Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mustang GT Readiness Monitor

Advanced Tuner
    So I tested the changes I posted above on a car with long tubes and after 500 miles everything except o2 sensor and o2 heater was ready. I am thinking the transport delay and time constant might be reason why they won't go ready on a long tube equipped car.

I am testing some new changes, some of which include SCJ values, to see if it will work. Will report back once I find out more. If it works I'll post what changes it took make them work on here as well

Potential Tuner
    so In order to enabale readiness for the rear o2 sensors in a car without cats/aftermaker cats, I would just remove the DTCs for the rear o2s and drive it for 40mph for 4 miles? I could try JN2s settings to speed up the process is what we are saying?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd1986 View Post
    so In order to enabale readiness for the rear o2 sensors in a car without cats/aftermaker cats, I would just remove the DTCs for the rear o2s and drive it for 40mph for 4 miles? I could try JN2s settings to speed up the process is what we are saying?
    the settings I posted worked on a car equipped with the stock headers, it did not work on a car with long tubes though. So I am testing a few more things on the long tube car now.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    the settings I posted worked on a car equipped with the stock headers, it did not work on a car with long tubes though. So I am testing a few more things on the long tube car now.
    1. Be sure that FAOSC is enabled.
    2. Some strategies are different on the transport delay however it won't hurt to have that correct.
    3. Make sure fuel trims are good.
    4. You may need to adjust the o2 heater temp although I have had monitors ready with LT's on my personal car with LT's without adjusting....same with Kooks mid-length.

I double stack spark plug foulers for the rear o2's to get them out of the stream further. I have had to use some steel wool on one car that would throw a CEL anyway. All of the other cars have not had to do this with even though they have the same exhaust.

Advanced Tuner
    So here is some more info I was able to find using the car that I did get to finally pass the o2 sensor and o2 heater monitor.

Mods:
    AEM intake(no MAF curve changes)
    Pypes 3" O/R mid H pipe
    MBRB 3" cat back exhaust

So when the car would not complete the o2 sensor and o2 monitor test the rear o2 voltages would be .9v after doing the drive cycle. What I was able to gather is:

higher voltage = richer AF(.59 volts turns into about .98 lambda)
    Lower voltage = leaner AF

FullSizeRender.jpg

It looks like the define maximum allows is .5976 volts. How ever there doesn't seem to be any table that we can see now that allows to raise this value. If it was there we could simply max it out and not need to change anything else.

Now onto the data after we got it to pass. So this is applying the changes I mentioned in Post #:39

Here I only made a small changes to tip temp, exhaust temp, and raised the maximum voltage from the OEM value of 1.1v to a value of 1.9v. Doing this let the monitors finally pass(after the 40mph for 4 miles drive cycle) with a value of .17-.20v(which is well below the maximum .5976 volts).

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

To note, both of the previous images had Catalysts come up as "Ready". How ever the first one never let o2 sensor and o2 heater go ready, the second one did.
    Last edited by Jn2; 05-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.

...It looks like the define maximum allows is .5976 volts. How ever there doesn't seem to be any table that we can see now that allows to raise this value. If it was there we could simply max it out and not need to change anything else....
    That's mode 6 data for cat monitor converted to the older style index ratios. If this is what's holding your o2 test back, try enabling p0420/p0430 and increase the cat monitor thresholds under Engine Diag -> Exhaust. I typically triple the stock values.

Potential Tuner
    When you say stock headers do you still have cats? The 15-17 GTs are different and have the cats built into the headers. I was asking specifically about cars without cats.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    That's mode 6 data for cat monitor converted to the older style index ratios. If this is what's holding your o2 test back, try enabling p0420/p0430 and increase the cat monitor thresholds under Engine Diag -> Exhaust. I typically triple the stock values.
    Only a few coyote strategies have those options. Of all the coyotes I have tuned I have only seen those options on two 2012's strategies. None of the other 11-14's I've done have had them. I'm thinking only certain strategies may have them defined. Maybe I'll email support and see if they can add them in.

The 2012's that had it was a FPDN053 and FSDN152

These are the ones that do not:
    FPDM3AA <--2011
    FPFD1AA <--2013
    FPFD1B5 <--2013
    FPFD3B5 <--2014
    Last edited by Jn2; 05-16-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Here's something to scan if you have the ability, to see if any of these are hanging your test up. If one is showing not completed then we can focus more on that.

o2 monitor mode 6 data (non-continuous):

Monitor ID Test ID DTC units

01 87 P0133 seconds
    01 88 P0133 seconds
    05 87 P0153 seconds
    05 88 P0153 seconds
    41 81 P0053 amps
    45 81 P0059 amps
    02 01 P0136/P2270/P2271 volts
    06 01 P0156/P2272/P2273 volts
    02 85 P013A mV/sec
    02 86 P013E msec
    06 85 P013C mV/sec
    06 86 P014A msec
    42 81 P0054 amps
    46 81 P0060 amps
    42 82 P00D2 kOhm
    46 82 P00D4 kOhm

I'll edit this to provide the failure thresholds when I have time if your scan tool doesn't provide them. Some like P0133 aren't really cut and dry.

