Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Lock

Tuner

Tuner Lock

I'm trying to figure out if I can do this or not.. under calibration details it say: ECM Lock State: Unable to Lock
    I had this option when I first started tuning, but it seems I can't do it now.. any insight on how to correct? Most shit I wouldn't care about, but after the other tuner read one of the only 3 local cars tuned by me, he used what I had and miraculously gained 20hp on the dyno. I was fine with that, until he claimed it as his own and said he was better... at that point, I decided to lock my tunes. And, I'm not giving away my newer innovations, so this needs to be done, or I won't tune anymore Lol. Ecm is E69 08-10 Cobalt SS I didn't really care until he threw that shit in my face since the group benefited, but ya.. that was it!

Do I have to flash to stock, then try writing entire and lock to overcome this?
    Thanks in advance.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bosch pcms cannot be tunerlocked using our software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Well fuck....

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwolf View Post
    Well fuck....
    LOL, I feel your pain Bro. I have been in your situation before.
    I started turning away customers if their cars have a forced induction engine and the PCM can't be tunerlocked. I prefer not doing the tuning than getting my work copied by some fool.

Tunerlock is a must for the people making a living from tuning.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Bosch pcms cannot be tunerlocked using our software.
    Any post where you explain how to set the tuner lock and wich car works also ?

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicperformance View Post
    Any post where you explain how to set the tuner lock and wich car works also ?

Thanks
    Works on P01, P59, E38, P04 and I believe P05 and a few other GM's off the top of my head. The settings are found under the Tune details window.

Potential Tuner
    Will the Tuner lock function work on GPEC2A, ECM, 2018+ Dodge?

Tuner in Training
    Works on P01, P59, E38, P04 and I believe P05 and a few other GM's off the top of my head. The settings are found under the Tune details window.
    If I understand correctly, you can essentially lock any .hpt file to no view/edit(slave restriction), but in theory they could read it out after and still get the file assuming its not a P01, p59, etc?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    If I understand correctly, you can essentially lock any .hpt file to no view/edit(slave restriction), but in theory they could read it out after and still get the file assuming its not a P01, p59, etc?
    Correct.

Tuner in Training
    Correct.
    What is the difference between locking via the "master/slave" functions of remote tuning and and the "tunerlock" in calibration details?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What is the difference between locking via the "master/slave" functions of remote tuning and and the "tunerlock" in calibration details?
    One locks the file(slave) the other locks the ecm via modification of seed/key(tunerlock)

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know why but it always bothers me that some tuners lock tunes. What if the customer wants to go to a different tuner? Tuner goes out of business, or they own HPT and just want to change some things for driveability? It's hard for me to understand "protect your work" when our work is based off of the OEM's work. I've adjusted cars tuned by others. I don't copy a thing from them. Just fix or adjust what the customer wants and move on.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    I don't know why but it always bothers me that some tuners lock tunes. What if the customer wants to go to a different tuner? Tuner goes out of business, or they own HPT and just want to change some things for driveability? It's hard for me to understand "protect your work" when our work is based off of the OEM's work. I've adjusted cars tuned by others. I don't copy a thing from them. Just fix or adjust what the customer wants and move on.
    tuners lock files to trap customers. these tuners arent worth your time. ive received dozens of unlocked tunes from top tuners just by asking them. locking a tune is like adjusting the equalizer and then removing the knobs.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Its an ongoing fight that will likely never end. Keep in mind the oem's tunerlock their work technically

We are the company that just knows how to crack it.

Advanced Tuner
    Its an ongoing fight that will likely never end. Keep in mind the oem's tunerlock their work technically

We are the company that just knows how to crack it.
    True. I think I just needed to vent as I had to turn someone away earlier this week as his PCM was locked (he had shipped his PCM off to be tuned prior). He was pretty bummed about it and I felt for him watching him crank over his engine excessively to start it and bucking away. Understand on the OEM's lock them and HPT cracks it. That's why I find it ironic that some advocate to lock tunes. Also, to be clear I'm not upset with HPT having this feature. I just wanted to vent LOL.

Tuner in Training
    I dont have a problem with it in general as it prevents some ones knowledge and experience from getting stolen, as well as a whole pile of possible repercussions. I come from the euro tuning market and locking tunes are the norm. Their ecus are often much more advanced so in theory you could copy it and easily sell as an off the shelf tune with rarely and issue.

However even they they prevent copy/read without some pretty good knowledge of getting into the ecus, you can pretty much always flash over them which I guess is the problem here. If a GM ecu is tuner locked for example you cant even write over it?

