Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flex fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Received the update, all makes sense now. Way to go Eric, much appreciated. I will begin Flex Fuel testing tonight.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    Received the update, all makes sense now. Way to go Eric, much appreciated. I will begin Flex Fuel testing tonight.

Kris
    I'm still kinda new to this so sorry if its a stupid question, you will NOT be able to just put E85 in and start driving it around will you as the car will need tweaks to the tune/timing still right?
    2015 Mustang GT, PP, HP Tuners VCM, K&N drop in, AIRAID CAI intake tube, Steeda drop springs, trans mount, shifter bracket, sub frame bushing kit, Diff bushing kit, sub frame alignment pins, American Muscle 19x10 PP rear wheels, 305/35r19 MT drag radials.

Tuner
    You can use it. You just may need to tweak timing, usually up. A load bearing dyno to find mbt on e85, and then let the knock sensors take care of anything less than e85... or be crafty and manipulate one of the cars sensors to help modify timing.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 01-22-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Tuner
    If you have no dyno.... just compare your file to one of the truck files and try to get close. Do some good estimates and calculations to account for your engine and mods. Do some scanning and modify as needed... and have fun doing it.

It'll be easier once all of the ethanol spark tables are in.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 01-22-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    awesome work Eric! cant wait to play with it!

Anyone have a 2011-2014 F150 Flex Fuel file? I'm just curious to see how ford populated everything.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Flex Fuel parameters added to the 2015+ Mustang GT and GT350 definitions.

Note: These do not have the spark modifiers for Flex Fuel for whatever reason.

I'll be updating the scanner with more DMRs to help with dialing in the Flex Fuel stuff.
    Thank You!

I just finished writing a tune. And I rescaled the row axis of the Ethanol% vs. Afr and populated the table. Will we be able to log the ethanol percentages on the scanner? I'm really excited. Just need this Damn rain storm to pass so I can drive it and not put it in the ditch.
    2016 GT f1A, E85 RIP!
    2017 GT TWIN 6466
    2020 F150 RCSB Whipple Gen 5, Fore triple, on corn

Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Anyone have a 2011-2014 F150 Flex Fuel file? I'm just curious to see how ford populated everything.
    I have one I can post up Monday
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by 2qwk4ya View Post
    Thank You!

I just finished writing a tune. And I rescaled the row axis of the Ethanol% vs. Afr and populated the table. Will we be able to log the ethanol percentages on the scanner? I'm really excited. Just need this Damn rain storm to pass so I can drive it and not put it in the ditch.
    The is a PID for it that might work, but I will be adding the DMR soon .
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Flex fuEl is working beautifully in my s550 now. The alcohol percentage PID is also reading the percentage of ethanol content beautifully as well. Great job Eric!!!

I have mine setup but not activated yet since I am trying to perfect my MAF curve / smallest trims possible everywhere so the O2 sensors are accurate reading alcohol % as well....

What did you do for Alcohol Spark? As in, blending.....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I have mine setup but not activated yet since I am trying to perfect my MAF curve / smallest trims possible everywhere so the O2 sensors are accurate reading alcohol % as well....

What did you do for Alcohol Spark? As in, blending.....
    Currently I am using the parameters that the F150 targeted for blending and I am relying on the knock sensor to advance timing based on ethanol content, and surprisingly, it's doing a great job. I'm running 44.7% of ethanol and the knock sensor is adding up to 2-3 degrees of ignition advance. I am seeing a high of 29 to 30 degrees of ignition advance around 6800rpm.

Currently I am using the parameters that the F150 targeted for blending and I am relying on the knock sensor to advance timing based on ethanol content, and surprisingly, it's doing a great job. I'm running 44.7% of ethanol and the knock sensor is adding up to 2-3 degrees of ignition advance. I am seeing a high of 29 to 30 degrees of ignition advance around 6800rpm.
    cool. you left mbt tables, etc stock?

Advanced Tuner
    No, my MBT tables are altered. MBT is at a peak of 32 degrees. I am relying on the knock sensor to do its thing up to that point.

Kris

No, my MBT tables are altered. MBT is at a peak of 32 degrees. I am relying on the knock sensor to do its thing up to that point.

Kris
    Which brings us back to the old time question, does MBT change because of a change in fuel (I don't think so) and is MBT directly related to engine geometry or is it a simple air mass issue?

And on top of it, are the MBT tables in the stock Ford tune super accurate? I always sort of thought to leave those stock and work as a ceiling for the relationship between MBT and pump gas knock....?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Which brings us back to the old time question, does MBT change because of a change in fuel (I don't think so) and is MBT directly related to engine geometry or is it a simple air mass issue?

And on top of it, are the MBT tables in the stock Ford tune super accurate? I always sort of thought to leave those stock and work as a ceiling for the relationship between MBT and pump gas knock....?
    That's a good question. I think if an increase in power is able to be achieved by raising MBT because of an increase in octane or ethanol, then an increase should be considered. However, if there is no power to be made and you can advance timing with no knock and no power gain, then why do it at all. I certainly do not feel comfortable allowing the ECU to advance more than 30 degrees. More time will determine if the added timing is aiding or hindering me.

Kris

That's a good question. I think if an increase in power is able to be achieved by raising MBT because of an increase in octane or ethanol, then an increase should be considered. However, if there is no power to be made and you can advance timing with no knock and no power gain, then why do it at all. I certainly do not feel comfortable allowing the ECU to advance more than 30 degrees. More time will determine if the added timing is aiding or hindering me.

Kris
    The other thing that sucks is how difficult it is to measure and adjust for best timing at part throttle because you have to adjust the MP tables and they blend so you don't really know where the spark value is coming from. I have even been inclined to make them all the same to see what happens.

I am almost to the point of simplifying the VCT, IMRC, and spark tables to make it about 3 different cams (IMRC closed, open, and OP).

You can narrow down part throttle spark in the mapped point but it takes a lot of time and testing. I have been working on that for a while now. In the beginning, if I had a 30 min log, it would take an hour and a half to go through it and make the adjustments. Then it got faster as less adjustment was needed. Plus the funny thing about having all these mapped points with full spark tables is half of the tables' values aren't used. For example, you don't see MP 25 used at low load, or at least I haven't. Same goes for 0-6, they only are used at low load. So you end up not really messing with the full table.

One day, when I think I've gotten VCT and everything else perfect, I think I may try renormalizing all the mapped points based off of the loads and rpm ranges they are used. That way I can get more definition out of them in the areas they are used. I don't know how much of any benefit I'll get from it, but it just seems logical since there are some points that have big gaps. Above 5000 rpm would be a good example.

Kris, how long is it taking your car to adapt to the ethanol?

Quote Originally Posted by rhinogt View Post
    Kris, how long is it taking your car to adapt to the ethanol?
    In the tune it looks like you specify the time spent between two air mass setting also of your choice.

For example, 5 seconds between 2 lb/min and 8 lb/min and whatever the trims work out is where the % lands.

I think I would tighten it up a little bit, maybe 10 seconds between 2 and 4 or something like that. I will log steady cruise and see where it is, so I can hold 2000 RPM and let it learn.