I have a friend with a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang that is having this same problem. Looking at Mode 6 data showed P013A and P013E wouldn't complete which correlate to the monitor and test ID I listed for those DTCs above. The car is running higher boost than stock, a supplemental fuel system, and no catalytic converter. It appears there may be values for this test similar to the catalyst test that aren't defined in any software yet. I'm not sure if that's holding up other cars as this is a single bank 4 cylinder and I'm not sure what it's going to take yet to allow the o2/heated o2 to pass. I'll keep the thread updated when I figure out more.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    I have a friend with a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang that is having this same problem. Looking at Mode 6 data showed P013A and P013E wouldn't complete which correlate to the monitor and test ID I listed for those DTCs above. The car is running higher boost than stock, a supplemental fuel system, and no catalytic converter. It appears there may be values for this test similar to the catalyst test that aren't defined in any software yet. I'm not sure if that's holding up other cars as this is a single bank 4 cylinder and I'm not sure what it's going to take yet to allow the o2/heated o2 to pass. I'll keep the thread updated when I figure out more.

I ended up making an "off road, not for highway use emissions tune", turned off all monitors except Fuel System, EGR, and Misfire. Car passes those 3 monitors with the rest NA when I bring it up on the scanner. This is not a set up you wanna drive on, just one you swap to when you do need all your monitors to go ready, then swap back to your normal tune when you no longer then them all to be ready

It doesn't work in all states, some now track which monitors the vehicle is factory equipped with. Values I use on a Copperhead don't seem to work the same for the Tricore. He's going with Vibrant o2 extenders (visual isn't a problem) until I can dig into this a little deeper. Car is off highway only but needs valid state credentials for certain race events.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
    Has anybody tried setting the offending codes to no error reported?
    Yeah, that is how I set them up, by setting the codes to not ready the Catalyst Monitor will show "passed" how ever your o2 monitor and o2 heater will never actually complete and will stay stuck on "Not Ready" since the car didn't actually pass the catalysts test itself due to second o2's exceeding the threshold in the pics you see in my previous post.

So doing it that way will let every monitor except o2 monitor and heater to pass, and most states will fail you if you have more than 1 monitor in not ready. Also you cannot just disable the o2 heater monitor or the o2 monitor independently, while they are independent in the tune, when you flash the file to the car, both monitor will still show up. You need to disable them together to make them both NA, how ever this means the catalyst test will never go Pass and will now show Not ready the entire time. So you need to disable it as well to go NA.

Also when you disable th2 o2 test monitor you also disable the widebands, they stop sending a signal, when logging they never actually report any signal and ECM runs off stoich all the time.
    Last edited by Jn2; 07-28-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Seems like it would be a serious concern if disabling the monitors shuts off the widebands. Particularly in a boosted car. You still need to drive it some to get the rest of the monitors to pass. Would have to stay out of the throttle the whole time or risk damage.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
    Seems like it would be a serious concern if disabling the monitors shuts off the widebands. Particularly in a boosted car. You still need to drive it some to get the rest of the monitors to pass. Would have to stay out of the throttle the whole time or risk damage.

Am I understanding that correctly?
    My method passes after a few miles, usually the drive to inspection shop, there is no need to do drive cycles bc the monitors that are left enabled pass by just turning the Key. Once the car passes, put the previous tune back on and you are good. Customer needs to drive slow and low load the entire time until you can put their normal tune back on

Advanced Tuner
    So I am doing some more work this. I made a strategy change on my personal vehicle to one that does have the Catalytic Thresholds defined(FPFD2AA). I then did what was recommended a few posts ago, which was triple the values in these thresholds.

The car has the following mods:

CJ manifold, PMAS intake, Long tube headers, X pipe, Axle backs, lu47's on flex fuel tune. Fuel trims are +/- 3%

The car passed every monitor but "o2 monitor" and "o2 heater" would always appear as not ready(not passed or failed). What I changed is the thresholds along with P0420/P0430 set to their default setting of "Dash Error Msg"

Monitor when checked with a scan tool shows the min/max values for the test as the following:

Max: .5976 volts
    Min: 0 volts

Stock values:
    stock pid.PNG

New values(3x multiplier)
    pids.PNG

I'll double check later today on whether these changes increase the max value since O/R cars tend to be in the .9xxx volt range
    Last edited by Jn2; 08-02-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    So tripling the Thresholds did not work, the car did throw a P0420/P0430 code after a few miles of testing(freeze frame shows 51km)...I'm attaching the freeze frame data for those who may be curious :

pic.jpg

What I tried next is doing a 1.5x multiplier to the previously tripled values. Drove it about the same distance as before and there is no pending code or permanent codes set, how ever the catalyst monitors haven't set yet so it could still come up. Will keep updating thread as I keep working on this thing...Goal is to get catalyst and o2 monitor and heater to complete with our error with out touching the DTC codes
    Last edited by Jn2; 08-03-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I ended up making an "off road, not for highway use emissions tune", turned off all monitors except Fuel System, EGR, and Misfire. Car passes those 3 monitors with the rest NA when I bring it up on the scanner. This is not a set up you wanna drive on, just one you swap to when you do need all your monitors to go ready, then swap back to your normal tune when you no longer then them all to be ready

I am messing with an ecoboost I've done a similar tune for. My problem is that I can't get it to complete the "fuel system" to save my life. I've tried following Fords trip to ready that monitor with no success.