Thread: How do we feel about this $70 tablet with HPT?

How do we feel about this $70 tablet with HPT?

Looking for an inexpensive but easy solution for swapping between E85 and gasoline on the go, and I'm tempted to pick up a tablet and keep the HPT cable in the car. What do you guys think? Is this a good solution? I could keep it in a fabbed box in the trunk and swap tunes when necessary. First off, here are the specs from the website:

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Encore.../dp/B00NJQADMW
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Advanced Tuner
    Why not get an ethanol content sensor and let the PCM do the hard work for you? That way it would adjust on the fly no matter the ethanol to gas ratio.

Gonna bump this. Running an ethanol sensor isn't practical at the moment. I swapped to E47 semi-permanently but would still love to know if this is a legit tablet that I could keep with me or convenience. Thanks!

Tuner
    It'll run on that, I'm running it on a comparable 10 tablet with the same processor, I do have 2 gig of ram though so yours will be a little bit slower.. it's workable though, definitely workable..

Only issue I do see is I don't think it comes with a regular USB connection, think I saw a mini-usb connection in the pics, you'd need to find an adapter..

Just for fyi, mine is the 10" winbook tablet from Microcenter.. I think the 10" model is $179 now.. They have a 7" for $70 too, and that one has a full size usb..

That's very helpful. Will probably be looking into that T700/800 tablet. Can't beat the price.

Tuner
    btw.. It looks like the microcenter 7" version only has 1 gig of ram.. Personally I would go up to the 8" just for that reason.. If cost is a major factor so be it but you cannot add more ram to these down the road like regular laptops..

I myself was wondering about that 179 dollar tablet and was wondering how it would perform.

Tuner
    I'm using it, originally I bought it for use at my work at the dealership..
    sps,tech2win,gds2,data bus diag tool, etc all work great on this.. GDS2 is the biggest program that we run and this little 10" tablet from microcenter runs it with ease.. For HP tuners it does take about 4 seconds from when I start the editor until it's open and ready to run but it programs just fine, the scanner seems to log just fine, the standalone is broken so I have too keep using the tablet for logging and it hasn't had an issue keeping up with the data.. Only possible downside is battery life, not as much as an $800 surface pro but plenty good enough for me.. The touch screen is a little difficult imo using the editor but it is functional.. I examine my logs by saving the data to a usb drive and transfering them to my desktop for a much larger screen(22")..

was that a dig on my surface pro thomas? lol for the money the win book is great.impressive really...but i'm impatient so the 8 gigs of ram on the surface lets me stream music while typing this and flip easily between browsers and hpeditor until the day i drop it and cry.

For those working on budget tablets, post the tablet you have and let me know how VCM Suite 2.25 performs on it.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Howes View Post
    was that a dig on my surface pro thomas? lol for the money the win book is great.impressive really...but i'm impatient so the 8 gigs of ram on the surface lets me stream music while typing this and flip easily between browsers and hpeditor until the day i drop it and cry.

lmao, Matt, not a dig at all.. your got better battery life, 4 times as much ram as me, and a whole lot more processing power.. I was just commenting that my battery life doesn't seem as good as yours either, I figured the rest was pretty obvious.. You know I like cheap, so when I close a hood on it I can just shrug and buy another one..

As far as 2.25 I have been running it on my tablet and it has been fine.. no major issues, just the size of the screen.. It's a winbook 10" from microcenter, price is $179 last I checked..

In general l I wish I had more screen control, font size, ability to slide a table to make it bigger and the data inside re-sized along with the window, etc.. Really I am just using it to write the tunes to the truck I made on my desktop and log.. I am still waiting somewhat patiently to be able to stand alone log so for right now I am using the tablet a lot just to do the logs with..

One downside of the tablet is that it only has one full size usb port and its powered even when the tablet is powered off.. Found out leaving hptuner plugged in overnight to the tablet really seems to shorten the battery life, lol.. Now I have to unplug it when I'm done.. I also have to stop the log, save it to the tablet, unplug hptuner and plug in usb drive to then finally save the log tothe usb drive.. The opposite occurs when I am writing a tune.. Desktop to usb drive.. usb drive to tablet, unplug usb dre and plug in hp tuner.. write tune to vehicle..

I'm using a Dell XPS 12" and a HP Stream 7............running the software on either is annoying. I keep going back to my larger laptop.

surface pro 2 intel i-5 2.5 ghz 8gigz ram 256g hard drive windows 8 64 bit. on super sale when i bought it on amazon for like 800 bucks. works great may be a considering factor in divōrce lmfao. so it's ok to hog the tv and surf your smart phone but if i am on my tablet learning and trying to tune i am an inconsiderate ass hole. yeah i love my tablet!!!!! plus u can velcro it to a steering column to be your new high tech red neck gauges. in all seriousness u NEED a bigger screen and a regular keyboard to tune easily. the pop up keyboard gets in the way. but it works

Tuner in Training
    A member on Grandprixforums.net uses the $79 HP Stream 7 with a micro usb to usb 2.0 adapter and it works fine with 1gb of ram. I picked up the Unbranded 10" windows tablet in a bundle pack from BestBuy on sale for $149.99. Works fine and loads a bit faster with the 2gb of ram. Plus the keyboard it came with has a normal usb 2.0 port and trackpad mouse with make editing easier but not optimal.
    2009.5 SBM Pontiac G8 GT / Vararam CAI / Pat G Tune / HP Tuners / x-pipe mid muffler delete

Tuner in Training
    I tried it on a Dell Venue Pro 8. It will connect to the PCM, but will not scan.
    2014 HO SRT8 Core Challenger M6
    Petty Front Strut Bar and HP Tuners Beta

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tek1229 View Post
    One downside of the tablet is that it only has one full size usb port and its powered even when the tablet is powered off.. Found out leaving hptuner plugged in overnight to the tablet really seems to shorten the battery life, lol.. Now I have to unplug it when I'm done.. I also have to stop the log, save it to the tablet, unplug hptuner and plug in usb drive to then finally save the log tothe usb drive.. The opposite occurs when I am writing a tune.. Desktop to usb drive.. usb drive to tablet, unplug usb dre and plug in hp tuner.. write tune to vehicle..
    I just bought a 10" Winbook yesterday. I installed HPT and got it to recognize the interface but haven't done any read/write yet. I mostly use HPT to diagnose issues/read codes at the track so having the tablet is great for me.

In reference to your issue of transfering files, you can use the micro-USB port. You can use an OTG cable (Amazon has inexpensive ones) and then just plug your flash drive into that and have both plugged in and functional at the same time.

Alternately, you could use Dropbox to sync the files between the desktop and tablet automatically. Get Dropbox if you don't already have it. ----> https://db.tt/yArBZzU
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06