Tuner in Training
    I dont have a problem with it in general as it prevents some ones knowledge and experience from getting stolen, as well as a whole pile of possible repercussions. I come from the euro tuning market and locking tunes are the norm. Their ecus are often much more advanced so in theory you could copy it and easily sell as an off the shelf tune with rarely and issue.

However even they they prevent copy/read without some pretty good knowledge of getting into the ecus, you can pretty much always flash over them which I guess is the problem here. If a GM ecu is tuner locked for example you cant even write over it?
    Unless the tuner is starting from scratch, i dont event think they have the right to lock GM/FORD/DODGE/ETC.... engine/transmission programming. I would love to see it in court and see how it held up. modifying someone elses(GM/FORD/DODGE/ETC...) work and trying to prevent someone else from doing the same thing on their own property???? lol.....ridiculous.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeneralLee View Post
    Unless the tuner is starting from scratch, i dont event think they have the right to lock GM/FORD/DODGE/ETC.... engine/transmission programming. I would love to see it in court and see how it held up. modifying someone elses(GM/FORD/DODGE/ETC...) work and trying to prevent someone else from doing the same thing on their own property???? lol.....ridiculous.
    I mean GM/Ford/Dodge/Etc tried to prevent you from getting at their work, are you gonna take them to court? Im not sure why this is such a heated topic. On lots of newer cars you can get away with the same tune for many cars, as opposed to custom tuning each one. Seems alot of people think others are in the wrong for trying to protect their knowledge like it doesnt matter in this field. But look at it like mechanical labor, would you train someone and let them use your tools for free and/or knowing they are going to tune around and use it for their financial gain?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I mean GM/Ford/Dodge/Etc tried to prevent you from getting at their work, are you gonna take them to court? Im not sure why this is such a heated topic. On lots of newer cars you can get away with the same tune for many cars, as opposed to custom tuning each one. Seems alot of people think others are in the wrong for trying to protect their knowledge like it doesnt matter in this field. But look at it like mechanical labor, would you train someone and let them use your tools for free and/or knowing they are going to tune around and use it for their financial gain?
    Correct. Ultimately just don't buy their product if they lock the ecm and you don't want them to lock the ecm. If you aren't sure if your tuner locks the ecm ask them, if they lie to you thats one thing but if they are straight about it then all you can do is walk away and go with someone who doesn't lock it.

Tuner in Training
    I mean GM/Ford/Dodge/Etc tried to prevent you from getting at their work, are you gonna take them to court?: WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW! i shouldnt even go any further......i mean clearly the lawsuit would be HPTuners vs CAR company.......but that is obvious.

Im not sure why this is such a heated topic.: roflmao......because imagine you pay a guy to adjust your HVAC, he adjusts the settings and locks it. well you get a nice new PC, a couple TVS, an AIR Fryer, and now that 72 degrees that felt so good isnt quite enough to keep you comfortable. lets say for example, Tuner-X(aka your HVAC guy) ended up changing career paths and no longer has that number/email...well he locked that HVAC in such a way, you have to buy a new one or try to take it to the dealer and get it serviced. or maybe your tuner died, or maybe he doesnt offer lifetime changes and you changed tire sizes and now he wants another 200$ to change it. the OBVIOUS point is he is trying to copyright tweaking a FORD/GM/DODGE/WHOEVER software for profit.....i would love to see how that played out in court. {want a great example????? look at the raptor grille aftermarket.}

But look at it like mechanical labor,: so you are saying charge an hourly rate, fine.

would you train someone and let them use your tools for free: i dont know how they are training anyone? so you are saying they will tell me what parameters mean and how to know what to adjust and what to look for and so on......interesting. which tuners do this???? Ok so let me use their tools for free......so they are gonna buy and give me a tuning device??????? sweet!!!! again which tuners do this????????

knowing they are going to tune around and use it for their financial gain?: so they KNOW every single person will sell THEIR EXACT tune and make financial gain?????? wow are they spying on me? they got me wiretapped and cammed???? MAN if EVERYONE is selling tunes.....who is buying them????? what the literal F are you even saying?

On lots of newer cars you can get away with the same tune for many cars, as opposed to custom tuning each one.: this is only true for super generic tunes that make minimal gains and even then sometimes have issues based on location and vehicle strategy........so ya maybe need this introduction-that over there is a hole in the ground, and that thing you are talking out of is your A.