Thread: Rev limiter manual BA turbo

Rev limiter manual BA turbo

Does anybody know if there is a way to make the rev limiter less intrusive on a BA xr6 turbo M6?
    When the etc limiter kicks in at 6000rpm it kills power completely and the car drops boost. Not much fun when power sliding.
    I tried setting the etc limit higher and the injector cut lower which works better but its very slow. is there a hysteresis for this that I am missing?

My old VE SS would happily hit rev limiter and just sit there for as long as I wanted maintaining rpm. My falcon feels like its trying to turn itself off

Obviously hitting limiter isn't ideal but it happens. Any help would be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you adjust the spark limiter as well?
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Hmm, i wasnt aware there was one. I will have to have another look.

Advanced Tuner
    One thing I found that helped my car at the track was to have the fuel cut limiter lower than the etc limiter. Not as harsh on the car.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Yeah i tried the same but i would like to be able to adjust the hysteresis for the fuel cut limiter. Its just too slow. I have aftermarket oil pump gears so im not too worried about breaking those

Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    One thing I found that helped my car at the track was to have the fuel cut limiter lower than the etc limiter. Not as harsh on the car.
    Yes, I have always raised the ETC limiter very high. The fuel cut responds quicker and can reenable fuel faster than the throttle can reopen, resulting in quicker ETs.

Can someone from Hptuners tell me if there is a fuel cut limiter hysteresis that exists in the ecu? Does it just need to be added? I can post my file up if needed

I have been playing around with a WotBox but I have given up on trying to use it as a rev limiter, way too unreliable. Waste of money

If I could set the factory limit to about 150 - 200 rpm instead of what feels like about 800rpm, it would be amazing

Would really appreciate any help

Tuner
    I am also interested in this, it would make for a much nicer limiter, it is available in the Gm E38 pcm's that I have calibrated

Advanced Tuner
    Just sent the fuel cut limiter a couple hundred rpm before the etc cut. It works nice on mine.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Yes thats how i have mine now but when drifting if you touch the limiter the car dies and it tries to straighten up then the power cuts back in and you go around in circles. Best way i can describe it haha. A smaller dead time would let me touch on the limiter but maintain power through a corner

Advanced Tuner
    Oh right!, Drifting!. Now I can see where you are coming from. That will be a little harder to set up. Have you tried a spark cut instead of fuel? I'd say it would be even more harsh though. Just to double check though. the ETC limiter is way up high so you definitiely aren't getting it? Don't happen to have a log whilst you are sliding it.
    -OSS
    -Engine RPM
    -Pedal position
    -ETC Angle
    -Spark advance

Just to 100% make sure.

I would get a log but now the diff has given up on me. once I get it sorted I will give it a shot.

These are my current settings

Untitled.png

I have thought about playing with the PI system for the etc limiter. Maybe I can get it to do what I want.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you have any luck mate the PI system? I tried being quite aggressive with mine and it will rev to 7100rpm no trouble. Not much quite like the thrill/fear of a long stroke barra at 7000rpm turning tyres. Never been a huge fan of doing big skids but it's growing on me now

Post your file, I'll go through and see if there is a hysteresis for the fuel cut limiter, I'd think there should be.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    That would be awesome Eric, I asked for exactly that a couple of years ago.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Post your file, I'll go through and see if there is a hysteresis for the fuel cut limiter, I'd think there should be.
    I have emailed my file for other reasons, you can look in there if OP doesn't send his through first

Sorry for the late reply, I got sidetracked with other problems with my POS.

I have attached my current tune. Hopefully there is an hysteresis hidden in there.

45T-XR - 7100Rpm? You are braver than me. I thought I was pushing it at 6200. Maybe I should go for 6500 and see what happens
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I built my engine, if it lets go...its on me lol

Ok so it turns out I was hitting the etc limiter all along.

I have read a few times that turning the torque module switch to off made the ecu do some strange things. The previous owner had turned it off and I never thought much of it. I decided to turn it on and see what happens... now I have working DFCO, traction control and most importantly a proper rev limiter that doesn't drop boost when you hit it.

After so much swearing and threatening to hit the ecu with a hammer it just turned out to be something simple. It makes sense now that the reason I was loosing all power at 6200 is because the throttle would just snap shut and the turbo would have to build pressure again. Damn fords hahaha