Thread: 1997 Jeep XJ auto - leans out and is undrivable but runs/revs perfect in park

Tuner in Training

1997 Jeep XJ auto - leans out and is undrivable but runs/revs perfect in park

Help please

Ok so a 1997 Jeep XJ fitted with 800cc injectors in prep for boost (GM 2bar map sensor on order and waiting) so still utilising the stock map sensor, but taking the oppurtunity to dial in one item at a time.

So we have gotten the injectors fitted, dialled in at idle with closed loop off, pulsewidth of 2.1ms total (latency of 512 plus 1,516ms) idles nicely and rock solid at 13,80 AFR - tail pipe wide band sniffer which remains the same even if the exhaust pipe is blocked forcing everything through the sniffer, I have changed the EGR off fuel table and it revs up beautifully Park, doesnt stumble, doesnt run too rich or lean, sounds mean and normal, the jeep rocks when revved, it seems sweet, however once in Drive / Reverse it becomes an absolute dog, leaning out to 18s and 19s and of course cant even get out of its own way, you can hear the engine lean popping and the second it goes into gear the afr begins to lean out, regardless of how you pump the throttle

So at idle in Park its fine (afr of 13.80, engine calculated load 4.7%, MAP/vacuum of 40, coolant temp of 80 odd deg c so well past any warmup tables)
    The second it goes into gear the following happens, (afr jumps instantly to 15.5, total injector pulse at 2.156 ms, engine calculated load is 5.1%, map vacuum goes to 45) then as you try drive it the afr keeps leaning out to 18s, 19s and 20s, the engine lean pops, and MAP/ vacuum reduces to 100

What on earth is going on ?

if you put it in gear and hold the brake pedal down hard and rev it against the transmission, the afrs and load are where they should be, and it sounds like an engine ready to go ie MAP/ vacuum in the 40/45 and the afr of 12.5/13 but the second you try drive and come off the brake it goes crazy and leans out

I can only find tables that change the ignition timing when in park / drive and these are only valid until 1584 rpm, so once past 1584 rpm then they are ignored and the main ignition tables used - is my definition missing some tables ? are there similir fuel load compensation tables my defintion doesnt have?

Any ideas welcomed please, this is tearing hair out stuff

Tuner in Training
    havent tried putting stock injecotrs back in
    what other info would you need ?