Thread: How do I get started learing this stuff??

Potential Tuner

How do I get started learing this stuff??

Hey guys I have read the hlp file and I still have no idea whats going on. well I mean how do you know what to change to make more hp? Some guy say that all they have done is change parameters and thier cars are runnin 11 and stuff. How did they do that? Any help would be apprecited. Thanx

Advanced Tuner
    Take a look at the FAQ's. A good one to read through is the V6 one in the V6 tuning forum. It really is a learning curve, and HPT is set up great for that. They have display levels from beginner to expert that let you see more and more detail in the things you can edit.

Most of the guys who can tweak a few things and run 11's have been tuning for years, you just need to dive in and learn what tables affect what performance in your car, like timing and fuel.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

its not so much about tweaking this or that, its about making the car run right. it doesnt take much to get an ls1 into the 11's. give your car the a/f ratio it wants and timing it wants to make max power and torque
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Potential Tuner
    Hey ws6 how do I know how much of that my motor wants thanx for the responses guys tahnx alot shifted

all depends on the setup, some cars liek the AFR in the upper 12's and some like it in the low 13's. timing is very dependant on your setup as well as AFR
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Here's a quicky on spark advance:

If you leave the fuel alone (assuming its close), try reducing spark a couple degrees. If the engine goes leaner than the previous run it's using the fuel better (more efficient).

If the AFR doesn't change, put the spark back & try increasing it by a couple degrees. If AFR leans out then you needed the spark. If it knocks... Drop it back again, because "you're there".

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    lol ok

Tuner in Training
    How much can you gain w/tuning on a stock car?

depends, 5 hp or 20 hp, could be more could be less. just depends how far it is off

Tuner in Training
    Ok so my car runs rich how spark should I reduce and how do I do it?

just becuase your car is rich doesnt mean you need to adjust spark. get the fueling right

Start moving the fuel around (sounds like less fuel is needed to me). F-bodies are calibrated rich from GM to begin with.

If you have a wideband that is your best resource for the AFR.
    (I have a PLX Devices version and the only one on the forum with one so far... hehehe)
    If you have the EIO version then you can wire in the wideband directly otherwise you're going to have be a MS Excel jockey for copy & paste functions.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    EC_Tune, that copy & paste function, can that info once plugged in be used to tune the PCM? If so, are the numbers programmed into the PCM or are there other perameters that get adjusted to arrive @ the desired numbers?

Thanks