Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID 1000 injector data/rough idle when cold

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Rolls, I don't have tip in disabled, to be honest wouldn't know how to turn it off either but it's something I will look into.

EDIT: OK after having a look disabling tip in wasn't so hard after all. Will keep logging, I think my STFT issue could be the fuel pump so i'll change that this week and see how the logs go.
    Last edited by nfs; 12-19-2016 at 03:15 AM.

how did you disabled tip in? My tip in graph looks like its mapped incorrectly

Tuner in Training
    I'm on my phone so just telling you off the top of my head, but under spark there is two sections that enable tip in above a certain rpm and disable at a certain rpm, I swapped those rpm values around.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by YoloTuner View Post
    You lowered the high slope value in your injector scalings and its fixed your cold start? Did I read that right?
    This threw me off, but yes lowering my high slope by 5% fixed up my cold start issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nfs View Post
    This threw me off, but yes lowering my high slope by 5% fixed up my cold start issues.
    Cold start will be running off the high slope however 5% is a lot, you'd want to make sure your full load fuelling is still correct. Have you run it up with a wideband since?

Drive it for at least 80km, then show a histogram of cruise and idle LTFT, are they within ~5% ?

Advanced Tuner
    Getting good cold start and good cold take off when jabbing the accelerator from cold standing start is partly how I dial in my high slope. Once I get cold start working right, then I work on high load/boost with other tables that influence fueling leaving the high slope mostly alone. I start with a high number high slope (lean with hesitation) and slowly work down until cold take off has no hesitation.
    I think the guys who tune the high slope to reflect high load/boost are taking the wrong approach, and hence poor cold starts that tuners try to work around by increasing cold start fueling when cold start tables should not need to be touched. Remember that you are on the high slope on cold starts for most of our injectors.
    Last edited by turbotrana; 01-04-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    Getting good cold start and good cold take off when jabbing the accelerator from cold standing start is partly how I dial in my high slope. Once I get cold start working right, then I work on high load/boost with other tables that influence fueling leaving the high slope mostly alone. I start with a high number high slope (lean with hesitation) and slowly work down until cold take off has no hesitation.
    I think the guys who tune the high slope to reflect high load/boost are taking the wrong approach, and hence poor cold starts that tuners try to work around by increasing cold start fueling when cold start tables should not need to be touched. Remember that you are on the high slope on cold starts for most of our injectors.
    Today is one of those day I was glad I jumped on the forum for a quick look. Thanks for that little piece of information Turbotrana, I never new the high slope was used for cold start #backyardhacktunalife. Thanks mate.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    Today is one of those day I was glad I jumped on the forum for a quick look. Thanks for that little piece of information Turbotrana, I never new the high slope was used for cold start #backyardhacktunalife. Thanks mate.
    Remember if you have it completely ass about the O2 feedback will confuse you. I would disable O2 sensors while dialing in cold start then once you are happy enable them and confirm your trims are good over the course of at least 5+ cold starts and 80km+ of driving, any less and your LTFT will not be dialed in and it may look better or worse than the final product will.

A lot of tuners don't run the car for long enough let alone do even one cold start and think the trims look good, then you do 5 cold starts and find you have 30% fuel trims and it is swinging between 12:1 and 17:1 on cold start. Had this happen from a "reputable" workshop here in Adelaide.
    Last edited by rolls; 01-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    Mostly true but depends on injector breakpoint. The injector high slope will be used after the breakpoint mass of fuel is required. So the airmass at which this occurs will be breakpoint * AFR and this is what should be checked against the Cranking fuel Lambda table. You will need to work out the airmas for cranking from the SD tables.

More likely for e85 and less likely for 98 with large injectors (bigger than ID 1000s).

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Gents,

I have the ID1300s in mine and the cold start on mine is less than perfect. (only driven once or twice a month, permanently on E85) If I drove it more I probably would have spend a bit more time on in previously.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    I have asked HP for a hi,lo slope flag on the dataloging to make this a sinch, but you can also judge it by doing the calculation of ms of slope changeover. In my case slopes changed around 1.8ms and on cold start the injectors are open quite alot, for a few ms on immediate start then quickly tapers down. You can datalog injector ms now to see where you are at.

With my FG I can turn the key and just as it starts up I can put into gear and be off. No hesitation on the coldest of mornings. When I tune I focus on scaling the injectors so that lo/hi slope, injector offset match the fuel lambda in the fuel base table in the low load/driving areas. I get the drivability side done first by adjusting injector data and the hi load stuff by playing with SD tables/and or fuel base (even if hi load fuel base lamda does not match). Getting the hi slope to match hi load desired lambda is wrong IMO

Tuner
    Very interesting, thanks guys.. now that I have been playing a lot with the SD tables this makes a lot of sense!... my tunes start first crank on e85 but generally hesitate on the throttle for up to 20 seconds before moving off smoothly

Advanced Tuner
    Flags would be very handy!

Keep in mind injectors with large flow and a large breakpoint (e.g ID1300) are very different to injectors with moderate flow and low break points (ID1000's).

Also keep in mind that the pulsewidth you datalog does not include the deadtime adder so it's not a total pulsewidth. You need to add the deadtime to the logged value. This is important for breakpoint flagging and also for injector duty cycle calculations. For injectors like ID1000's that have quite a laggy deadtime you will find that not adding the destine will undershoot your IDC calc by 5+% above 6,000 rpm.