Thread: No power for the OBD II port?

No power for the OBD II port?

Okay, so I just received my copy of HPT 2.1.0. I installed it, and everything looks good. I installed both the drivers and everything. When I open the scanner, turn the key to the on position, I get an error message saying the OBD port has no power. I even waited 10sec and even longer. Well the power light is on in the little HPT box, and I verified it had power by plugging in my scan guage. So I know the port has power but it won't connect. I tried opening the editor and going to the license info and licking on the HPT logo. Nada! I setup the com port like it says to in the help instructions and nothing!

I went to my dad's truck (bone ass stock 04 Silvy) to see if mine was being difficult and I got the same message.

Anyone have any ideas? It shouldn't be this hard.

I really don't think this is a hardware issue, or an issue with my truck.
    Last edited by vanillagorilla; 03-14-2006 at 08:43 PM.
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

Advanced Tuner
    Does the cig lighter have power? If not check the fuse for it under the hood, the cig lighter and obd II port are on the same fuse, my mom has a fascination with dropping pennies into the cig lighter, and then wonders why her phone charger doesnt work. The only reason I catch this is when I go to scan the escalade, it doesnt have power to the port.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Senior Tuner
    The USB unit will power up from either the laptop or vehicle. However, it will not talk to the vehicle unless it sees over 9V on the OBDII port.
    Try plugging the MPVI into the vehicle by itself. No green light = no power.

-Ken
    Last edited by Casey; 03-14-2006 at 10:34 PM.

I get a green light when its just plugged into the OBD port.

I just installed it on my home PC and I didn't get that error, despite it not being hooked up to the truck. I got all my credit info to pull up too when I went into the editor. I think I installed the drivers wrong on my laptop.

Any tips on how I can sucessfully re-install everything?

Senior Tuner
    Plug the MPVI interface in, go to the control panel, device drivers, expand the USB section.
    The drivers should be on the CD.
    You can always download the latest drivers from here:
    http://www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT_MPVI_Drivers.zip

1) If FTDI A,B are seen and not HP Tuners MPVI Channel A, B, right click on FTDI A and uninstall. Do the same for FTDI B.
    2) Unplug the MPVI.
    3) Unzip the USB driver files (if you downloaded them).
    4) Plug the MPVI back in.
    5) This time when Windows finds a new device, manually select the drivers in in the unzipped folder or CD. When all is said and done, the USB device needs to report "HP Tuners MPVI Channel A" and "HP Tuners MPVI Channel B"

If windows never installed the drivers and you have an exclamation point on the USB devices, then do steps 3-5. These drivers will only work on Windows 98SE and up.

Worked like a charm.....Gracias!