Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: changing vss

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BOTDF View Post
    I won't share the code, CAN message IDs nor the transfer functions sorry. I spent far too much time figuring them out and determining how the strategy functions.
    Chris at HP tuners may be able to figure out a way of using the broadcasted OSS CAN data as the rear right and rear left wheel speeds internally. At least one of those will need to be injected into the CAN for everything to work.
    Why don't you sell it then?

Tuner in Training
    think im about to give up on sniper, just had one car and shit support so its cost me afew days stuffing around
    got to spend couple grand to get the software so i can do anything and i just cant justify it
    support for it is abit how u going so from now on ill tell the the customers to send the ecu to someone if they want it sorted
    and wait till hps can adjust speed output source before i touch them again,

ill just stock up on fg abs modules and wire them in to get speed into the fg ecu

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    ill just stock up on fg abs modules and wire them in to get speed into the fg ecu
    There is a bloke on the Barra Patrols page on fb that's working on a module that mimics the ABS unit in relation to speed signals.
    I know it's not the silver bullet to fix the programming problem, but at least you won't have to try and hide an ABS unit in the engine bay or under the dash.

Tuner in Training
    u really only need the module and not the metal part of it so they are not to big
    but at moment fords are crap haha

Advanced Tuner
    with the abs modules, do they have to match ba to ba, bf to bf etc or can they all be interchanged?
    do you need all 4 sensors hooked up and if so, is it possible to just splice the 4 inputs down to 2 or even 1?
    anything special need to be done for the abs module to talk to the pcm assuming all wiring to be correct?

also, ive swapped cradles in my fg to a ba xr8 one and tried using ba abs sensors with fg plugs but the system doesn't like it. I assume the sensors are too different between babf and fg. has anyone looked at how/why they're different?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by misk View Post
    with the abs modules, do they have to match ba to ba, bf to bf etc or can they all be interchanged?
    do you need all 4 sensors hooked up and if so, is it possible to just splice the 4 inputs down to 2 or even 1?
    anything special need to be done for the abs module to talk to the pcm assuming all wiring to be correct?

also, ive swapped cradles in my fg to a ba xr8 one and tried using ba abs sensors with fg plugs but the system doesn't like it. I assume the sensors are too different between babf and fg. has anyone looked at how/why they're different?
    You really need a can bus sniffer and to look at the line and see what is going on. You will chase your tail forever if you are just guessing and willy nilly swapping stuff.

Advanced Tuner
    why would I need a can bus sniffer? I mean, id love one to make a module that accepts any speed input and outputs the same as the abs module, but theres enough people that have added an abs module in engine swaps that there should be solid info out there, dunno what i'd do with a sniffer for these questions?

the abs module questions are in relation to wanting to run a zf in an engine conversion. the sensor question is for my actual fg, haven't done any random swapping yet.
    the sensors I assume are a different resistance or similar as in the past when I've tried splicing in to a wheel speed sensor in an au the abs module threw a code.

edit - wasn't asking as a smart ass lol, just wasn't sure what you were getting at.
    Last edited by misk; 03-23-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Bill, from memory although the ABS module may look different externally, I believe BA and BF/FG are very different due to DSC and use a different model of ABS module (5.1 vs 7.1 if my memory serves me correctly) that could be a reason why the BA sensor doesn't work the the FG module.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah I understand that part, was just curious if anyone had looked in to exactly how the sensor was different, why the module doesn't like it. it codes even when I just turn the car on, so not even to do with the wheels actually spinning. was more of a random question than me actually needing the answer.

Tuner
    I know that BA/BF sensorso are 5 volt, and FG are 12 volt as I have tested them.

Advanced Tuner
    the abs sensors?
    they're a variable reluctance sensor that creates a sine wave, are you talking about a -/+ peak?

Tuner
    No that's the voltage supplied to them. I unplugged a sensor on each model and probed the harness on the body with my multimeter.

Advanced Tuner
    any time I've dealt with a VR sensor in the past like cam or crank sensor there is like .05-1v, when the trigger passes a VR sensor it generates its own pulse, but i'll go check my fg, maybe abs is different?

Advanced Tuner
    it looks like the fg abs sends a 12vish pulse to the sensors when you turn it on, ba doesn't appear to do that at all.
    also the ba sensors are 1730ohm and unless I fucked up, the fg is around 12.3 million ohm. i'm hoping that increasing the resistance might help, no idea if it'll work like that though lol.

Tuner
    I'd say the B series would be the traditional passive type speed sensor, and the FG would be an active type sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Just change the VID block to a Ute config then the PCM will refer to the transmission output speed sensor.
    That will solve your ABS issues.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BOTDF View Post
    Just change the VID block to a Ute config then the PCM will refer to the transmission output speed sensor.
    That will solve your ABS issues.
    Are you referring to the VSS source under the Speedo menu or something else?

Advanced Tuner
    No it's something else it's a section of the binary file near the VIN & OS Strategy info that can be changed to suit different setups.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant LS1 View Post
    No it's something else it's a section of the binary file near the VIN & OS Strategy info that can be changed to suit different setups.
    I cant see where you are doing this from. Is there a hidden menu?
    Have you got a screen shot?

Tuner in Training
    The dealer can edit this configuration for you. I don't believe Hptuners has the functionality to change the VID.