Thread: Tuner Lock

Tuner

Tuner Lock

I'm trying to figure out if I can do this or not.. under calibration details it say: ECM Lock State: Unable to Lock
    I had this option when I first started tuning, but it seems I can't do it now.. any insight on how to correct? Most shit I wouldn't care about, but after the other tuner read one of the only 3 local cars tuned by me, he used what I had and miraculously gained 20hp on the dyno. I was fine with that, until he claimed it as his own and said he was better... at that point, I decided to lock my tunes. And, I'm not giving away my newer innovations, so this needs to be done, or I won't tune anymore Lol. Ecm is E69 08-10 Cobalt SS I didn't really care until he threw that shit in my face since the group benefited, but ya.. that was it!

Do I have to flash to stock, then try writing entire and lock to overcome this?
    Thanks in advance.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bosch pcms cannot be tunerlocked using our software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Well fuck....

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwolf View Post
    Well fuck....
    LOL, I feel your pain Bro. I have been in your situation before.
    I started turning away customers if their cars have a forced induction engine and the PCM can't be tunerlocked. I prefer not doing the tuning than getting my work copied by some fool.

Tunerlock is a must for the people making a living from tuning.
    10 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Bosch pcms cannot be tunerlocked using our software.
    Any post where you explain how to set the tuner lock and wich car works also ?

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicperformance View Post
    Any post where you explain how to set the tuner lock and wich car works also ?

Thanks
    Works on P01, P59, E38, P04 and I believe P05 and a few other GM's off the top of my head. The settings are found under the Tune details window.

Potential Tuner
    Will the Tuner lock function work on GPEC2A, ECM, 2018+ Dodge?

Tuner in Training
    Works on P01, P59, E38, P04 and I believe P05 and a few other GM's off the top of my head. The settings are found under the Tune details window.
    If I understand correctly, you can essentially lock any .hpt file to no view/edit(slave restriction), but in theory they could read it out after and still get the file assuming its not a P01, p59, etc?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    If I understand correctly, you can essentially lock any .hpt file to no view/edit(slave restriction), but in theory they could read it out after and still get the file assuming its not a P01, p59, etc?
    Correct.

Tuner in Training
    Correct.
    What is the difference between locking via the "master/slave" functions of remote tuning and and the "tunerlock" in calibration details?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    What is the difference between locking via the "master/slave" functions of remote tuning and and the "tunerlock" in calibration details?
    One locks the file(slave) the other locks the ecm via modification of seed/key(tunerlock)

I don't know why but it always bothers me that some tuners lock tunes. What if the customer wants to go to a different tuner? Tuner goes out of business, or they own HPT and just want to change some things for driveability? It's hard for me to understand "protect your work" when our work is based off of the OEM's work. I've adjusted cars tuned by others. I don't copy a thing from them. Just fix or adjust what the customer wants and move on.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    I don't know why but it always bothers me that some tuners lock tunes. What if the customer wants to go to a different tuner? Tuner goes out of business, or they own HPT and just want to change some things for driveability? It's hard for me to understand "protect your work" when our work is based off of the OEM's work. I've adjusted cars tuned by others. I don't copy a thing from them. Just fix or adjust what the customer wants and move on.
    tuners lock files to trap customers. these tuners arent worth your time. ive received dozens of unlocked tunes from top tuners just by asking them. locking a tune is like adjusting the equalizer and then removing the knobs.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Its an ongoing fight that will likely never end. Keep in mind the oem's tunerlock their work technically

We are the company that just knows how to crack it.

Its an ongoing fight that will likely never end. Keep in mind the oem's tunerlock their work technically

We are the company that just knows how to crack it.
    True. I think I just needed to vent as I had to turn someone away earlier this week as his PCM was locked (he had shipped his PCM off to be tuned prior). He was pretty bummed about it and I felt for him watching him crank over his engine excessively to start it and bucking away. Understand on the OEM's lock them and HPT cracks it. That's why I find it ironic that some advocate to lock tunes. Also, to be clear I'm not upset with HPT having this feature. I just wanted to vent LOL.