Thread: Looking for Faster Tap Shift on the G8 GT

Looking for Faster Tap Shift on the G8 GT

As many of us know the TUTD is very obviously more delayed on the G8's than the corvettes. There have been a few threads about this before, but I'd like to condense some of this information and draw some conclusions.

First, let me be very clear I realize the 6l80 is not a double clutch box, but it is a clutch to clutch transmission and it can be made better through software. A6 Corvettes shift with much less delay and MY2012 and later are supposed to be even better.

Here are some ideas

1. Wire the TUTD directly into the G8 TCM.

2. Flash the G8 TCM with software from a newer corvette.

3. Have an engineer at HP tuners look at the code and write a fix, if possible. (This would certainly give an edge to hp tuners over competition)
    Last edited by VodeAn; 03-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.

The 2008 and 2009.0 G8 GT uses an E38 OS12624402 ECM and a T43 TCM, what other model year vehicles use this TCM? This would give a rough idea of what other TCM OS's are compatible.
    Does the VIN need to match between the two controllers? Anything else?

FYI The TCM can be flashed separately from the ECM
    1. Pull TCM fuse & read entire (call this baseline_ecmonly.hpt), re-insert the fuse when done
    2. Write entire with desired TCM software (this will also flash the ECM), Pull tcm fuse
    3. Write entire with baseline_ecmonly.hpt, re-insert the fuse when done

This process is cumbersome and AFAIK you have to be careful not to flash the ECM with an incompatible OS.

Really hoping for feedback here, I feel as though there has to be a solution to this problem.
    Last edited by VodeAn; 03-11-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VodeAn View Post
    The 2008 and 2009.0 G8 GT uses an E38 OS12624402 ECM and a T43 TCM, what other model year vehicles use this TCM? This would give a rough idea of what other TCM OS's are compatible.
    Does the VIN need to match between the two controllers? Anything else?

FYI The TCM can be flashed separately from the ECM
    1. Pull TCM fuse & read entire (call this baseline_ecmonly.hpt), re-insert the fuse when done
    2. Write entire with desired TCM software (this will also flash the ECM), Pull tcm fuse
    3. Write entire with baseline_ecmonly.hpt, re-insert the fuse when done

This process is cumbersome and AFAIK you have to be careful not to flash the ECM with an incompatible OS.

Really hoping for feedback here, I feel as though there has to be a solution to this problem.

Did you ever find out how to get quicker shifts?