Thread: Apply VIN from V6 PCM on V8 PCM?

Tuner

Apply VIN from V6 PCM on V8 PCM?

I found this message from Bill posted a few years ago:

You can only change the vin on a pcm where you have the year/model license for the vin in the pcm as well as the vin you are trying to change it to AND both would be a valid vin/os pair combination.
    I have a '99 S10 4.3 and was considering an LSx swap. The wiring harness I can have made would use the LSx V8 PCM. However, for inspection purposes, I require the original V6 VIN apply to the LSx V8 PCM.

Per Bill, I assume this is not possible because the VIN/OS would not match? Or am I misunderstanding?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Correct, you cannot change to an invalid vin/os pair.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I thought the new version allowed a VIN mismatch as long as you licensed the new VIN...

To the OP, I just write whatever operating system I want to use, then use other equipment to change the VIN in the PCM. As long as you use whatever file you wrote with HP Tuners and do write calibrations, it'll ignore the VIN mismatch that's programmed into the PCM. You just can't read the file back out.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I thought the new version allowed a VIN mismatch as long as you licensed the new VIN...
    The new version will allow you to license a pcm that already has a invalid vin/os pair, but you cannot FLASH in a vin that would create an invalid vin/os pair with our software. In fact 2.25 cannot do vin changes at all, and there's a good chance it never will because of questions like this one to be honest.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Some S10's use the same OS's as V8 trucks...so it may not be an invalid pair.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat