Thread: Whats the smartest way to go about this? Possibly partially fried PCM...

Potential Tuner

Whats the smartest way to go about this? Possibly partially fried PCM...

Ok, here is my situation, I have a LS1/Auto swapped S10 that is using a PCM from a 2002 Silverado and the harness is pinned accordingly. The PCM came with the engine and was supposedly SD tuned to work with that engine in another S10. The truck runs and drive ok, even with the current problem.

The problem I am having is with the IAT reading 20*-30* higher than it should, so I can see IATs as high as 140*. When I measure the voltage on the signal wire, it is between 2-3V when it should be 5, and when disconnected, it reads 75* instead of -32*. I have checked everything, including multiple sensors, the harness wiring and even testing with an uncut IAT pigtail separately. Everything I do is leading me to believe that the IAT reference driver or whatever it is called in the PCM is bad, and I need to replace the PCM.

My question is, what is the best way to go about replacing the PCM with a good one and keep the tune from the current one without spending unnecessary credits? (I haven't licensed this PCM yet). Or am I better off starting with a fresh PCM, licensing it and re-tuning everything from scratch to work with my setup? The engine is stock minus longtubes and an intake.

If you change PCM's, and you're doing single vehicle/pcm licenses, you will have to license it, no matter what.

If you have a year/model license and the new PCM falls under that year/model, then it will be covered by what you have.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so just buying another PCM seems to be the best option. Is there a way to pull the tune from the old PCM without using two more extra credits?

You can read and save the tune from the old ecm and then use it to compare and copy and paste to New ecm

Potential Tuner
    I ended up doing that with a PCM from a 2001 Silverado, along with the stock transmission settings and most of the engine parameters from an '04 GTO. There were some parameters that wouldn't transfer over directly from the GTO ( O2 error for CL Proportional Idle and CL Proportional wouldn't accept values higher than 2.00 for example), I left those as stock from a Silverado.