pin38 does not exist on my P1 connector anyway.

Need pin34 and 35 go somewhere else too?

however on two 2005 Hemi PCM i can not get it working with error message "can not detect protocol", on a later 08 it works through

Yes, you need 34 and 35. 34 connects to OBD2 pin 6 and 35 connects to 14.

For shop manuals, you can use http://www.techauthority.com. It's not free but you can get a short term subscription and print out everything you need.

Advanced Tuner
    there is one small issue with that, my OBD connector which I have cut off the original 2005 car wiring harness doesn`'t have any Pins in 6 or 14 !

i am going to insert some, lets see
    Last edited by ccrp; 03-10-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Ok guys got a 2012 5.7 hemi I'm doing standalone but I cannot get witech hp tuners or any generic scan tool to communicate. Its still looking for tip m. I have my can c in 6 and 14 also tried 1 and 13 but still no communication. Does it need diagnostic can c to communicate

Tuner in Training
    Hello, I too have an 06 5.7 hemi and I m trying to make a bench flash cable. I have used the pin outs from this thread as well as from in the service manual. I cannot get my HP Tuner, Snap On Passthru Pro 3, nor my Autel scanner to connect to the PCM.

What do I need to get this to work?

Advanced Tuner
    Guys if you need pin outs for dodge vehicles check this mopar connector repair site:

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that link. I will save that! However, I have used basically the same info from the Service manual as well as this thread, but I still can't get it to work.

I found another site which says the CAN circuit needs to be terminated and running 120 OHMS resistance. Does anyone know about this? Has anyone successfully created their own bench cable for flashing?

Tuner in Training
    Well I am pretty sure it is the lack of 120 OHM termination that is not allowing access to the CAN BUS. I have no problems bench flashing 06 and above CAN BUS PT Cruiser PCMs using this harness I made, but it will not read the LX PCM at all. When I check the OHMS of the PT Cruiser PCM, I do indeed get ~125 OHMS across CAN + and CAN -. However I get nothing when I read the ohms of the LX PCM. I will Get some resistors if the electronic shop is open tomorrow, otherwise I will have to bite the bullet and buy a BENCHFORCE box to get the needed CAN termination ohms. That is where I learned the info about the CAN BUS not being active without having the 120 Ohm termination somewhere in the line. In the car it must come from the TIPM or some other module on the circuit.

From the Benchforce FAQ
    What is CAN termination? Do I need that?

PowerBlock II, PowerBlock III, and PowerBlock IV have switchable CAN termination built in.

The controllers in many mid-2000 and newer vehicles communicate on a Controller Area Network (CAN). In order to know which devices are the ends of the CAN bus, 120Ω termination resistors are used. In many cases, the engine control module contains a termination resistor. When the termination resistors are not present, no communication will occur on the bus.

Note: If you are programming a BCM, TCM, or any other controllers lacking CAN termination, they may not communicate.

Tuner in Training
    Okay so I finally got it to work!! The good thing is that I didn't have to spend a fortune do it. All that is required is to connect the CAN + and the CAN - with a 120 Ohm resistor. Now I can fully bench flash the pcm. I have used my j2534 pass thru to flash several PCMs this morning. I also verified with my Autel scanner. Next I tried my HP Tuners and it is working as well.

Potential Tuner

New and lost

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Okay so I finally got it to work!! The good thing is that I didn't have to spend a fortune do it. All that is required is to connect the CAN + and the CAN - with a 120 Ohm resistor. Now I can fully bench flash the pcm. I have used my j2534 pass thru to flash several PCMs this morning. I also verified with my Autel scanner. Next I tried my HP Tuners and it is working as well.
    Hello all new to hp forums.... I am trying to build a bench harness myself and am having an issue with the Ignition cycle as its not seeing me switch ignition off for 3 seconds anyone able to help I followed the diagrams form the link above

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOKUWL View Post
    Hello all new to hp forums.... I am trying to build a bench harness myself and am having an issue with the Ignition cycle as its not seeing me switch ignition off for 3 seconds anyone able to help I followed the diagrams form the link above
    pins 11 and 12 are the switched (key) and get connected to the power supply (+) by way of a switch. When power is connected by the switch, that is the "key on" position and conversely when the switch is off, that is the 'key off" position.

Advanced Tuner
    Found another source showing PCM connections for bench read/write.
    http://support.labofspeed.ru/index.p...ment/116/93317

Also found a pretty nifty PDF. Looks like a worksheet for the operation/diagnosing of controllers.
    http://perception.fcaperformanceinst...84/0121716.pdf
    Last edited by Homer; 02-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Found another source showing PCM connections for bench read/write.
    http://support.labofspeed.ru/index.p...ment/116/93317

Also found a pretty nifty PDF. Looks like a worksheet for the operation/diagnosing of controllers.
    http://perception.fcaperformanceinst...84/0121716.pdf
    Thanks for the 2nd link. Very handy!