Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Flex fuel

Advanced Tuner
    With flex fuel enabled and about 45 min of driving, the car starting acting right, however it wasn't great. The 02s were doing a terrible job at calculating ethanol content. The fuel was E70 and the car thought it was e53. Reflashed the car to a e70 specific tune targeting e70 stoich and it ran horribly. Never adjusted after 2 hours of driving. Burned all of the ethanol out, put 93 back into the tank, flashed the 93 map on the car and it ran like a champ again. Not sure what the deal was on this 2012 and ethanol...

Kris

I had to turn off the flex fuel option and just change the stoich values to E85 content and tune It that way. Car ran great but customer would really like the flex fuel for out of town trips

Advanced Tuner
    I tried that and it did not work either. I think the o2s on this car might be an issue.

Kris

Advanced Tuner
    Did you run a ethanol percentage test on it to confirm it was e70? Pump e85 is very inconstant between stations.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Did you run a ethanol percentage test on it to confirm it was e70? Pump e85 is very inconstant between stations.
    It's e70. Our pumps are actually consistently 70% ethanol. Never gets any worse, summer blend is usually close to 85%, just haven't seen it yet. I think something perhaps may be up with his intake and his o2 sensors. Since the coyote ecu corrects for ethanol with fuel trims, I was having a hard time getting the fuel trims to stay around 0% correction. Even with altering the MAF airflow vs period, the car would not listen. Many other cars I have tuned with decent intakes, was very easy to get the correction <1% everywhere. I think this might be playing a role in the issues as well.

Kris

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    It's e70. Our pumps are actually consistently 70% ethanol. Never gets any worse, summer blend is usually close to 85%, just haven't seen it yet. I think something perhaps may be up with his intake and his o2 sensors. Since the coyote ecu corrects for ethanol with fuel trims, I was having a hard time getting the fuel trims to stay around 0% correction. Even with altering the MAF airflow vs period, the car would not listen. Many other cars I have tuned with decent intakes, was very easy to get the correction <1% everywhere. I think this might be playing a role in the issues as well.

Kris
    What type of intake is he running? If the MAF doesn't have a few inches of straight pipe in front of it then he may need to add a air straightener.

Treadstone carries a 3.5" and 4".

I've been debating getting one for my FRPP cobra jet intake. Fuel trims and +/- 2% during most pulls, but on decal and idle it like to bounce around a bit. After looking at the FRPP tube it is slightly curved with a hump coupler 3" in front of the MAF.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not sure of the brand, I've never heard of it before when I saw it. Some random 3 letter brand. I am running Steeda and my MAF curve is really really good in comparison.

Kris

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand, I've never heard of it before when I saw it. Some random 3 letter brand. I am running Steeda and my MAF curve is really really good in comparison.

Kris
    Yeah this Steeda intake has a straight section in front of the MAF. Does he have a JLT intake? That's the only 3 letter brane I can think of.

Advanced Tuner
    Unfortunately not, that's how cheap it is lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RickClarke23 View Post
    Anyone have a glitch after enabling the flex fuel logic the cars spark table gets stuck in "Emission reduction cold start"
    Found this searching. Just thought I would share that I just experienced this "glitch" where spark source would get stuck in emissions reduction cold start once flex fuel was enabled. Strategy is FPFD1AA. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I started back tracking until I found that enabling flex fuel caused the issue. I'm full flashing a different cal to see what happens.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by curt@injected View Post
    Found this searching. Just thought I would share that I just experienced this "glitch" where spark source would get stuck in emissions reduction cold start once flex fuel was enabled. Strategy is FPFD1AA. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I started back tracking until I found that enabling flex fuel caused the issue. I'm full flashing a different cal to see what happens.
    Yeah the issue is indeed related to flex fuel. I emailed support a few hours ago about it, hopefully Eric can figure it out. Someone has mentioned that in SCT there is a "cold start retard - alcohol", I'm willing to bet that table it probably what need to be modified along with the other one mentioned.

Another Idea I'm having is to maybe increase the "OL/CL Cold Start ECT" and set it to something higher, that way it doesnt even consider a cold start a cold start, but then that might cause other unforeseeable issues due to it starting up to a "warm engine" all the time

yep never figured this out. hopefully it can get resolved as I have return customers I am having to tune full e85 and not use the flex fuel option.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah the issue is indeed related to flex fuel. I emailed support a few hours ago about it, hopefully Eric can figure it out. Someone has mentioned that in SCT there is a "cold start retard - alcohol", I'm willing to bet that table it probably what need to be modified along with the other one mentioned.

Another Idea I'm having is to maybe increase the "OL/CL Cold Start ECT" and set it to something higher, that way it doesnt even consider a cold start a cold start, but then that might cause other unforeseeable issues due to it starting up to a "warm engine" all the time
    The different cal didnt fix it but i did choose FPFD2AA. Ive done a bunch of s550's flex but only a couple copperheads. Haven't had this issue though.

Pretty sure that CSSR table for Alcohol is the culprit. I'll get it added.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Ya we need FN2002D_PM added. Max allowed spark cold start alcohol

Edit: Set this table to 55's from 0's and it fixed it. Hopefully Eric will get this added to HPT soon so that ya'll who are having issues will be able to fix it.
    Last edited by curt@injected; 12-29-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Pretty sure that CSSR table for Alcohol is the culprit. I'll get it added.

Awesome! This should help a lot of us who have ran into this Could you let us know when it's added so we can update

Senior Tuner
    Very happy about a possible fix. I have people wanting flex fuel on their Mustangs and I know I've missed out on a couple jobs because they went with Lund or AED remote tuning for flex fuel but said they would have had me tune their car if I had been able to get flex fuel to work.

any update?

Advanced Tuner
    I was wondering about this too, Eric did you get the chance to add the table you reference a few posts above?

I have a 2017 and enabled everything and copied the tables from the f150, but my alcohol percentage never changes in the scanner. Are there any issues, or tables missing for the 2017?