Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ** MPVI Firmware v118 *ANNOUNCEMENT* **

Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    It's been 68 days and counting since they've known about this.
    Even Microsoft patches its problems light years faster than this.

Unless there is something that makes this problem THAT difficult to solve, this really should have been fixed weeks ago. I don't know what higher priority there could be ahead of fixing a feature that paying customers paid EXTRA for that now doesn't work.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Unless there is something that makes this problem THAT difficult to solve, this really should have been fixed weeks ago. I don't know what higher priority there could be ahead of fixing a feature that paying customers paid EXTRA for that now doesn't work.
    There are numerous reasons I can think of, most of which are bad ones.

Some people are perfectionists and refuse to release work until it is quality checked up the ass [unlikely in this case].

Some people are procrastinators and just don't feel like dealing with it until sufficient time and complaints have built up.

Some people have ego problems and will purposely delay a release if ppl bitch about it, just out of spite.

Some people don't want to deal with it themselves because they're afraid to take on any sort of liability so they wait for their co-workers to do it, who of course are playing the same game, so nobody does it until the boss finds out and orders someone to do it.

Some people think there is no problem and that it's all part of a master plan so they'll ignore the complaints because "there is no problem".

Some people will start on the work fairly quickly but will take 30 piss breaks, check their twitter accounts and basically take 50x longer to do it than it should take because they don't feel a sense of urgency. This is usually a symptom of empathy deficit.

Some people take a long time because the work is hard and time-consuming.

Ockham's razor would suggest the problem hasn't been solved because they don't know how to solve the problem. HPT in Buffalo Grove is always looking for software engineers which would suggest they cannot attract good talent or cannot keep good talent. My experience with "support" has been unresponsive. I've asked three people at HPTunes about the Virtual Efficiency Table Editor and received one response, "I do not have any of this information." Very disappointing.

Isn't HPT based in Australia? I've always thought there are just a handful of people managing communication in the US ever since I have been using the software. I also typically receive timely response when I email support.

Something else to keep in mind is one of the biggest features of 2.25 is Ford and Chrysler support and adding two completely different makes/logic will definitely tax manpower.

Comparing HPT to Microsoft or any massive US company is pretty dumb, IMO. It's always been a small company serving a comparatively large user group. It sounds like some checking of expectations is in order.

Another thing you could do is buy into a different system. Who would you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by seevi View Post
    Ockham's razor would suggest the problem hasn't been solved because they don't know how to solve the problem. HPT in Buffalo Grove is always looking for software engineers which would suggest they cannot attract good talent or cannot keep good talent. My experience with "support" has been unresponsive. I've asked three people at HPTunes about the Virtual Efficiency Table Editor and received one response, "I do not have any of this information." Very disappointing.
    Yeah, there's really no telling.. it's possible they don't know how to fix it, but it's speculation by anyone that isn't at HPT. It's possible it's just not a priority. It's possible they're going to make the standalone logging better and double how long we can record.. no way to really tell until they tell us.

What were you asking them about the VVE stuff?

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Isn't HPT based in Australia? I've always thought there are just a handful of people managing communication in the US ever since I have been using the software. I also typically receive timely response when I email support.

Something else to keep in mind is one of the biggest features of 2.25 is Ford and Chrysler support and adding two completely different makes/logic will definitely tax manpower.

Comparing HPT to Microsoft or any massive US company is pretty dumb, IMO. It's always been a small company serving a comparatively large user group. It sounds like some checking of expectations is in order.

Another thing you could do is buy into a different system. Who would you go to?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post187400

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    My opinion (this is only my opinion) that although I really appreciate the work being done on 2.25 and the VE tables I do feel that work on that should have been and should still be stopped on 2.25 Beta and work should be switched to the standalone logging problem.. 2.25 is beta and is not open to the general public, 2.25 is not expected to be perfect and full functioning and is not fully supported yet.. Yes I do like it and I like the changes they are making with it.. Standalone logging though is an advertised function of the 2.24 and earlier versions.. This is the standard version currently out there and is fully supported.. So far it seems to only effect the canbus vehicles.. I can standalone log on older vpw gm vehicles utilizing pin 2 but I cannot tune newer Canbus systems using pins 6 and 14..

I have not yet submitted an actual email to support yet, they have answered on the forums about this issue and are well aware of this.. I know they are getting feedback here as to the importance of it to what appears to me a small handful of people compared to the number of units sold including myself.. To me it doesn't matter the amount of people left stranded with this, the feature is non-functional and should be corrected before the beta version gets any more work done.. Why make improvements on the next version if the current version is still broken??

Quote Originally Posted by tek1229 View Post
    My opinion (this is only my opinion) that although I really appreciate the work being done on 2.25 and the VE tables I do feel that work on that should have been and should still be stopped on 2.25 Beta and work should be switched to the standalone logging problem.. 2.25 is beta and is not open to the general public, 2.25 is not expected to be perfect and full functioning and is not fully supported yet.. Yes I do like it and I like the changes they are making with it.. Standalone logging though is an advertised function of the 2.24 and earlier versions.. This is the standard version currently out there and is fully supported.. So far it seems to only effect the canbus vehicles.. I can standalone log on older vpw gm vehicles utilizing pin 2 but I cannot tune newer Canbus systems using pins 6 and 14..

I have not yet submitted an actual email to support yet, they have answered on the forums about this issue and are well aware of this.. I know they are getting feedback here as to the importance of it to what appears to me a small handful of people compared to the number of units sold including myself.. To me it doesn't matter the amount of people left stranded with this, the feature is non-functional and should be corrected before the beta version gets any more work done.. Why make improvements on the next version if the current version is still broken??
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by jpb1972 View Post
    Good point!
    It's perfectly plausible that they can't figure out how to fix the problem but the fact remains... you can always just undo what you did and go back to a previous revision. And before anyone says you can't go backwards, yes you can because going backwards is the same thing as going forwards. You're "upgrading" to a new firmware revision, the only caveat being that the content is the same as 2 revisions ago. What's the harm in hitting the undo button for all the people who got screwed and then taking your time working on the next revision?

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Yeah, there's really no telling.. it's possible they don't know how to fix it, but it's speculation by anyone that isn't at HPT. It's possible it's just not a priority. It's possible they're going to make the standalone logging better and double how long we can record.. no way to really tell until they tell us.

What were you asking them about the VVE stuff?
    In the Virtual Efficiency Table Editor:

Camshaft Angles – Are these the angles that the intake and exhaust valves open, or is this the duration the valves are open?

Where can I get a definitions of the VE Modes and what these options mean?

And lastly, after the table has been corrected, are the new coefficients uploaded during the flash process?

Quote Originally Posted by RRRocketMan View Post
    It's perfectly plausible that they can't figure out how to fix the problem but the fact remains... you can always just undo what you did and go back to a previous revision. And before anyone says you can't go backwards, yes you can because going backwards is the same thing as going forwards. You're "upgrading" to a new firmware revision, the only caveat being that the content is the same as 2 revisions ago. What's the harm in hitting the undo button for all the people who got screwed and then taking your time working on the next revision?
    You would think that would be simple enough to do. And I would be ok with that if it meant my standalone logging feature would work. It almost seems ridiculous at this point that they have not come up with, at the very least, a temporary fix.

nice, thanks for the link.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRocketMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb1972 View Post
    You would think that would be simple enough to do. And I would be ok with that if it meant my standalone logging feature would work. It almost seems ridiculous at this point that they have not come up with, at the very least, a temporary fix.
    Going back then breaks all of the other things they had to add to make 2.25 work, such as the additional communication protocols that the update added. I'm guessing there are other things that have been added that they haven't talked about.

The amount of speculation and Monday morning quarterbacking on this forum is staggering.

I've had this software since 2006 and there is one thing I have learned, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we realize and they don't usually air much of it until its time. You just have to be patient.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by seevi View Post
    In the Virtual Efficiency Table Editor:

Camshaft Angles – Are these the angles that the intake and exhaust valves open, or is this the duration the valves are open?

Where can I get a definitions of the VE Modes and what these options mean?

And lastly, after the table has been corrected, are the new coefficients uploaded during the flash process?
    The camshaft angles are a direct reference to the possible camshaft positions contained in certain calibrations, usually representing lobe center line. The modes relate to the various modes for the intake and displacement of the engine and refer to the different mode labels on the coefficient tables.

The new coefficients are directly applied to your file once calculated. If you go to the appropriate table, you will see the button highlighted in red indicating a change has been made.

Most of this information is available in the the forum content already.
    Jaime

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    It sounds like some checking of expectations is in order.
    You pay more for the Pro version because it has additional features. Are you saying that it's unreasonable to have the expectation that those additional features will actually work?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 02statesman View Post
    You pay more for the Pro version because it has additional features. Are you saying that it's unreasonable to have the expectation that those additional features will actually work?
    They still work, for some applications.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    The camshaft angles are a direct reference to the possible camshaft positions contained in certain calibrations, usually representing lobe center line. The modes relate to the various modes for the intake and displacement of the engine and refer to the different mode labels on the coefficient tables.

The new coefficients are directly applied to your file once calculated. If you go to the appropriate table, you will see the button highlighted in red indicating a change has been made.

Most of this information is available in the the forum content already.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Going back then breaks all of the other things they had to add to make 2.25 work, such as the additional communication protocols that the update added. I'm guessing there are other things that have been added that they haven't talked about.

The amount of speculation and Monday morning quarterbacking on this forum is staggering.

I've had this software since 2006 and there is one thing I have learned, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we realize and they don't usually air much of it until its time. You just have to be patient.
    All this "speculation and Monday morning quarterbacking" would not occur if we were getting answers instead of crickets. I would be fine sticking with 2.24 with my stand alone working.

Quote Originally Posted by 02statesman View Post
    I see you are new here. Yes, I am saying that even though you paid additional money for the Pro cable, it is quite clear that HPT is in a state of transition with the software right now and it sucks that all the features don't work as expected on all cars, but this is the nature of the beast. I have used the Pro cable for at least 5 or 6 years and now I can't extract it's full potential. But my expectations are in line....do you cry about everything that goes wrong or doesn't work right, even if it is temporary? The software is updated every day, any of the updates could have it working and any of them could break it again or break something else.

For example, Beta 2138 prevented me from writing the TCM in my 2015 Silverado. I couldn't drive my truck all day. Finally I had the brilliant idea to install 2017 and it wrote the TCM just fine. I let support know and they apologized and fixed the next Beta. Shit happens.

If it is so important then why don't you fix it yourself? I assume that you aren't just complaining without a solution, right? Call HPT, ask them to send you the code, and rewrite it for us all. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Higgs Boson; 06-16-2015 at 11:23 AM.